Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hay 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

First bit of hay saved for the year. Done it for a neighbour. He has about 100 small square bales to sell if anyone around the midlands are interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Doing the final turn here at the moment. It's in cracking order. The wind yesterday was fantastic and then the sun today. Baling it up this afternoon. Wasn't the classic hay spell, but the one for the long haul. We were blessed over the past 2 years for hay weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Just after giving it a bash with the Haybob. I'm going to stat bailing about 6 this evening, the Hay should be cracking good by then. I'm down to 8 acres after wrapping 7 acres last night. Made 77 bales, and I'm expecting at least 70 Hay bales so not too bad.

I have a feeling that we might not get this Rain on Tuesday either, I just don't trust the forecasts of late they have been very hit and miss and may have wasted 2 rolls of plastic but we'll see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,210 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If it was saved well, it's never a waste.

One could easily be regretting not wrapping the lot.

Great to hear a lot of ye got the weather for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Sami23

Is that the stuff that was only cut last Thursday before Fridays rain ?

Reason I ask is I cut mine on Thursday too but not a hope would it he fit to bale this evening.

Did it get many turns ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭joe35

Turned there at 10am, will row in now at 1 and bale this evening. Great condition so far

Cut Thursday, turned Sat,Sun and today. Will row up for the Baler in about an hours time and leave it till 8 before bailing. Yesterday was a much better day on Hay than I thought, the stuff was cracking this morning as I shock it out.

I have already taken half in Hayleadge as it was too green and leafy for Hay. It's probably similar to what you have. The rest was steamy overgrown stuff that was halfway saved as it was cut. I noticed Met has changed the forecast from Rain tomorrow to patchy drizzle in places. By the sounds of it will not get a drop but can you do when they make forecasts like that.

Just off the meadows. 125 bales of 18 acres, heavier than I thought it would be. 3/4 of the ground didn't see a sprinkle or a drop of slurry. Cracking order and clean. Was down since last Sunday.

Another 24 acres done here today for a neighbour. Cut Thursday and turned 3 times. Being baled up atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Met Eireann forecasting alot of rain from Friday onwards....

Decided to hold off for another while as a result....if this doesnt materialise...i cant be held responsible for my actions

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

Good stuff great to get it.

Mine like that was cut Thursday, got soaked Friday, turned Saturday n twice today but is nowhere near fit for baling - even square baling.

I'm just hoping Wednesday and Thursday come ok n I might get it - if not I'll wrap as hayledge Thursday. Fingers 🤞

Today was a cracker in fairness, just a pity twas only the one day

Just can't understand how ye can get Hay that quick but I suppose the weather does always seem to be better further east than here in Galway .

The stuff I cut Thursday was only grazing ground that went a bit strong n got no manure and it's still a couple of days away from being fit.

I should put it out there that I do only have a haybob so maby that is a contributing factor 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

It is. Same here. Fellas talking about three turns and fit. No chance with the hay Bob. Need 5 usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What are round bales of hay making this year?

Agree 100% but at approx. 10k for the cheapest 4 rotor it's very hard to justify and also to come up with that sort of money for something that will sit in the shed for 50 weeks of the year.

I would love one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mitchells33

Round bales of hay between 35 and 40 down this way

Bought one 3 hours ago 😅. Second hand and got less than 1/4 of the 10k mentioned above!

All depends on what is in the bale and how well it's made. Some crap has been baled and some good stuff has been baled aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Raked alot of hay for customers yesterday which 80% wasn't fit going into the bales..moisture probe and wrapper to follow today in betting

What make did you buy.

You know yourself it's just so hard to buy second hand as you could be buying a whole heap of trouble/crap that could cost alot in long run.

Best of luck with it anyway.

88 Bales of hay made last night. Went ok'ish. For some reason I just couldn't pack the bales as much as I wanted to. Other than that the Hay is 1st class.

Not at all true. The biggest mistake lads make with the Haybob is going out too soon and they end up forcing the stuff into lumps that's why a tether comes into its own as it does make lumps. The biggest part of saving Hay is to let it wilt first the give it a couple of shakes. Rowing it up for a few hours before baling does wonders too.

Good Silage is making €50 so I wouldn't be selling it down of €60, and I suspect it will go more yet as the winter draws nearer as there hasn't been much hay made yet.

You sound like one in our parish always talking of making Hay but ends up making bags of Silage and Water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Made 217 square bales yesterday evening - took a gamble with a few blows left in the middle of a field cut the previous sunday for wrapping. Worked out grand stuff. 100 left to bring in this evening hopefully. A bit of hardship but all forgotten about next winter when a few small bales are handy to have.

Brother has Glas traditional haymeadow to cut in July. Will make rounds of that if weather allows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭DBK1

The biggest mistake lads make with the haybob is that they don’t know how to drive them. The first turning id the most inportant as that’s where the damage is done if not driven properly. A slow forward speed with good revs to break up the rows of the mower. Too many lads driving around with the tractor only ticking over trying to save diesel and all they’re doing is making a mess behind them.

Silage is advertised at €50 a bale, I’ve yet to hear of anyone that either got that for selling it or paid that when buying it. 2 months ago I’d have agreed with your figures but I’ve a very different opinion now.

Absolutely no sale for bales of silage around here, everyone has had far heavier meadows than expected and all trying to sell some with no one looking to buy.

I think there’ll be a surplus of feed next winter after one of the best grass growing years in memory and no matter what it cost to make a bale they’ll end up being sold at a normal price €25-€30 a bale as lads will want rid of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Kicking myself I did not bale yesterday evening ,very green turned 3 times but only cut thursday .Got 6 mls of scuttery mist this morning ,day brightening up but no life at all .Tomorrow looks good but no wind and Thursday likewise.

What would ye do lads???

• Advertisement

Agree about price of silage. Meadows have never been heavier around here too.

The most I heard silage selling for was 35euro but I expect like you say most will be sold at 25-30 due to the sheer amount of it available.

I'm in very same position here. Just hoping it will keep saving away today and tomorrow and bale Thursday afternoon but wondering will be ok to bale Hay in these cloudy conditions or would you need a bit of sun the day you bale ?

Also, not sure whether to turn today or not ?

Like yours it's been turned 3 times so far

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭James2022

There is still heat out there. Wait until the top dries and then give it a turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Serious muck weather on the way according to met eireann....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Tileman

Did u but the one in cork or Limerick. ? 😀 I had two tagged in DoneDeal and when I rang both had just being sold,

• Advertisement

Silage costs over €30 to make, realistically it's costing between €35 and €40 when you add back in the cost of bring in the Bales too. I doubt you meet many to sell it at a loss but continue wishful thinking away for yourself. Most folks will just leave it in the yard and use it the following year as next years stuff is going to cost even more to make.

As for Hay, with so little being made it's going to hit €60 a bale and maybe even higher

The cost to make it is irrelevant to supply and demand. When silage was in plentiful supply 2 or 3 years ago there was lads selling it for €12 a bale to get rid of it. They weren’t even covering the contractor charges

I have both hay and silage to sell so there’s no one here hoping you’re right and I’m wrong more than me but unfortunately I can only see it being the other way around. If silage isn’t making €40 plus a bale I won’t be selling it and I’ll keep it for the following year but there will be plenty of lads that want rid of it and will sell it at what the market prices dictate.

Any amount of hay made around here the last few days too and it’s early in the year for a lot of lads with hay. 2 good weeks in July and there’ll be a world of hay made too.

Plenty Hay made around here too but it's what is made in the west and north of the country which dictates the demand. Last year 2 lorries in the area were going to marts in the west twice a week from October to April, those lads are already paying €35-€40 straight off the field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Tileman

Very good best of luck with it. He does have a few up for sale. Was he ok to deal with ?

See dungdeal start to fill with adds for hay at €30/bale...no scarcety off fodder this year anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,210 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No but it is not unusual to see it sold at a loss either.

I got bales for end of Winter 2020 and they were 12 a bale. He wanted them gone.

You wouldn't want to be relying on it to happen. Savage to the world volume in crops this year.

40 to 45 wouldn't be bad to pay next winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I'm going to look at 450 bales in Co. Meath tomorrow from a guy that we buy from every year. He is looking for €30/bale but I'll knock a few quid off that. I also have to factor in diesel costs which have gone up nearly a euro/litre since this time last year.

I paid that fir my 6 rotor 5 years ago. Wonder what they are now

• Advertisement

He imports from Europe. I guess everyone is a little roll of the dice but not heard of anyone being left stuck. Only way if testing is to get it in the field. Neighbour has one from him the last 3 years.

God only knows.

I priced both a Malone and Krone 4 rotor about 6 weeks ago - one was 10k and the other nearly 11k so that was the end of that 😞

Let us know how it goes when you get around to using it anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

A friend of mine bought a 6 rotor Malone tedder two years ago for €14K, he thinks they’re €16.5K now. They are a serious machine, do a great job with silage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

€60 a bale for stuff that'll be transported across the country isn't realistic, the €35-40 will still leave it dear when transport is taken into consideration.

Try selling bales up €20 on diesel costs and then another €20 for the lad making them and suddenly the buyer will be thinking of cutting losses (numbers) not buying dear Hay.

Exactly, €40 a bale is the max any man is going to give. If hay is at €60 a bale it’s the mart the hay buyer will head for with a few of his cattle and he’ll forget about buying hay, no matter what fairytale land the man selling the hay is living in.

Another feckin dull morning - needs to improve lads

Last drought in the US saw farmers paying $200 dollars a hay bale in parts. There's already a fodder shortage in mainland Europe as they are effected much worse than us with the dependance on fertilizers and it's high price has led to a major Cull in livestock. Cattle of all types are going to be very expensive next Spring, lads will have no issue with ensuring they are fed.

• Advertisement

Another 5 acres done today

Advertisement