Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pride Month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭freemickey

You're doing your best to ascribe all these negative connotations, "triggered", "whinging" and so.

Some person asked why is this thing a month long. Short story shorter, it has no business being a month long, mad over-representation that it patently is.

Nothing emotional about it, that must be what stings you.

Over-representation? What's that supposed to mean?

Within living memory, homosexuals were persecuted, discriminated against, etc in this country. It's not even related to old people here. I went through some of that hostility and violence because I wasn't heterosexual. The attention that LGBQ people have received since Ireland decided to modernise is justified.

People are so quick to move on, as if we're achieved acceptance in Irish society. We certainly haven't. Oh, the foundation is there, and society is changing remarkably well in accepting homosexuality, but there's still a long way to go.

As for DS, this is just like the comments about a parade for heterosexuals. It's a deflection, attempting to make it unreasonable for homosexuals to have such a parade or receive the kind of recognition that they do. It's one bloody month, and you don't need to be involved in it.

None at all... and as has been said previously, go ahead and campaign for it.

You're really trying so desperately hard to place yourself and others as being treated unfairly because LGBTQ gain some recognition for what happened previously (and still does somewhat to this day).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Are people being forced to participate or something? The most I've seen outside of a handful of emails and a few logos in shop windows is this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭freemickey

As the other "why not?" guy tried to impose, it's not about forced participation, it's a simple statement of over representation. It is what it is.

I will say there is something similar, come to think of it, Ramadan is a month long too. Religious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

In my Company we have been bombarded with Pride Month LGBT emails where we were asked to make ourselves visible and take part in activities and events. I know from private conversations with peer colleagues that people have had enough. At this point it's definitely counter productive to gay/lesbians/trans

Post edited by Mic 1972 on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,893 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This seems unlikely. I work for a metropolitan university and I think I've had one or two.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

So a couple of emails is going to turn people against gay people and make them homophobic? Probably the dumbest reach I have ever read lol. Perhaps it’s just awakening their true feelings about the gays…

As a big dirty straight I saw one pride flag in a neighbouring town. The horror of it all. The gays are taking over. You can’t move for gays these days…

That's your first comment. Needless to say it's not getting a reply.

Naturally. Wouldn't want you to explain your position adequately. Perish the thought.

Deal with it.

Oddly enough, it's you that needs to deal with it. Not me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Mickey you’re going to have to come up with another “but what about THIS group” now because Disability Month has been around a long time, and in particular in employment, although there’s a distinct possibility you’ve heard nothing about it as you aren’t even aware it’s a thing -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Disability_Employment_Awareness_Month

Like most people about Pride really - not even aware it’s a thing, just going about their business, whereas you and you alone appear to be overwhelmed and complaining about over-representation.

Be honest, you’d still be complaining about ANY representation, and you’ll throw everything out there to try and make the point that it’s not necessary and it’s gone too far and all the rest of your crap, and it is, absolute crap.

Maybe the gays annoy him more then the disabled and that’s why he never noticed it.

I've said before that, once gay marriage passed, that should have been the end to the gay rights movement in this country. That means becoming as boring as everyone else; not becoming more and more prominent in people's faces.

Whilst I have no issue with the Pride parade, I think that, as you say, it has become an incessant bombardment.

Pride supporters will point to gay people being beaten up. But straight people are beaten up more. There'll always be abuse, unfortunately, from a tiny fraction of the population who use any excuse to beat someone.

I completely agree that our community needs to tone the hell down, or less it will cause silent hostility towards the community - reversing much of the gains that have been achieved.

And it doesn't help that Gay Pride has been re-fashioned as Pride Month; meaning the trans- issue dominates and that's unlikely to go away any time soon.

In my company it has been an average of 1 email per day from before the beginning of June, with links to personal stories, anecdotes, interviews, the LGBT person of the month, picture sharing of colleagues wearing rainbow wigs and so on. The company I work for is a multinational American company with a reputation for being "woke" so it is possible that other companies might be less insistent. However it has been very off putting and it's not even over

• Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Who said anyone has to care about my imagination? I don’t think anyone cares any more about my immigration than I care about your opinions that a month is too long for Pride. Have it the whole year round for all I care.

You’re the person with the problem, not everyone else who doesn’t care.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Pride is also for the fetish and kink communities, with overt sexualisation in the media so commonplace now none of it should be a shock

I really have to take issue this comment.

You will know that one of the objections to homosexuality historically was that it is in it's nature a kink or a fetish. That's its essentially a sexual perversion. Until such point that the general populace understood that it's not in that category, they'd be no gay rights at all today.

The first gay pride march I participated in way back in mid 90's did not have any kink or fetish element to it. I recall one or 2 muscular men with their tops off but that was the extent of the nudity.

Pride is not about kink or fetishes. Indeed there is no reason to think that only homosexuals have sexual kinks. That's absurd, of course heterosexuals have them too. So where's the heterosexual kink pride? Oh and yea I don't mean heterosexual pride I hasten to add.

It does seem to me that Pride has become more kink and fetish orientated, and I don't think that's a good portrayal of gay men. I don't know how many youtube vids I've seen of late where kids are pointed out attending pride marches where almost full nudity and 'kink' is on display. I agree, that can't be right can it? It's also just vulgar as well. I'm not making any moral judgements on kinks though and that's the point. It's an adult themed topic that should be kept in the adult world, and not on display for all to see on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

I recently saw a gay couple being subjected to some homophobic jeering by a couple of lads on a night out. I couldn't help but feel that hate speech laws would be a good thing and that these lads could end up with a conviction and jail time. They deserved it for the needless bullying/discrimination but instead they had a good laugh and got away with it. Meanwhile the gay couple will probably remember that jeering for a long time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Yes, that makes complete sense, lets keep adding legislation while not enforcing existing legislation - genius, truly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Simon.d

Dublin Pride's recent clash with RTE has diminished the overall brand for me.. I think its the blatant hypocrisy of those who see themselves as the beating heart of Liberal left values behaving like the theocratic overlords of yester-year...

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Might see you Saturday. Should I wear my usual fetish gear? 😉

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Every month seems to be woke month because when I turn on the TV the Sky welcome menu always has something like "Black history month" or a pride flag

I was going to hang my Pride flag from my balcony this month, but decided against it.

Almost felt, for the first time, embarrassed to do it - as if I was contributing to the forceful message that everyone else is being exposed to.

I'm now, again for the first time, thinking of not attending the parade with flags for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Or some kind of hashtag... haha

Your #incellivesmatter is a new one on me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Ah hang it out!

Go to the parade and have a knees up with your mates.

Actually, no.

I do think that the majority of the population are starting to feel that this has become overload.

As much as I'm an advocate of gay rights, I don't agree with the principle of annoying everyone about LGBT issues forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

As someone not part of the lgbt community I can assure them they've never annoyed me. And a month of events and parties is always welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

I think it’s a month long opportunity for a load of virtue signalling for companies, that’s generally what I associate with pride month now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Fair enough.

I kinda understand what you're saying .

I can only go from my own point of view and say I'm developing a more don't give a feck attitude. I'm certainly not one who has become "overloaded". I just don't care.

I don't impress on anybody my own view point. I'll discuss alright(sudo argue), but again who cares. Okay stupid point,again just from myself and I'm sure there's arseholes out there that have irrational ideas, but I'd say fears more likely.

Tldr: feck what others think. Enjoy the day with people you love. We're not a homogeneous society or community.

Advertisement