Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarket Price Increases [Groceries]

Options
1747576777880»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Was at my local Centra this morning, around 8:30am. Queue for the deli counter of about 8 people, (quieter than usual for that time but no school goers) - it was mostly lads in workwear and high viz getting various combinations of breakfast or chicken fillet rolls. No one asked for prices.

While awaiting my turn to order I had a good look around, and while there was a pricelist (tiny A4 sized) for individual hot food items, there was no price list or guide price of any kind on display for the salad bar items, filled rolls or sandwiches.

(A small rotisserie chicken, by my visual estimation around 1.2kg if not even smaller, was €9! 😲. They used to be €6 and expensive at that price!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The shop are solely to blame here for this though. Not the customer. Their model is to lure you into the the purchase by not being clear on the final costs. As others have stated the deli assistant won't know the final price until they put it into their system. The shop are hoping you will just buy it anyway. As many do.

It's not a dick move. It's my money. The only dicks here are the shops who are trying to fleece customers by not clearly displaying prices and upselling.

The delis are to blame.

I've noticed this too. You can usually clearly see that 5 sausage rolls etc will be 3 euro. Now I think that's good enough value.

But yeah on the rolls and salads you'd have a better chance at deciphering Egyptian hieroglyphics. Two spoons of coleslaw in the local centra comes to 3.50. I also notice that the weighing scales were removed and you now have to weight at the till when paying. 😀. I wonder why that was. Again I left the tub behind at the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭bren2001

As others have stated the deli assistant won't know the final price until they put it into their system

Most of the time I've asked, the deli assistant knows the price. Where a deli uses weight to determine the price, they've given me a ballpark.

It's interesting that the people who are telling you the deli assistants won't know the price are also the people who don't ask for a price…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,647 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It'll be a soggy mess - where is the moisture it will have taken on from the freezing process going to go?

Both options are not appetising and part of the reason you can't make anything more than grim, identical sandwiches for a single person over multiple days without significant food waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭EarWig

That's the attitude.

Their role is to promote competition.

It's interesting that you are the only one who has admitted to asking for a price at the deli for a roll that hasn't been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,371 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

nothing wrong with defrosted bread for gods sake.
    Sure when a family does weekly shopping they’d get 2-3 sliced pans, they keep one sliced pan out to use straight away and the other two are frozen to keep them fresh for when they’re needed.
    You can buy packs of ham with 4 slices in the pack- that’s 2 sandwiches at 1 a day.
    So no waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭drury..

• Advertisement

I'm another who won't eat previously frozen bread. It just never tastes the same to me, as fresh.

i wasn't the first person to suggest it on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 32,658 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I do buy the McCambridge and freeze portions for toasting

I seriously doubt most people are freezing sliced pans

Sure ya taking up half your freezer space

• Registered Users Posts: 10,371 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So what do people do with the multiple sliced pans that are in their trolley- you’d hardly eat all three sliced pans at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Buying a lunch every work day for a year. Say you include a drink and a crisps packet. That's 5000 euro from your gross salary. It adds up over a number of years

• Registered Users Posts: 24,763 ✭✭✭✭zell12

edit:-

If you have access to a fridge in work it's better to buy your few sandwich bits for 3 or 4 days and make it there and then. I wouldn't eat a sambo sitting in my bag or a lunchbox for 4 or 5 hours either.

Anyways that's off topic I suppose.

Yeah I see prices creeping up everywhere. At least with most sectors they will be advertised or clearly communicated to the customer. Most Delis are breaking the law by not doing this. Yet for some reason the customer is to blame again 🙄

A slicepan would be something I stop to buy fresh. Along with meat from a butcher. I generally don't freeze either. Freezing is for pizzas and cheap chicken !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭jj880

We buy 6 sliced pan per run to Aldi. Into a chest freezer it goes. Now if we fancy a bacon sambo we would go to the local shop and get a fresh loaf. l have to agree most of the frozen stuff gets toasted or used in the toastie machine. Id be more fond of a wrap and pasta for a pre-prepared lunch for example. Anyway delis need to display prices for everything to show customers some respect in the first instance. If they do this then everything would be fine. I find it bizarre the main debate seems to be the asking / not asking for a price. Shops are acting the bollix because theres more profit in not displaying. Seems pretty obvious.

Only two of us in this house, and one of us doesn't eat bread. I presume people with multiple sliced pans have a couple of kids to make lunches for or plenty of freezer space?

I buy a half size multigrain pan in Aldi every couple of days, probably less than two a week. That does me for my breakfast toast and the odd sandwich I make at home myself.

Only WFO one day a week now, so buy my lunch out on that day. I could not be doing with a sad soggy sandwich made hours earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Tesco brand porridge oats 1.5KG are now €1.19, I remember a few years ago they were 60c.

Ya but what percentage are doing this

You give the impression they're all doing it

Nobody said the customer was entirely to blame. Its just not hard to ask for a price and I believe its poor form to ask for something to be made for you to then say no. The shop isn't going to resell it. Its a very different argument. Its poor form on both sides.

You're making a pretty wild assumption that most delis are breaking the law. Its more than likely that you just don't cop that there is a price list. As Ezeoul described earlier when they went and spotted it, usually an A4 sheet somewhere. Even with a price list, I don't think it takes away from the spirit of your point and the shop, in my opinion, should be displaying their prices is an obvious and clear manner.

Again, nobody is saying the blame lies exclusively with the customer. In fact, nobody is saying there is blame. Its not against the law to hand back the item. I just think its poor form to not ask for a price first if you're not willing to pay for it after its made. It wasn't anything more than that.

I'll leave it there tho. There's no need to go round in circles and derail the thread any further. Everyone can have differing views.

You left out the detail that I was careful to specify that the price list I spotted at my local deli this morning did NOT include prices for the salad bar, rolls or sandwiches, it was for individual hot food items only.

Maybe you missed it.

Advertisement