Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pride Month

Options

Comments

No evidence will surface counter to your claims precisely because the whole point of labels like transphobia and xenophobia and so on, is that they are often used not to be accurate, but to be effective means at smearing others and stifling debate.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Happy Pride, lads. Finally we've an openly gay man who works in one of the top professional sports in the country.

We have had similar threads of a nature already on boards.ie.

I think pride month should be banned.

This follows on form the ban culture in Ireland.

The topic is causing distress for many and in the interest if mental health, health and safety and in line with thinking of the kids and vulnerable pride month should be banned.

See similar banning threads on here for reference

Ban it

I think pride month should be banned.

Why?

This follows on form the ban culture in Ireland.

What has been banned in Ireland that isn't commonly prevented in other Western nations?

The topic is causing distress for many and in the interest if mental health, health and safety and in line with thinking of the kids and vulnerable pride month should be banned.

You have some evidence of this?

Mental health, health and safety.. are threatened by Pride.. how exactly?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,893 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why should we ban something just because you don't like it?

By what metric does Pride week harm anyone?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

I find it hard to believe that you actually believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Post edited by Annasopra on

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I'm kidding by the way. But why does pride really exist now?

Gay marriage is accepted homosexuality is accepted.

I know there were issues in the past but the past is gone move on forget it.

Everyone is equal now so why do one group of society need to prove their existence once a year?

When the vote was granted on marriage we the public spoke.

Its accepted end of. Why drag history up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,893 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Homophobia and inequality still exist. That's why people still celebrate Pride. They're not proving that they exist which is a bizarre thing to say.

I'm wondering if you've ever actually met a gay person when you come out with stuff like this.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement

I met the only gay in my village once.

Do that stop you wondering and hinting at homophobia straight away.

Is that enough for you.

Prejudice exists everywhere get over yourself.

It's a case of some are more equal than other again.

Some people actually want to just live their lives instead of tripping over virtue signalling and media bullshit every other week about an issue which less be clear has been clearly voted upon and accepted.

It's funny how the people who say they just want to get on with their lives have so much time to spend wailing about a demographic that's tiny in proportion to the heterosexual portion of the populace. Like, if it weren't for this site, I'd have gone through the whole month without twigging that it was Pride.

I know yeah. And the irony of having virtue signalling rants about virtue signalling

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I couldnt care less what someone's demo is to be honest gat straight and the other 100 varieties that exist.

Where I am its pride flags roundabouts painted and pedestrian flags. Its everywhere.

It give real homophobes a platform of attack.

But I wonder why do we need this why are we differentiating still in 2022 there is no need.

Anyway I'm out I'm not being dragged down the old your a homophobe because you expressed a mere opinion on the matter outside the gay mainstream.

Homophobes will be homophobes regardless of what colour roundabouts are. Why should we pander to them?

In 2022, yes, there is a need. Any time I speak with my gay friends, this becomes apparent very quickly.

Best of luck with it so .

Fully supportive of it just dont see the need.

Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,337 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No amount of rainbow coloured roundabouts and flags are going to change minds and opinions that are already made up.

So, you're fully supportive of Pride but you've a few posts complaining about its existence. Why would you support something you deem unnecessary?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Leinster rugby player Nick McCarthy comes out as gay.

Fair play to him - and I believe that he is the first professional Irish rugby player to come out.

Article linked here:

I'm supportive of it yes why are you starting an argument?

I dont see the purpose in it yes. Doesnt mean I cant support it.

Your post signifies pride for me. It's a platform for this whole debate of why dont you support it are you a homophobe etc.

It shouldn't exist gay marriage was mandated for end of.

I have said that already.

Now your here sparring for an argument on the back of pride and my opinion on it.

More or less called me a homophobic without meeting me a few posts back!

This sums up pride.

Its happening I dont see why but i am supportive of it best of luck.

They way this country is going we will be having the white privilege educated male day in a few years anyway.

Just hope the months dont clash as you will be exhausted from counter questioning peoples opinions.

Again enjoy your month.

• Advertisement

Weird. Claiming you couldn't care less then saying why you do care.

Terry Pratchet

I think there is the wrong focus here. Pride isn't about homophobia. It's not about the heterosexual population. It's about the LGBQ community. The perception we have about ourselves and promoting the positives of that to everyone, so that it diminishes the ignorance that exists.

In the past, stereotypes and hate/fear/contempt/distrust caused people to talk a lot of shite about homosexuals. Misconceptions were commonplace. And that's why Pride exists. It's primarily a celebration for the LGBQ community to publicly express themselves, and secondly, to show everyone what is involved, without the biases of the past.

Lastly, homophobia, inequalities, and ignorance will always exist. It's a pipedream that it's ever going to disappear completely. Pride will continue to evolve and become something different over time. What that is, I don't know, but it's still needed for now. Later, I don't know. We'll just have to wait and see what kind of society we have in another 20-30 years.

And there's the victimhood narrative.

This is a discussion forum. It's intended for discussion. Now you're pretending I called you a homophobe when I did no such thing.

So now you're supportive of Pride but it shouldn't exist.

I've no idea what to make of this. You seem to be very confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Jafin

I have a simple question because I'm confused. "It shouldn't exist gay marriage was mandated for end of." - what's this about? Pride is not, and never was, about gay marriage. *Marriage equality is one thread in the tapestry.

I agree.. but usually those made up minds come from a place of ignorance. They've met one homosexual and so, believe that all homosexuals are the same. Or they had one experience, or saw something on TV, or heard something from a parent. Ignorance. Limited exposure.

Those minds will change when they see homosexuals as being little different from them, and their friends. Which is the reality.

Or they won't change, but will die off eventually, and those who come after will be more open-minded towards homosexuality. However, there's always going to be homophobia, because some people can't tolerate what is different from themselves. I've met homosexuals who were sexist, racist, etc. People are people. It's really that simple.

Cause people are still subject to homophobia, rights are limited in plenty of countries. Efforts are made to limit their rights, even within the EU. Check the likes of Poland or Hungary. So pride is both a celebration and solidarity with those who still face discrimination across the globe. It's equally a recognition of those who campaigned over decades for those rights.

The homophobes etc attack for any reason they can. Hiding away just gives them more power tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

There is an inbred internalised battle that goes on with some homosexuals around this time of year, I was eskimohunt at one stage. My posts and matter of speaking on Pride was tainted with an unhealthy cynicism that lived in me. From working at grass roots with the community it opened my eyes to how we are in a very special priveleged position. Pride has become a commerical entity far removed from what it was years ago when those drag queens and trans we complain so much of fought to give us the freedoms we have today. Important to reorientate it towards that. Pride is also for the fetish and kink communities, with overt sexualisation in the media so commonplace now none of it should be a shock

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Reading your

Reading that post, its like the Irish have never been homophobic in their life. Iona Institute and others are still in existence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

And? I don't understand your point.

How can anyone say Ukrainians share the European values when they're largely homophobic? Whether we have been homophobic in the past makes no difference to the here and now.

Advertisement