Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hello Wibbs, any idea what this is?

Options
  • 12-06-2022 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

A WW1 jump watch?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's a jump hour watch alright, but I'd place it in the 1920's going by the case and lug design. Very cool. 🙂

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Cheers, it belonged to a mates FIL, just going through his estate (the mate, not me).

Presume you need a horologist to make parts for it?

Mate has no interest but I'm tempted to make an offer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It likely needs no parts, beyond a service and a mainspring, both easily doable for a watchmaker. Unless water gets in, or some amateur goes at it with a screwdriver, or the balance staff breaks(no shock protection in them days) most old watches stop because of things like broken mainsprings or plain dirt and grime. Even a balance staff replacement is doable. Most brands used bought in movements which are common, even the jump hour complication is pretty simple and sits on top like a module of a basic movement.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement