Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peter McVerry attacked

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You seem very triggered by anybody daring to speak anything less than fulsome about your sacred cow. Bile and insults in all directions, I wonder why that is? Could it be that you benefit from this gravy train yourself?

McVerry trust received €30m state funding in 2020, despite having €28m unrestricted reserves carried over from 2019. But don't look too closely, they are just a charitee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Is that your smoking gun?

Ever ran anything besides a school tuck shop?

Sad sad sad.

Edit: work nowhere near the charity / NGO sector btw, so guess again discount Columbo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

No pay for being a board member of a charity.

Sad to have to post this in a thread about a 78 year old priest being assaulted by someone he tried to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Insult after insult after insult. And all because Yurt didn't read the original post properly in his rush to get offended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Don't have a lot of time for the "Charity" over 70% of the donations get spent on staff wages which is a lot for an organisation claiming to be focused on buying homes etc.

But Fr Peter seems like he genuinely cares. Apparently he personally takes nothing out of the "charity". It's just the people who have attached themselves to his name. He didn't deserve this attack. Hope he makes a full recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There is something I don't like about Fr McVerry but I don't see him as having done anything other than good.

I was shocked to see that the wage bill within his charity is many many millions per year but this is slightly different to some other charities where wages relate to admin staff.

Much of the McVerry wage bill relates to services direct to the needy such as carers etc so nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭slay55

The assault was definitely related to homelessness and nothing else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

He does great work to help homeless people and to help them find safe accompdation, homeless services have to train and employ people to deal with people who may be using drugs or may be drunk. They usually travel in groups of 2 or 3 people in vans. Every ngo needs an income it comes from donations or government grants employees need to be paid and there are costs like rent insurance energy gas heating bills , to provide services like cafes drop in centres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It's truely perplexing why Peter McVerry attracts such Vitriol. Whilst there's obviously been outrageous stories of corruption in numerous charities, to my mind there's never been a single accusation or investigation of the Peter Mc Verry Trust.

Some seem to think its success, Revenues, Turnover is almost offensive, when it's main objective is to help people out of homelessness. It's main assets are infact homes they've built and financed for the purpose of housing people. Perhaps it's easy to assume Shenanigans at play given high profile cases involving other charities but that's just entirely unfair.

I actually volunteered at the capuchin centre many years ago and would often see Mc Verry poping in, talking with & supporting homeless people at a time he wasn't as well known. He is held in high regard by the Capuchins and service user's.

Of course like every one he's not immune from flaws, has some strident views but without such people caring, speaking up and actually doing something, the homelessness situation would be far worse (if that's even possible)

The attack in his mind was a private matter and clearly there was mental health and addiction aspect to it, I won't judge Mc Verry for making any decisions that affected him personally , I'm only guessing but I suspect his charitable side informed his decision he is after all a priest. People suggest him not reporting this or lodging a criminal complaint affects others, the assailant is clearly troubled, I've no doubt Gardai know who it is and regardless of any complaint they'll have spoken to the individual and perhaps will discretely cast a closer eye on this persons movements.

This really is a private matter, awful as it is, how or why it was leaked is a mystery but to conflate this with Mc Verrys charitable work over decades is quite frankly, disgraceful.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

people are saying all sorts of things about the circumstances of how this happened at the time it did look no ones businees but there own there were no charges so should just be dropped and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dean Court

McVerry and his organisation are placing mentally disturbed individuals into well managed city center apartment blocks where they are causing massive trouble to their neighbours. ( mostly alcohol/drug related and individuals you would not approach if you were wise )

I know, because I'm Chairman of an OMC who has to deal with these types.

Owner can sell who they want to and Sustainable Housing buys up all one-bedroom apartments in D8, regardless of the cost, who they then sell on to McVerry. No wonder young professionals can't afford to buy an apartment in central Dublin when up against buyers with endless pockets!!

Anyone know if the McVerry Trust has paid up, from their vast reserves, for the bills for employing a Security Firm to provide safety for residents who have been threatened by such individuals ?? (or do they just ignore there bills and await Court action for recovery) ? Also, anyone know if they pay fines imposed for anti-social behaviour ?

Does the Trust take cognisance of the fact that young non-Irish famalies may live close to them and may not know how to go about reporting disturbances, thus living in a hell..(Some owners don't give a toss about their tenants)

Also anyone know how they provide 24 hour contact details should trouble kick-off in the middle of the night ? They only work 9-5 and won't commit to phone calls being answered out-of-hours. (The Gardai can't do much).

Any suggestions of how to alleviate this serious problem gratefully received.

Real life replies appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭rightmove

The cost of virtue politics, once again. Its the ppl who play by the rules that loose out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

This will hardly help his cause now would it? I'd say everyone and their dog heard about it in the vicinity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Peter McVerry is a great man.

I have my reservations about the charity though. Donations being

used to pay bail and fines is not money well spent in my opinion.

But hey you know what they say about opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

This has been McVerrys modus operandi since he began, have his waifs and strays cause havoc in a neighborhood, the locals complain, he shrugs his shoulders and says the accomodation is not suitable for the needs of his waifs but he has nowhere else to go, He then gets a new facility from the local authorities somehwere else and moves another rung up the property ladder

Must have seen Travellers pulling that scam and decided he could work it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

All of the homeless charities need a real looking at and a serious audit. Taxpayers money handed over to them and misspent and wasted.

Absolutely, I work for a homeless charity , I'm having my Christmas Dinner now on my yacht in the Mediterranean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is likely your CEO is doing something like that, many on them on salaries well over 100k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭apache

Interesting all this talk of Peter McVerry. Had many dealings with him. He used to come into the prisons. Always trying to pass tobacco to the prisoners. Bringing in expensive tracksuits and runners. This is going back 20 years.

Never liked the man. Always something about him.....actually surprised that he wasn't caught before for something...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

So the man, a known advocate for the homeless, is attacked. This opens him up to further attacks on his character and field.

Some people really have an issue with the idea of homelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'd imagine s/he joined the Public Service!

Tis a different kind of caught.

He's in the public eye making himself an easy target , most CEOs and representives of homeless services aren't as vocal .I'd imagine most people would struggle to name PMVTs current CEO or the CEOs of Focus Ireland etc off the top of their head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Just catching up on the RTE News about the dead body found in the flat in Dublin.

It was a PMV property. The person who was supposed to be there left weeks ago. Locals were saying it was used as a drugs den. PMV employees/volunteers were visiting it right up to this week, whilst a dead body was left on the balcony. Neighbours complained about the smell.

Peter McVerry trust are saying they were not aware it was being used as a drugs den, even though they had been visiting the property.

An absolute sham of an organisation. It is their property. The guy who was supposed to be the tennant had abandoned it weeks ago. Why was it still open? They knew full well it was being used for drugs, considering the knew the people who were in there and they were drug users. And they never noticed the dead body on the balcony???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I’m gonna take a guess and say that the above post was about the same flat in today’s news?

Crazy story that wouldn’t be out of place as a scene from trainspotting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

RIP

Sad end for the poor soul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

According to the radio today the body was inside covered by clothing, not on the balcony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭rightmove

Looks like ...oh no sorry they wont listen to you now either.....

you called it right though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The one from yesterday was in D7. The poster above is in D8, and from the username you can pinpoint nearly exactly where they are talking about...

The flats yer man was found in are old corpo flats, but PMV has been quietly buying/given apartments in private OMC apartment blocks around the city centre. I'm about 500m away from where I presume the above poster is, and PMV have bought/been given 2 apts in my block as well, in the process outbidding people trying to buy homes. Insanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

I think the bigger issue here is the fact that there are mentally disturbed people with no facilities, being looked after by private organisations rather than having properly funded and government run services. there is far too much reliance on “charities” to do what the government should be doing. In that void, you have all sorts of shenanigans going on. It’s a bit like the state leaving the Catholic Church to run various things in the past, and we all know how well that turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

nvm whats the point

TLDR; pmv is a farce along with the rest of the NGOs/charities in the country

Absolutely, particularly that Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association, shower of fcukers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

These private organisations are not-for-profit, but they are not charities. They receive government funding for the services they provide, and pay their social-care and professional staff accordingly to government salary scales.

The real issue is that the Housing First model places dysfunctional people in private sector rentals whether or not they are able for independent living. In theory they get intensive support so problems are avoided. In practise it's very hard to support someone who doesn't want to engage and only cares about their next fix.

I can remember being at meetings around Housing First being brought in method of support for the most dysfunctional individuals and being told about the wrap round supports to be made available.

Supports were to be tenancy sustainment , medical inclusive of both mental health and physical , addiction support , generic and drug counselling, regular door knock to the individuals.

All Bellshill, the amount of tenancies that fell apart in the first couple of weeks was astonishing .

Today , I can think of three tenancies that were definitely sustained in over 13 years.

Lack of support ( no such thing as wrap round support )and poorly trained staff being the cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Residents of Kevin Barry House in Dublin witnessed people injecting drugs and reported overhearing loud arguments and fights happening late at night at flat number one for months before the body of a man in his 20s was discovered there last week, according to complaints seen by The Irish Times.

“Countless” complaints were made to Dublin City Council (DCC) about the flat going as far back as 18 months ago.

On January 20th, a woman was seen sitting outside the door of the flat “injecting herself ... she was waiting to be let in,” the complaint said.

The complaints were sent to the DCC Estate manager on January 24th this year.

The woman living in the flat, who was previously homeless and had been placed in the property by the Peter McVerry Trust (PMVT) was brought to a meeting the following day with DCC and PMVT representatives.

However, residents claim “nothing was done” afterwards, except for a “couple of visits” from the tenants’ case workers, who, the residents, claim, told the residents that they were “too intimidated” to properly inspect the flat.

Two former staff members of the PMVT told The Irish Times there were “often no consequences” for clients of the Trust, “even in the case of actual threats or violence against staff”. Staff work in “very precarious, dangerous situations”, with a “huge caseload put on them”, they said.

A disgrace. People should not have to put up with this sort of scumbag behaviour among their homes. The McVerry crowd are just enabling drug users. This organisation needs to be shut down tbh and DCC need to get their act together.

Scrap the cap!

• I believe Fr Peter McVerry is a sincerely motivated man, with his heart in the right place; however the organisation is no longer one I support. I don’t like the virtue politics as others have pointed out here, I don’t like the way to a of money pours through this organisation with seemingly no filters. People in the city centre apartments are enduring stuff they should not have to. There are people I know who have had a very bad start to life, people in addiction etc who take opportunities to pull themselves up, whereas many of the folk McVerry Trust provide for are for one reason or another pulling even more people down into their circle of addiction and it doesn’t get better. I prefer to see money afforded to help incentivise people along a more coping path in life, where that is possible. Mental health services, education, alternatives to help people be the best person they can be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement