Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hay 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭DBK1

By this time next week we’re at the middle of July. A lot of lads with hay to cut probably have it growing since cattle were put into sheds last October or November. If it’s not cut this week and another unsettled spell comes it could be August before it’s cut!

In my opinion that’s just a complete waste of land, maybe 9 or 10 months growing one cut of grass. At this stage now just get it cut as quick as possible I’d say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Yes good dry weather ahead particularly from Thursday to Sunday / Monday. If I had anything to cut I'd be going ASAP with a view to baling next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Yes...i am cutting tomorrow....bale up hopefully at the weekend...im sick of looking at it at this stage....who knows what the following week will bring...the upcoming week seems relatively settled...not ideal but good enough!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Sami23

Agree 100% - anyone that wants Hay get it cut ASAP and bale it up next Monday or Tuesday.

Will be very easy for lads in the south east as they will get most sun but everyone should get it this time hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

Knocked around 6 acres late saturday evening.

Will get its first run of the tedder tomorrow.

Will be slow hay weather for the first half of the week but should get it baled up by friday.🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭YellowRattle

Hay rattle not rattling on upland meadows here so not the time yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Showers promised here every day for the next week with a nice dash next Monday/Tuesday so I won't rush to mow just yet.

Better looking forecast for the south east though

7 acres knocked this afternoon...hope to bale by the weekend...but could be next week...its promised dry for the week....

The poor divils in the north and west cant catch a break...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

Was in mayo and Galway yesterday the world of meadows were down. Not long down either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

loads knocked down here in North Cork too. The forecast is dry till Sunday week (not that you would want to depend on that) but not a whole lot of sun or wind. Will be a bit of a slog, but hopefully will get it baled well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Silverdream

I am planning to cut the Hay too but I think I'll wait till another Day or two as the forecast for Next week is much better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

I haven't cut anything either, been over cast and misty at times last few days and still is. Have two light fields and 1 heavy meadow so will probably do the two light ones this evening and wait for the meadow for a bit more solid weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Tileman

Same here. Old saving if you cut the hay dry it’s nearly half saved compared to try dry it when it’s on the ground wet. I’m on holidays so will get contractor to cut and will be home at weekend to start turning etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭minerleague

Good point this, cut dry (plain disc mower ) on saturday and sunday, some misty rain since but saving away all the same. Weather forecast isn't as positive for later this week as given earlier but hopefully having it down will mean shorter window will get it.

I agree to a point but if its cut now it will be saving/ wilting away for next week anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

A lot of the Hay ground around here that is left to cut has to be cold and wet after all the rain in the last few weeks. I'd agree with giving it a few days to dry out and warm up a bit.

I will have to cut soon as my Father has the mower and Haybob greased about 5 times at this stage. The two tractors are all topped up with diesel and the Hayshed is fully cleared out. I do hope we get the weather as he hates the look of Silage bales especially when the weather comes fine after making them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Absolutely, if the ground under it is dry before its cut, it will save twice as fast.

Every night the hay is on the ground it loses 1-2 units of DMD, so I don't agree with the 'leave it down for a week' approach.

With this cloudy weather are people turning/tedding less or as usual.

Cut here last Saturday, turned yesterday but finding it very slow to save so far in these cloudy conditions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭minerleague

Turned today for first time, cut sat and sunday, good breeze but no sun, weather is to pick up, nearly gone too far for haylage at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

Also cut mine Saturday evening. First tedded on Monday evening and again late yesterday evening.

Very little sun here and we have escaped any drizzle/mist too.

Great breezy day here today so will go through it again in the next hour. Very open field so is drying well.

Will probably bale up Friday

great drying since midday. another few days of this and start baling sunday and monday all going well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Post edited by 80sDiesel on

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Powerful drying day today....will turn tmw again...then bale up sunday/monday....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭50HX

Thinking of mowing 2mor, in the south west here, not a chance til now grass drowned today

Anyone else in same boat

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Yes, think I’ll mow tomorrow too, ted/turn on Saturday and Sunday, possibly again on Monday - but if the contractor rakes that day not sure if I’ll ted on Monday - hope to bale on Monday if fit - chance of a shower here on Tuesday- in mid-lands/NW border

That's a very tight window to get it baled Monday before the rain on Tuesday.

If it were me I wouldn't chance it but you know your own grass - if it's light and the weather stays like it was today you have a chance of getting it.

Going by all the forecasters including met eireann there's more than a chance of a shower on Tuesday- they saying it will be wet countrywide on Tuesday unfortunately

I mowed today so fingers crossed I'll get it by Monday evening. There is some rain showing on Met.ie for Tuesday afternoon but clear again after that for the rest of the week. The UK met shows no rain for Tuesday, they also predicted heavy fog/mist mist tonight which we are getting so I don't really know what to think about these forecasts. I notice the crop has more stem and seed than silage we make in the end of May so I believe it should be easier to get in Hay.

If I had my way we'd be doing all pit Silage and be done and dusted by the 1st week in June, but even though I'm the "farmer" with 5 years here I have as much say as Rover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I hate hay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭50HX

No chance of it now

Will wait til wed, heavy drizzle here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

What did ya break at hay? 😅

Nothing but I've a few hundred acres turned at this stage and I hate it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

You'll need a 10 rotor now to ease the pain. Nothing worse travelling to small bits

could bale this afternoon I think, but the luxury of having a few extra days is welcome, so will wait till tomorrow afternoon. any thing is better than rushing !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Aww no. Wait till tomorrow and it'll be slaved 🙈

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Held off cutting so far, but might do it tomorrow, we had continuous drizzle from 9 Wednesday night till 9 Thursday morning, and a small amount again this morning, I'm in south Kildare

Lucky the 6 rotor fits in some of the places. I'm in fields lately I never knew excited

Tuesday looking fairly wet atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

Probably wrong place for this question, but sure here goes. What's the going rate for tedding out grass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

It used to be €10-€12 an acre a couple of years ago, i assume it’s gone up. Got some tedding done this year, rang contractor the other day to arrange to pay for it, he told me there’s no panic as he hasn’t looked about getting paid for most of the tedding he did last year yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Yea was 10 around here with the big boys this years. They standing on at 10 again this year.

Another night of heavy fog and mist. The footpaths around the house are wet. I won't be able to do anything until this dries off. How this will effect the Hay I don't know. Hopefully that's the last night of the mist/fog as it's not ideal.

I haybob all the Hay yesterday and tbh the quality isn't great but I don't think it would have made good silage either. It's a lot of work for a few acres of Hay on top of which I got rattled alive and attacked by horseflies too.

Sorry to hear. What part of the country you in

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I am due south of you in North Kerry along coast no weather at all for hay unless you get a mighty burst of sun no hay will be fit ,forecast for next week now looks a mixed bag putting it mildly

After looking, very heavy dew last night. Like it had rained. But sun beginning to get through. In North Cork. Next to zero rain for the last week. Hopefully good sunshine for all the next 3 days and everyone gets what they want baled. Have ours sold but could be a huge quantity on done deal next week

Of all the weather apps despite other people recommending it I believe YR is the worst of them.

Never seems to get it right. Giving it cloudy here all day but the sun is already out and its going to be a cracker🔥.

Expecting to bale what was cut last Saturday tomorrow and another bit I cut on Tuesday on Monday all going well.

The last 2 days have been mighty with sun and breeze with tye breeze due to ease off for next few days.

Only for the haybob it would be baled yesterday or today I'd imagine but it's heavy glas meadows in fairness.

No not ideal weather for Hay but if it stays like this till Monday I'll get it regardless of the night time mist. I think the blanket of cloud drops at night giving us the mist. Himself doesn't seem to mind, he's happy out with the fork breaking up lumps from the haybob. Real 1980's farming here!! Thank God we don't have a square Baler or I'd have to emigrate

• Advertisement
Advertisement