Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wristwatch NFT

Options
  • 12-06-2022 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

I was browsing on Chrono24 and went down a rabbit hole after clicking on a DuBois et fils watch. While reading up on the company I noticed they're offering NFTs attached to vintage movements they own and plan to convert into new timepieces.

Owning the NFT allows you to track the production of the new watch. Also:

• Right of first refusal and 10% price advantage on a DuBois et fils watch
    • Increase in value when bought back by DuBois et fils
    • Value increase by converting to voucher

Anyone think this is worth a punt with Father's Day just around the corner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Wouldn’t be for me but I do think NFT’s are going to have a place in the watch world

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Total load of bollox, and the only place they have is to identify the owner as a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Jesus no. Without actual beneficial ownership? What does it gain you🤷‍♂️

I've got a decent amount in crypto and I even own NFTs (But never actually bought 1).

There are myriad of actual real world, royalty tracking use cases for NFTs but unless the watch NFT is either attached to watch that is hired out and generates fractional income for you? It's a useless piece of data.

The proposed discount on a new watch that is claimed? Is a handy way of them generating income without actual manufacturing. It also will be reflected in the resale values IMO. It likely falls well within the margin that is usually negotiated and allows Dubois to budget better. If the usual discount negotiable is in the 20% range? Well thanks to NFT, Dubois have locked a potential number of watches to just 10% and have gained income in doing it.

If that NFT is never redeemed it's free money for them, if it is redeemed? It eliminates any further discount and reinforces their margin.

Also, when someone is trying to instill confidence? Misspelling the word "connection" when it's the crux of their spiel? Doesn't inspire confidence in the security of any smart contract associated with their tokens.

It's akin to a panini sticker for adults and even they are probably worth more and have better prospects.

My own take on NFTs is that they are a means of making cloud and data saved items individually identifiable and transferable. A software license that grants beneficial ownership to any data attached to the NFT.

Software, Video, Music and so much more becomes tradeable once attached to an NFT. The creator can specify royalty payments on resale and the smart contract will ensure that the creator earns.

Lots of other things too, it becomes akin to an asset tag and is digitally traceable.

In a nod to Panini, I see that NBA and some other sports in the US are tying dynamic NFTs to Fantasy sports leagues. Not my own cup of tea but it will lead to fantasy pools where managers can buy/sell/trade and the performance of the players IRL updates player stats and good performing players generate an income from the weekly/Monthly pay to play fees.

Now I don't know how Dubois can set up any revenue generating stream other than the hopium associated with finding the next sucker.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Sounds like someone needed to attach the current NFT buzzword to watches so they can make some easy money from the watch world.

OP, I don't think you need me to confirm that it's a load of bollocks. But I will. It's a load of bollocks.

Post edited by Cienciano on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭893bet

I think they are a useful tool.

to transfer wealth from stupid people to smart people.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

Thanks for saving me some money everyone! I'll put the money in my piggy bank for a real watch purchase. :)

Advertisement