Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra working hours..?!

Options
  • 14-06-2022 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Apologies did not know if this is the right section for this, and could not find an appropriate title.

I work as a Network Engineer 5 days a week, and weekends are on-call (which is in rotation every month, so I work just 1 Sat/Sun per month). As its on call, and most of the time there is little to no work.

I'm looking to implement a way to have whatever work done/or even staff availability paid. We have Jira so any tickets created are in minutes. I said minutes as the on-call can be extremely light, may be less than 10 minutes. My manager has asked me for solutions to have payments implemented as its unfair to have employees available for work but not compensated, but we need a solution.

I'm blank on this, anyone knows how of any way to have pay by the minutes ?!

Sorry unsure if I'm clear.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Surely you are paid a stand-by rate and then an on-call rate based on the hour or portion of one worked?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭huud

I'm afraid nothing is being paid as the problem is resolved in about 10 minutes, and each week the number of problems are no more than 1 or 2, that totals ~20 minutes..

Unless you are asking about the regular working rate (by the hour)..

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

As the first response said; Employees should be paid for being on-call at weekends, as they are expected to be available to deal with issues as and when they arise, even if it only takes 10 minutes to deal with an issue. Furthermore they should be paid a full hour for any part hour worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭JamBur

When I worked an on call job years ago, the company paid 4 hours whether or not you got a call, then the callout itself was based on a per hour basis (or part thereof) at an overtime rate. That would not be considered generous in any way. It was similiar demands. On call once a month, with a call being rare.

Surely putting a system in place is overcomplicating the procedure. Just have a set renumeration fee to cover the obligation plus the few calls.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

If a person is on call, they should be paid X amount for being on call anyway, and then for every "call" they have to take they should be billing for their minimum time. Say 2hrs pay minimum for taking the call.

Or just continue to do it the way you are, if they are content to do it for free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

No problem would be resolved in 10 minutes if there wasn't somebody on standby to do it.

Your manager's solution isn't a technical one - they should pay their staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭huud

Hi All,

Appreciate everyones input, I get the picture now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Yeah completely standard in most industries you are paid a standby rate to be on call . The rate paid lines up with the amount of on call each month.

If you are called in you are then paid on an hourly basis at a minimum. Even if its a 10 min problem , you are paid an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Simply have an agreed fee for up to xx calls a week/month.

We have a similar set up for social media responses. Our digital market manager gets a dedicated fee to answer social media queries out of hours. Its not huge, but mean if she's spending a couple of hours a week on it, she knows she's getting a payment

Advertisement