Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Braces for Child

Options
  • 14-06-2022 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

Our eldest girl is 10 and her teeth seem to have grown down pretty overcrowded after she lost her baby teeth. Her baby teeth were very straight, but she seems to have some teeth growing in front/behind others now, mainly on the top but with some crooked teeth on the bottom also. I had much the same when I was younger and needed orthodontic treatment.

I want to make sure she gets the treatment she needs, but I'm not entirely sure what we should/shouldn't be doing. Is there a built in dental check to determine if orthodontic treatment is needed in primary school? She's currently in 3rd class, moving to 4th from September. If she's eligible for this, is there a cost?

Or should we be considering private right now? With the cost of private it's a little daunting, but we could make it happen if it was a much better option. She's not at all conscious about it right now, but I got braces pretty late (19) and I know it was always on my mind when smiling/laughing etc from about 12 onwards so just want to make sure she doesn't have to go through the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭capnsparkles

Generally children in 6th class are checked by the HSE Schools Dentist. They assess the orthodontic need of the child. Criteria is quite stringent. If the child qualifies they are placed on the waiting list.

Most of the questions raised regarding Dental treatment in the Dail seem to be about these waiting lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Thanks - that's very helpful. Would I be right in assuming that even if we were to go private, it's better to wait until about 6th class anyway? E.g. is there any point in us doing anything now or should we just wait to see the outcome of the 6th class check before we do anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭capnsparkles

You could get a private opinion , then you may know what your options are.

Yep, fair point. I'm at least a little hesitant of this as our dentist mentioned to us (whether true or now) that once you engage an orthodontist privately, the child becomes ineligible for HSE treatment. It sounds like it can't possibly be true (or even discoverable by the HSE in practical terms), but I'm not sure why they would say it if it wasn't. Which is why I'm here asking I guess 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’ve never heard this before, but their game their rules. Unless your daughter has an appliance fitted/teeth extracted for ortho, or you inform them that you have begun ortho privately, I’m struggling to see how they would know you had gone to a private orthodontist. Orthodontists would be unlikely to begin treatment until the baby teeth have been lost and the adult teeth have erupted, so don’t worry, there is no rush with this. Even if you go to a private ortho now, chances are they will tell you come back in a year or two when the jaws have grown more and the adult teeth have erupted.

• Advertisement

My child is in 2nd class and had an appointment with the HSE dentist recently. The dentist was absolutely excellent. She flagged that my child might need braces and placed her on the HSE list and I'm hoping she'll be seen by age 10 again.

In theory, children should be seen as soon as most of their adult teeth come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭ax530

You can bring it up with usual dentist during check up. Dentist does measurements on my child teeth monitoring each year. He mentioned that teeth changes as jaw grows

That's a fair point - we'll likely hold tight for the time being.

It might be no harm for me to give the school a shout and see if they have any visibility of when HSE dentists typically come in. They may not, but it's probably no harm asking I guess.

Her usual dentist brought it up originally, but doesn't do measurements (yet at least - just standard checkup).

Thanks all - that helps. I'll give the school a shout, and hold tight for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭sekond

Our 10/nearly 11 year old has similar problems and our private dentist has already referred her to an orthodontist (initial consult happening over the summer). From what I gather, the HSE treatment is limited to those with very severe issues - or at least, you'll only make it to the top of the waiting list for severe issues - so we've been advised to go private. Her teeth would be quite bad cosmetically without the work, but probably no major issue with bite/alignment etc.

There's quite a few of her classmates and friends (all just finishing 4th class) with braces/expanders/other orthodontics in recent months, so perhaps this is the age when it starts.

It may be the way to go. I spoke with the school, but they don't really know what's happening with it at the moment. They haven't had anyone out in the last few years with covid, but haven't heard what the plan was (or if there was a plan) to get going again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

So having just gone through this, I have good news and bad news for you OP..... sorry, it's mainly bad ☹️

Our eldest wasn't long turned 10 (possibly still 9) and was seen by Dentist through school. They have numbers for bite (sorry can't remember the details) and she was on the very bad side of the scale and it meant she was a prime candidate for braces.

However, the dentist couldn't officially tell us this as she was to young. The HSE rule is that until the child is 11, they won't assess them for braces. And from there, we were told we can apply to have her assessed after she turns 11 and will go on a waiting list to be seen and after they see her and officially decide she needs braces, we will then go on another waiting list and she would probably be about 15 when they start the treatment.

We decided to have her seen privately and found some of the local orthodontists host open days when you can get free assessments. worth looking around for some options. We signed up to one lad quite local to us. I think the fee was about €4k. (Don't forget you can claim 20% back through taxes). From speaking to friends, there were other options available for about €3k, but I guess it might depend on area, reputation and how bad your child is.

Our kid is doing well, nearly 13 and is improving well, however one or 2 give outs from the dentist about poor cleaning has slowed progress, so you need to watch they do it right and don't eat the wrong stuff.

Best of luck

Advertisement