Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant login to Router settings on PC can on android phone

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭niallb

What IP address did you get from the shield?

The shield isn't serving out any files so I wouldn't be surprised not to see it in windows explorer.

It's working in the other direction which is the main thing.

Pop up a picture of your media server configuration page from the Asus - it might clarify things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Settings on Asus

Got the IP address from network and internet settings on shield 192.168.50.**

below from pc

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.50.***

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.50.*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

As you set manual path you need to add directory(s) that you want to share - currently show "no data in table"

or set to "All disks shared" to share entire disk

Done this

Then when I go to \\router.asus.com

Has the Samsung portableSSD folder but still asking for login and pw

do I have to create one in second screen shot and long that way?

Also any reason as to why I cannot connect to shield from PC but can the other way around or are they all linked to the above?

Not certain why prompt for pass once guest access ON - reboot router, might be required for changes to have effect, see if helps. Worst comes - set user in Samba for that purpose - once mapped on PC you will have option to "remember password" there

As for shield vs PC , well this is these two devices involved only. Question is what you expect to achieve ? More detail please on the goal here.

I only assume you have shield storage shared and its available on the computer or you just access shield as device to manage(via browser), do you have something shared from PC to be able to access on shield ? Correct me if i made "ass u & me" ☺️ .

In general, i had just about poor experience with USB shared storage from router( not Asus, older gen huawei) - capacity limit (2TB), media codec limit(would not read some files), speed (~3-5MB), workload on router itself. YMMV with this Asus and i hope it will work for you at the end , but we'll see.

• Advertisement

On PC Ok go into \\router.asus.com

Can access the drive attached to Asus. Can also access this via fx explorer on Shield

However have file and its 4.64 gb and I try to move this to the Samsung drive connected to Asus and i am getting error not enough space on SamsungPortablesdd.app

I formatted it and used ntfs as the file system so not sure why I cannot copy and paste?

The aim is that I have some children's cartoons and movies on PC and was going to put them on drive attached to Router or better still give access to shield to them on PC So kids can watch these on shield on main tv and i can watch sport or whatever other tv. Also kids can access it via Android tablet.

Also one shield has external drive with old PC games on it so if I get nostalgic can use 2nd Shield to access these in spare room or if I kick kids into spare room they can have access to drive attached to shield or and storage drive attached to asus

So its all about sharing and isn't sharing caring 😎🤭

Fine, all dandy.

IF you want folder on PC accessible to shield(s) will take you to go through some extra. For start you have to share folder on PC that contain files. There will be need to have credentials for it or again "anonymous" for for everyone. I would suggest a specific user for shares. depending on Win10 (i guess again) edition (home vs pro) you would need to set up user account (lets call it "Shares") that has full access to shared folder(video, whatever). Once that done you should be able, with those creds, access the folder from shield(s), providing you PC is up and running. This where NAS would be preference, but it cost and i'm not sure what is cheaper with current power price 😉

Having your share on USB/Asus - router is 24/7, but as i mention, could/might have performance hit

There are tons of tube vids how-to setup share on PC and shield. Let me know if need step-by-step with PC (will need to know what Win you run) and i(or others)will get you tutorial with img as soon get free moment.

As for "not enough space on SamsungPortablesdd.app" - yeah more research needed, but i had various this type of issue with USB share back in the day, never got to the bottom...

you could try to copy/paste while connected to PC direct, but i cannot guaranty it will be readable once back to Asus as share...

Thanks

Yeah was googling how to set up shared folder on PC so that I can transfer files etc but could not get it working. On Windows 10. So wanted to share say folder called Movie and followed the below

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4172/~/how-do-i-share-shield-tv-folders-with-a-pc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzNnLzZDdCA

however on PC it just wont connect to Shield IP when I try this using file explorer

Regarding not enough space have not looked into that

So tried to copy from PC onto this and no joy did not try to copy from Shield to this

Trying to get in touch with Asus to see if they know anything as out of ideas

Tube video you linked not bad, however, i definitely missing the part where he enter credentials from shield (?) Perhaps this is culprit

As long shield sharing set, and you able to see/ping shield IP from your PC, i would try this in File Explorer

ShieldIP = IP you have written from shield

after step 3 you will get prompt to enter credentials from shield, make sure tick box "remember........."

As for sharing from PC, i would create user just for that purpose.

Run CMD as administrator, copy/paste commands and hit Enter after each.

net user MyUserName MyPassword /add
    WMIC USERACCOUNT WHERE Name='MyUserName' SET PasswordExpires=FALSE

This will create standard (non admin) user on your PC with username MyUserName and password MyPassword as per command, change to your liking, just no extra/less spaces.

Now, if you follow instruction for "Share files using advanced settings" in the article you will have path and user credentials to add to shield/other PC's *

You can skip commands above and just follow article instruction for "Everyone", i wouldn't

*additional steps might be required depend on current PC and net configuration

\\FQDN\ can be substituted by IP(as for shield), BUT if your PC and/or shield IP changes it will stop working. so... set your shield with static IP or/and reservation on the router

let us know how it goes

PS.: Not advertising any websites or publishers, link(s) seam provide truthful info and on top of search, feel free to seek for different advise.

Post edited by smuggler.ie on

• Advertisement

Thanks

So got email from ASUS on sharing files via router and amended sMBV1 on pc and Walla for some reason i can share files via sheld via Network-My-PC and then sub folders C and Users. Put a file in there from PC and then could transfer it and play it via Shield

Still waiting on Asus to come back on set up for attaching drive to router and saving it in network

Cheers for the help

Great!

... and yeah, SMBv1 is deprecated and disabled on Win10/11 by default

Advertisement