Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mum paying for our extension so we can look after her

Options
  • 12-06-2022 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

My Dad passed away recently and this leaves my mum quite vulnerable and alone in an apartment in the UK. There is some family near her but they cannot offer daily care and support.

We live in Dublin and would love to have her live with us, but we would need to build an extension to accommodate her and ensure we weren't all on top of each other. We can't afford to do that, but she could pay for it very comfortably after selling her apartment.

She could live with us and we could support her.

I am sure I would need legal advice before proceeding e.g. would her name need to go on the house deeds, what would the situation be with inheritance tax down the line, would she need to pay us rent or something weird like that. She would have enough money for any care requirements as well, so hopefully this would not be seen as deprivation of assets.

Just curious if anyone else has done something similar successfully? What are your lessons learned?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Absolutely agree that you need legal advice, also your siblings should have opportunity to offer opinions from the start. Presumably your mother has already agreed with these plans? You should also maybe check out the situation with health care for her - medical card? Insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,899 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Once you have all the family on board and the legal side is agreeable to all you should be ok.

One bit of advice, own front doors is best to give that bit of independence while still having the support of family.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Owlet

Thanks, that is an excellent point re healthcare, of course we're so used to the NHS in the UK. Would need to think about that.

Yes she would like to and the rest of the family would be supportive. We don't need to rush, she's not at significant risk now. Thinking more a year or so down the line. I am her only biological child though she has two step children (my half siblings). We are all very close and would absolutely make sure everything was agreed in writing first if necessary. I'd be happy to inherit less down the line if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

you need to get legal advice. Particularly in that would her funding the extension be in effect you receiving inheritance in advance

Advertisement