Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can you buy Ethanol free Petrol

• 13-06-2022 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭

I think the government are going to force E10 soon and the E5 is barely useable in my old 2 stroke bike. The ethanol destroys the centre seal in the crankshaft on my bike, it was designed for ethanol free fuel. There are people in the UK who run avgas with them and friends in the US who run U4.4 VP racing fuel but I don't think those are going to be options for me. Is there anywhere in Ireland that sells Ethanol free fuel? I was told some people use these in their classic cars but I know nothing about them. Any help is appreciated.

https://millersoilsireland.ie/product/tetra-boost-e-guard-15/

https://millersoilsireland.ie/product/vspe-power-plus-treats-500ltrs/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_ptashek_

Is replacing the seal with one made from a compatible material an option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭Exp271

Thanks for the reply. I'm afraid it is not because the crankshaft comes from Honda fully assembled and it is no possible to split it to replace the seal. Also the bike just doesn't like ethanol. Id rather buy fuel with non in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I don't think it is possible to buy Ethanol free fuel, but there is a method to get it out of the fuel you can buy. You can use a large plastic drum and some water mixed with the fuel. The ethanol will blend with the water, and you can separate that from the petrol. I have seen several instructional videos on YouTube and the like and it seems quite a simple thing to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

I'm no expert on this stuff but according to YouTube you can easily remove the ethanol at home. See video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onCG7mIprfE

Yes I have seen those videos, the only problem is that the octane level is now decreased because the ethanol is used as part of the octane level. Also I am almost certain, but cant prove, that other additives are also pulled out along with the ethanol with that process. That is why I have not gone down that road. Maybe Im wrong but its a chance Im not willing to take as the costs of rebuilding an engine are huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not sold in this market; if there is enough demand its not being made obvious and all fuel comes from three sources - two common gantries plus Whitegate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

I’m sure VP make ethanol free race fuel, probably 102 octane. Murray motorsport sell VP fuels.

Yes they do but its about 150 euros for 19 litres by the time you get it. Which is almost 8 euro a litre. I have looked into them but its just soooo expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If you were able to identify these other additives which you suspect are removed, then it would help. One of the fuel stabilisers would be my guess, but only proper molecular level fuel analysis would answer that.

It seems from a quick search that adding ethanol decreases the lubricity of the fuel slightly, so removing it from the blend may increase the ratio of lubricants to fuel.

https://www.redalyc.org/pdf/430/43021467001.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

Been dealing with his issue for a while..researched at length...if you "wash" the ethanol out of the fuel then you are left with a questionable fuel of unknown octane rating..most commercial octane boosters contain ethanol so I only use silkalene boost which contains no ethanol.

If you can get it, Aviation Avgas is ethanol free but has a high lead content

Aspen fuel is good stuff. I run it through by boat engine after use to flush out any ethanol while in storage. But its expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Mix the petrol with water in a glass container, the water will sink to the bottom with the ethanol in it, then syphon the water out.

You can buy octane boosters in most motor factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭b4bmm

Has the pump fuel always contained 5% ethanol or was that a recent addition?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_ptashek_

E5 was standard in Ireland since about 2008 if memory serves. And E10 will soon replace it - next 2-5 years tops.

Advertisement