Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rolex Explorer Polar dial 42mm 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I’ve considered that particular watch a few times now but am going to wait and see what way watch prices go over the coming months .Good chance that price will drop soon

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Martin32

Thank you scwazrh, I’m wondering the same although can’t see going much below this for that model . I don’t know myself

If you are buying to keep and it’s something you’ve wanted for a while and are just now in a position to get one then I would say go for it . If on the other hand you might want to move it on within a year or so I would suggest wait and watch prices over the coming months . I think €12k is a peak price for that watch .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭893bet

Could be 9k in 12 months. Or 14k.

I think the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

This was a model that they couldn't get rid of up until the madness was well in full swing. I'd say only the Airking was less coveted among the sports watches. And with that, and given the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised to see it freely available around RRP, or under, in 12 months time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Fitz II

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

€12k is overpriced, all his watches are. He prices them typically at about the current grey market value + 10%. And he doesn't do any discount really. Seems to work for him though, not sure how 😂

I sold mine, in perfect condition, full set, also with recent Rolex service and unworn bracelet (after service), originally Irish watch bought from the first owner, for €10,750 4 months ago, which was at the very top of what one would fetch privately (and nearly €1k higher than the cheapest in Europe on chrono). This watch was back up for sale last week briefly with an asking price of €11.5k which was a bit optimistic as the market has dropped slightly. I would spend no more than €10k on one, full set, perfect condition at the moment. I'm with 893bet, nobody knows but if I had to bet money in a years time it will be worth roughly the same €10k as now plus or minus €1k

Just checked and cheapest asking price on chrono in Europe is a private sale for €10.5k, which I feel is slightly optimistic and of course includes the chrono fee and likely a small bit of room for negotiation

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Martin32

Thank you all, especially unkel for detailed reply

this was exactly info I was hoping for

BTW the RRP for this watch is €9,100, so the current second hand private sale value is barely over RRP as it is.

I’d pick one up at €10k but hard to find a decent one at that price that’s not in need of a service and a polish

• Advertisement

I'd say some sellers feel a light panic (that wasn't there a few months ago) and you might get away with an offer below asking price where you would have been laughed out of it previously. And for reference, I sold mine in February 2022 for €10750 and I bought in November 2021 (3 months prior) for €9700

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

This thread needs pictures!

The polar explorer somehow got the reputation of the "poor man's Rolex" until recently anwyay. Now this moniker wouldn't bother me, but I feel it doesn't do the watch justice. If I didn't have my Deepsea, I would be happy to have it as my daily wearer, I prefer it over any GMT Master II or Daytona or Yacht Master as those are simply too small of a watch unless you have a small wrist. Even the older 40mm model Explorer II wears bigger than any of them and even bigger than the old model submariner 40mm

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If memory serves, back when I 1st started posting on this particular sub back in 2019 or so. This was the Rolex I wanted. I should've bought back then 😉 I like both colours of the explorer 2 and will pick one up some day.

Not in the next year or so tho unless an irresistible bargain jumps into my lap. With the softening in prices I think that these and Airkings will be the 1st of the Rolex to feel the squeeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

The white dialled Explorer II is a strange one for me. Usually I don't like Mercedes hands at all. Or a steel bezel for that matter.

But neither of them annoy me on this model. I assume it's to do with the contrast of the hands against the dial and the black numbering on the bezel.

However, the older version with the spindly arm for the GMT hand can get in the bin.

I think two weeks ago we were “arguing” about prices James Cameron we’re selling on Tz.

this week we have a 16..5 k hulk…,plenty more in the tank.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?512135-FS-Rolex-116610lv

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Dropped his asking from 18k in just a week! Would make one wonder just what kind of offers he was fielding if he felt the need to discount that deep in just a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭fat bloke

That's a lovely looking watch. Love the white dial and the orange GMT

Hulk is (or should I say almost was) a hype watch. Polar Explorer and James Cameron never have been. Not yet anyway 😂

I am sure the JC is holding steady. Just the hype watches impacted. That’s what Roman sharf and all the other dealers have said so must be true 😀

• Advertisement

So what we are saying is that the Hype watches drag up prices on everything on the way up...but the entanglement is lost on the way down...makes sense.....

An average rise of 10% per year seems sustainable enough, might get a few corrections on the way. But watches that have seen 50-100% jumps in price in some years are sure to get much bigger corrections. A €30-40k hulk was just madness.

Sure the hype models have further to fall, but this suggestion that non hype SS Rolex are safer is not true. Go on watchfinder and they are dumping Explorer, Milgauss and datejusts to beat the band. 5-7% off. The hype watches are hype because people in general like them more than the non hype models, they desire them more. That's not going to change. If you can get a hulk for 16.5k gbp how is a black sub going to hold 14k gbp value?...answer its not, and its currently not, and soon enough these non hype models will get closer and closer to retail. Once they touch retail or under the market for them is gone. Its the amount over retail (or the ammount over what you paid) you have to play with that is the key metric.

Say a GV Milgauss is 11.950 gbp on watchfinder (which it is 10% off) and retail is 7350 gbp. Thats 4600 gbp over retail. That the "profit" in it. 10% off is 1330 gbp off the price. That represents 29% of the profit off the watch gone.

Say a hulk is 22,265 gbp on watchfinder (which it is 10% off) and retail is 8800 gbp (discontinued but thats the Cermit retail price) Thats 13,465 "profit" in the watch. 10% off is 2475 gbp off the profit. Thats 18% of the profit gone.

5% off an explorer II represents a greater loss in real value than 10% off a hulk. Not saying hype watches are doing well they are tanking, but the non hype SS stuff is going the same way as quickly and in greater volume. In a falling market dealers will offload cheaper watches first cause aint nobody buying expensive ones. My AP is on consignment in belfast. Prices 6 weeks ago as cheapest on chrono. No buyers. Dropped 11k off the price....no buyers. I am pulling it back in now cause the chance to see a profit is gone. Dealers offering half chrono lowest its carnage out there, chrono is 100% fiction.

Once any watch doesnt have a grand in profit over retail, the entire grey market for that watch is gone. Flipper wont want them from AD's and those holding stock will flush the non hype first in the hope that the hype models are better long term holds and they can get their buy in price back in the future. With non hype dealers bought close to resale, maybe 1k or 2k to play with. With hype watches its my experiance offers are always 5-10k under retail as its a bigger bit of capital to sink into one piece. There is more room. ....I dont know if I am explaining my thinking well here its getting complex. Basically its all screwed, enjoy yer watches cause we will all be in the red soon enough. Sure there is 15% off Moonwatches, 15% off tudors. Hulk will be 13.5k euro again soon enough, subs for retail, precious watches under retail, 6k Milgauss, 11k GMTs nothing is safe.

Sure there is 15% off Moonwatches, 15% off tudors. Hulk will be 13.5k euro again soon enough, subs for retail, precious watches under retail, 6k Milgauss, 11k GMTs nothing is safe.

Bring it on, sooner the better. It’ll be nice to be able to buy watches at reasonable prices and remove the money and constant “what’s it worth” from the hobby

"5% off an explorer II represents a greater loss in real value than 10% off a hulk."

Eh? A hulk going for €30k 6 months ago might go for €20k now, a €11k 6 months ago Explorer II polar 42 might go for €10k now (rough figures), of course the greater loss in both relative and absolute terms would be the hyped watch, surely? What the retail price is or was in any of these is not really relevant. And yes I agree of course that if a hype sub is dropping to close to the price that a plain sub was before the current correction, that plain sub will not hold its value either

Ah thats where your missing the point hulk were never 30k....they were asking 30k, but the offers were more like 24-25k....suddenly taking a private sale off TZ and comparing it to a chrono imaginary asking makes the delta look bigger than it really is.

Sure, but still at 25k (lowish guess) vs 20k now (highish guess), that's an absolute loss of 5k and a relative loss of 20% (vs 1k and 10% for the Explorer)

But it depends on when you bought in, thats the point. We can all dream about the value of our watches, but thats unfortunatly what they are. Go to sell it....then you find out what somebody I willing to pay. You can put any value on them in the mean time. It may be that some watches are unsellable epically those that were a hard sell during the madness. I will throw in a watchfinder request on a James Camerson new model and lets see what they get back with.

WF always offer 10-20% under grey market even for Rolex (and a lot less for most other brands) and if they're half wise, they will only make extreme lowball offers ATM otherwise they expose themselves to even more risk with the substantial stock that they have. For anyone inclined to buy a watch from WF (without trade in), now would be a good time to get a substantial discount off their often ludicrous selling prices 😁

• Advertisement

They quote fair private sale value usually, never had a bad offer from them. Here is the offer on a JC 2017 full set. Not a bad offer I think

Advertisement