Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pride ends media partnership with RTE over Liveline's Gender Identity discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

Likewise nobody should be encouraging teenage girls to have double mastectomies.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

Surely that's just Kink though? That stuff of grown men dressing as babies and toddlers has been around for a long while, not as creepy as guys in dog masks on leashes, but hey, whatever floats people's boats. At least the dog lads take off the hoods and ball gags after a play session and don't expect the world to call them Lassie and acknowledge that they're are good dogs.

Agreed.

Many IDs come across as incredibly narcissistic and self-absorbed.

I'm certainly no fan of it, but thought for the sake of painting the full picture, it was worth raising this to people's attention.

Trans- has never just been about male to female and vice versa.

The non-binary element often gets forgotten.

Verangender: a gender that seems to shift/change the moment it is identified

Love this one. Utterly bizarre. And this is what society/culture is supposed to adapt to? How? when they have no fixed position, and everything can change whenever they like.

I'll use the preferred pronouns, and extend respect as people.. but that's it. And I'll resist any notion that others should be forced to comply with their changeable perception of reality.

The non-binary element often gets forgotten.

Not forgotten, just conveniently removed from the discussion because the position is so unreasonable/illogical.

However, any success for the other Trans groups will extend to non-binary...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭sekiro

Astralgender: a gender that feels connected to space.

Welp, today I found out that I am Astralgender.

My pronouns are star/light/starself.

So to hell with all you hateful cisgender bigots! I am out.

Astralgender rights NOW!

Did you know that Astralgender people are an even smaller minority than trans-men and trans-women? So much so that these hateful bigots often don't even acknowledge that we exist?

They've done such a good job of denying Astralgender existence that I didn't even know I was one until just 5 minutes ago. Think about that. People constantly banging on about trans-men this and trans-women that all over media while us proud Astralgenders don't even get a crumb of acknowledgment.

Space has been around a lot, A LOT, longer than humanity and we don't even get a fraction of coverage? The stuff we are made of bloody formed in space! You think the water in your body just came from nowhere?

The LGBTQ+ community barely even acknowledges our existence. So much so that you wonder if they even want us to exist at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I don't mean to make fun, as I'm concious it's a subject of great consuquence for the trans community and they feel a lot is at stake for them, but in googling what verangender is, I came across this beaut...

"Ultigender, not to be mistaken for pangender, wholly represents all genders including yet undiscovered genders as well as spiritual and cultural genders such as Two-Spirit and Hijra. This state of intergender, although difficult to comprehend, is often explained in terms of the universe whereby the known genders make up the observable universe while those undiscovered holistically make the entire universe."

Sorry not sorry, if someone came at me asking to take this seriously, they'll be dissapointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭archfi

Ah, Helen Joyce.

I recommend her book, 'Trans: When Ideology Meets Reality' - very clear and concise analysis.

Has anyone any recommendations for a book with the opposite analysis?

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement

Love the modest "although difficult to comprehend" part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

If one can say this, which is true, then there shouldn't be any issue stating the fact that (for example) on aggregate gay men are more likely to be pedophiles.

There are different groups that it is fine to criticise and other groups that it is verboten, even when pointing out facts.

Spacers? An outdated and derogatory term! Please donate to my Ko-Fi. I am saving up 3 grand to buy a starsuit so that I can live my authentic life! Also please sign my petition to ban Space Raiders snacks. My identity is not a snack for cispeople to enjoy!

(You know this non-binary thing is kind of fun. Fake outrage is strangely cathartic. I can see the appeal.)

It sure does.

It means that I value reality and facts over the idea of self identification.

You do paint yourself into a corner though. I assume to hold your position, you would need to admit that you give every gender the same weight of respect.

Tell me Anna, exactly how many genders do you tolerate and how do you verify the legitamacy?

If there are no limits to gender, could I identify as truthgendered, a gender where I am always right? Would that not compel you to recognise that I am indeed always right? If not, then why should a man who identifies as a woman be extended the recognition of being a woman?

This whole thing has absolutely no basis in actual reality.

I await, but don't expect, your response.

Limitless genders reminds me of the kind of make-believe that children do when growing up; having their own special belief that makes them feel different from everyone else.

Its just an impossible position.

As was said earlier, you only hear Anna and other trans activists/allies talk about a very niche corner of what trans means. Almost exclusively, they harp on about male and female trans. Not a peep about the INFINITE amount of other genders.

To believe that all people have a right to be treated as their preferred gender is not only impossible, it's downright stupidity.

This whole furore (caused by trans activists like the ones one here not being able to discuss the subject of gender identification without imploding) has shone a light on how absurd it is. It has been seen by people who would usually have been tolerant and respectful towards the community who now are of the opinion that enough is enough.

Well done guys, an own goal during a month where usually you were untouchable.

Statistics show that roughly only 25-30% of trans- people had undergone a surgical intervention, but I think only 10-15% have had any surgery in the genital area.

In other words, most trans- people choose not to have any surgery at all (which is fine, that's their choice).

But this is worth putting into context, as many people may have mistakenly assumed the vast majority had undergone these kinds of surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

When you try to bring up any of the other genders and claim equal treatment and respect they will just accuse you of trolling or being insincere and that's how they will get out of it.

Ask about attack helicopters and you'll be told it's a transphobic joke. Probably something along the likes of "it's the only joke these transphobes have". Is it a joke though? Either you can identify as whatever you want or you can't. You can identify as whatever you want except for anything that exposes the absurdity of identifying as whatever you want.

Ooooh what’s the term for believing I’m my childhood imaginary friend?

• Advertisement

Not surprising that this thread brings in the vile homophobic bigotry too

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

It's a fact though.

Question for you wrt

Can a fact be racist, sexist, homophobic, ableist etc?

Are you going to answer any questions asked of you?

If you've condemned Helen Joyce, then she must be saying something right on this issue.

In fact, I'd never heard of her before you raised her to this thread's attention. After doing some research, she is an Irish journalist who is an executive editor at The Economist, who wrote a best selling book called Trans: When Ideology Meets Reality.

I'm going to buy that book and judge for myself her arguments and positions. But as I say, if you've condemned this journalist, then I've no doubt that she has something valuable and worthwhile to say on this subject.

Not surprising that you are trying to inject homophobia to a thread when there isn't any.

Running out of ways to get the thread closed?

Any chance you might respond to any of the questions or have you identified as having answered already?

Yep. It is a fact that you are a vile bigoted homophobe.

Terry Pratchet

It says a lot that you support the bigoted homophobia

Terry Pratchet

As a homosexual myself, I can confirm that he said nothing homophobic that caught my attention.

You're trying to poison the thread with toxicity like that in an attempt to get the thread closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

LGB community has been largely co-opted by T. The T movement is actively supported by media, enterprise and gov for the usual money-based reasons (i.e. it's NOT due to sudden outbreak of "care" for this specific minority). The T activists don't realise/care that they're in a circus ring. Very difficult spot for LGB.

Novigender IS brilliant though, it's like a gender version of taking the 5th: if I don't know, then you can't make me say, but it's my lived experience, qed I'm right. lol.

• Advertisement

🤣🤣🤣

Paddy Manning and Keith Mills are looking for sidekicks

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement