Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign trip

Options
  • 12-06-2022 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭

Have done many a trip to the alps snowboarding, both diy and tour op. Question is how does it work for mountain biking. Presume, like snow holidays, diy flights and accommodation, then buy liftpass out there? Is it better to bring your own bike or rent out there.

Then, choosing resort. Equally a minefield, Morzine vs Saalbach or is it also worth looking at places like Andorra.

Appreciate that there's probably 101 answers and not necessarily a right or wrong one. But just thought I'd get a few basic questions in before I start going to far down the rabbit hole.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I've been to Morzine a few years ago and it's pretty similar to a skiing holiday. You can buy a lift pass that covers the Pleney lift in Morzine and the Les Gets area. You can actually pedal from Morzine to Le Gets along a fireroad from the top of the Pleney, it's a short spin. Plenty of bike rental in the town but book in advance. It is very downhill oriented and some of the black trails are world cup standard but the greens, blues and reds are all fairly manageable. We booked flights to Geneva and the accommodation arranged for someone to pick us up. There are loads of taxi services that do airport pickups.

The Alps can be pretty brutal on bikes, you would be cramming in a lot of descending in a day and everything is 10x bigger/steeper/rougher in the alps so I would save myself the hassle of shipping a bike and rent one over there. If you are bringing your own bike, bring a few sets of brake pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭prunudo

Good point, never thought of it from the point of view of having to maintain the bike over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Depends what you want, a few days at the bike park.. Skids.. Jumps... Ski-lift back up.. beers throughout the day then hiring a DH bike is a good idea, you can get helmet and pads too... nice n easy...

If you're there for a week or more and want to explore more of the natural trails, a bit of Enduro/trail/XC then bring your own bike, it has your suspension dialled in, brakes, tyres etc.

Hire bikes while maintained aren't going to be in as good as condition as your own bike as they are well used and fairly well hammered throughout the season...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Anyone taken a full-face lid on a Ryanair flight recently - ok to take as hand luggage?

Advertisement