Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant login to Router settings on PC can on android phone

Options
  • 13-06-2022 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭

As the question said

Have ASUS router and trying to get into settings and put in IP address or router.asus.com and nothing on hardwire pc. Getting timed out and saying this site cannot be reached

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

However when I log in via Android phone on wireless no issues

Router is plugged into virgin bridge modem and pc connected via ethernet with hardwire from router to switch in attic

Can this be the problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

IP on PC vs IP on the phone ? pointing to possible double NAT where wired net is on different network than WiFi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Not sure what that means :-( but thanks for the reply

I have asus router and added external drive to it via usb port so that I can share files over any connection. However cannot get access on PC that is hardwired

Any solutions?

Cheers

on PC run CMD, type in and hit Enter

ipconfig

On the phone, go to network settings>>wifi>>advanced - it should say what IP it got for wifi. or

in settings>>about device>>status info

menu for the phone might be different depend on the phone make or model

compare IP's or post here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭tnegun

Try a different web browser and try with a private tab

Ip v4 on pc is 188.141.84.*** and on phone its 192.168.50.** and on nvidia shield its 192.168.50.**

PC and shield are hardwired with shield direct into router and pc working off ethernet port from switch

Tried this and no joy either

• Advertisement

Is this from CMD or just "whats my IP" from browser ?(that would be NOT LAN IP)

188.141.84 is public IP, this would be your ISP provided, not from local DHCP(from your router(s)). Either re-check or your PC is getting public IP hence exposed to WWW and i hope you have good firewall 😉 .

Just in case you didn't know - in search type CMD, start it, type in command ipconfig and hit enter

Thats exactly what I did and got the below

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : chello.ie

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::90fa:1619:2fab:******

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 188.141.84.***

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.***.*

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 188.141.**.*

Virgin modem bridged and using Asus router with Cat 6 cable into TP link switch in attic and then connected to Asus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭niallb

Looks like your PC is getting its address from Virgin.

Rethink your cabling - you might need to change it a little.

Your PC is just not on your local network - it's outside it and firewalled off from the rest of your home.

I'm presuming you want the switch to be on your LAN, so the "bridged" virgin router can't be plugged in to it.

Should be Internet -> Virgin Router -> WAN port on Asus router :|: LAN port on Asus Router -> Switch -> everything else

Can you clarify what ports on what are connected to each other?

Ok thanks

House just got rewired so have virgin line feed in the front room and the virgin cable is plugged into Virgin router. Also ethernet cable going from Asus to Virgin router

In the wall are 2 Cat 6) Ethernet ports. I have one cable going from one to Virgin rmodem and another cable going from second cat 6 port to Asus

There are 3 Ethernet ports in the office(1 for alarm and one for tv third is for PC) and 2 more upstairs

In the attic there is a switch and cables plugged into this.

However the PC ethernet port I don't think works from the switch as this worked prior to sparks putting up switch in attic. I think 2 in bedroom and one in office use the line from the switch. I cannot plug ethernet cable into second port in office

So any suggestions what needs to be changed?

Put a switch in your office on the TV port so all the connections there go back to the attic switch?

Call your sparks and find out what they did.

You need to work out what the PC socket is plugged in to.

Clarify which wall and where it is you say has two ports in it - one going to Asus, one going to Virgin.

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity, are you paying for additiona IP(s) or Virgin just hand as many you want 🤩 ? Some folks could well use that

UPC used to hand out 6 at one point I think.

The chello.ie DNS server is a pretty old one, so the package may date back to then.

Will call them and see but be easier to call Elvis as he is 'less busy' anything I can check in the meantime. WFH with PC so cannot check until after 5 and dont want to work off wifi

Nope just the one point coming into the house and cat 6 cabling around the house

You have one physical cable coming into the house from Virgin, but they can provide multiple IP addresses on it like your Asus provides multiple addresses over Wifi.

The Virgin TV package might need one of those external addresses. Check later to see what IP address your TV has - if it's a private 192 one, try swapping that cable for the PC. Even if it doesn't need one now, a previous UPC package may have meant the cabling was installed with a direct link to the TV point.

You need to make up a map of the wiring and then everything will fall into place.

Finding out what socket the PC is connected to can be done by trial and error.

If you have somebody else who can unplug the PC cable while you're in the attic, see if a port goes out on the switch.

Do the same with the Virgin box. There should only be one ethernet cable coming from that.

If there are more, one is probably going to the office via one route or another.

Check if there's another switch somewhere that's directly attached to the Virgin router.

Sparks may have solved something that way!

Back to the wall I'm interested in - are both the Asus router and the Virgin router at the same location?

If there's a cable from there to the attic, it might be worth moving the Asus to the attic.

It might interfere with your Wifi zones, but as a temporary measure it could clarify things.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

If both the Asus and Virgin routers are in the same location, take the Ethernet cable running from the CAT6 wall socket to the Virgin Router and change it so its running from the same CAT6 socket to a yellow port on the ASUS Router instead (assuming there is a spare port on the Asus router.)

This should move your PC onto the same internal network as the other devices, and everything should then work as you expect.

Absolutely. making those connections where you can see them is ideal.

So did this and can now connect to the router via router.asus.com so hopefully this will resolve the issue

Went into settings and its saying Ethernet connected but its the wifi 2.4 name but wifi turned off so hopefully no conflicts if i turn wifi on pc to connect to wireless printer

Only problem is that all ports on Asus getting used up so need to get another ethernet switch so if any recommendations let us know this should work correct?

And what is the storry with switch that you have, can you not re-route through it or move it?

As long you not connect anything else, appart Asus, to Virgin, you can scale your network

• Advertisement

Good point did not check that have to do it later and see if everything can and is still connected

Its in the attic so all ports been used on that and some extra cables but they are for other points around house that we wont use. Asus router and Virgin modem beside each other so going to leave them there for the moment and not move anything up to the attic yet. Maybe down the line move everything up to attic linking to switch with more ports and same downstairs

I think you should follow through on working out where all the sockets in your walls go.

It'll give you more options and can't do any harm.

How come the Asus is now full up? I didn't realise there were other devices there.

I gather it's at the same location as the Virgin router so that's connected to the WAN port (Blue one?).

Did you take one of the LAN (yellow?) sockets to the attic? What's in the rest of them?

Don't worry about the ethernet connection having the same network name as the 2G Wifi.

It just means your computer knows they're the same network.

You should not need to connect to your wireless printer using wireless on the PC!

Is it connected to the Asus router wifi or are you just using it on its own wireless network?

Much easier long term to permanently connect it to that wireless so it's part of your whole network and you can print to it from any device without messing around.

Ok Sparks came back

One point behind the tv goes to the network switch in the attic The other point marked office behind the TV is joined directly to the office point low down

So took the cable going from other point into virgin router and put this into Asus and now PC in office is connected and all other points working from the switch in the attic. Cable from this coming down to point behind tv and this is connected to Asus

Have Hue hub, shield, home phone, virgin plugged into Router. Picked up TP link switch and plugged some into this

Now have to work out getting access to external drive onto Asus router and also need to create network so all can share files

Thats for another post

Excellent. If it's well hidden behind the TV you might even put that new switch there connected to both sockets and with the shield plugged in too if that's where it is. The Hue hub would probably work fine in the attic to free up a port, but it depends on the house. If you put the switch behind the TV the hue hub could also go there. Is the external drive a USB one or a NAS?

Looks like a lot of progress!

Yes need to clean it up behind TV as have sub woofer and also AV Receiver so long term will look at moving more stuff into the attic. Only have 5 usb port in the attic and plugged in about 2 feet away under flooring. Long term will get possible bigger switch with more ports and move stuff up there

Have Samsung T5 500 GB usb plugged into router and then followed this process

So all ok but trying to access it via windows and when I key in the IP address of the router I just get the Login of the router itself

What I am trying to do is use this drive as shared drive for all users so can copy, paste trf etc so can be shared. Set up as allow guest

Trying to figure this out

So you've it set up as a "Network Place", Samba then. If you're getting the login of the router do you mean you're typing the IP address into a browser or is it Windows looking for a password?

Try clicking the start menu and typing it in like this with two slashes at the beginning:

\\IP.OF.ASUS.ROUTER

the dns name might even work:

\\router.asus.com

ok typed in \\router.asus.com

opened up new window and showing the Samsung Portable SSD but asking for user name and password but I set it up as Guest on settings on Asus router?

Also need to check how I can access this drive from shield

Might be easier actually to use a username and password.

Windows 10 may not want to connect without one.

The shield will connect using the same credentials.

Settings -> Device Preferences -> Storage -> Mount network storage

ok on Shield do the above and can see PC and its connected under mount but under the Asus its saying its unavailable

In network tab on PC can see asus under Media Devices and Network infrastructure. Can also see Samsung TV and Philips Hue cannot see shield

Went into Shield and got the ip address and then using cmd tried to pint this and got Destination host unreachable. When i put in ip address in file explorer getting cannot connect saying windows cannot access

Have not gone into external drive to set up username and PW yet

Cant seem to copy paste connect etc PC to shield so trying to figure out why and how

• Advertisement

If Media server configured it should show up under your FileExplorer/Network (you might need to enable discovery )

There is way to map specific directory - you would need to have path to it from router

Advertisement