Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hay 2022

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Tight on space here just using the overhang of shed to shelter few bales hay. Are they ok to stack on top of each other.on the flat? Have pallets under the bottom bale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭emaherx

Be grand, surely you'll be using them up first anyway. I've often left a few surplus bale's in cattle shed until it's time to bring them in, then out in the open a foot apart, not be long till those few get used up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Often left netted rounds of hay out in the yard for the winter, absolutely no wastage when used in frosty weather, as it turns the damp outside layer crispy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭50HX

Did hay here one year and used the plastic instead of net as no space, left them out for the winter, edges lost a bit but the rest was perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Must be a lot poor hay to say the least baled in the last couple of weeks, weather hasn't been there, dull cloud filled days, lacking consistent sunshine & breeze.

Neighbour baled up ten acres of rounds today, sun never appeared at all today & spat rain a couple of times. Yesterday evening turned dull & dark quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭older by the day

A bit of sweating/ heating often happened to hay here. They turned out fine. Infact the calves would go for the browned stuff in stead of the golden hay. So don't worry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I don't believe it. I've to go Ted hay again. Who or what do I need to make a blood sacrifice to, to put an end to this hay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭cute geoge

You need help!!

No serously surely some young fellow knocking around to give you a hand out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Not really as somehow I've got the reputation for making hay. Looking after ye farmers too good I am. Not gonna get hay as it was just mowed this morning and rain due Sat. Mowed nothing during the last hot week. Some lads are beyond help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Bales look as if they are starting to sag in the 3rd picture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Tileman

Well now that the country is full of hay. What is anyone actually getting for hay that they sold not the asking price on done deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭StevenToast

There will be hay in sheds for years to come....but thats the beauty of hay...itll keep....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

26 I got for strong hay and 32 for softer stuff made during the first rush

• Registered Users Posts: 46 releasevalve

Looked for 30 got 28 off the field from regular customer.

Costs : 10ish to cut/rake/bale

6-7 fertiliser

3 diesel spreading fert/turning

you need 26-28.

34 euros a bale plus delivery made the last fine spell. I’m I overpaying? Lots of hay made recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Well that's cheaper than silage at €25 a bale, so compared to other bought in feed its not dear.

However with the huge surplus of hay baled in the last two weeks a lot will be sold for less than what it cost to make yet.

There's also the quality to take into account. If it's 65+DMD leafy hay that was grazed up to April its good value. If its strong rough stuff growing since 2021 (or before!) it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Thought I was finished for the year but let down one last meadow today, I've no storage space left for the Hay but if I get it saved I might put a single wrap on it. I don't know what else to do with it. The hay is not good enough for silage, too many weeds and it got no fertilizer so it's really only going to be Cow's stomach filler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭kk.man

Saw a haybob behind a tractor today in what would be classed as dairy country. Many moons ago I had uncles who saved hay in August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Silverdream

You'd save hay in August, even up to mid-September but it wouldn't want to be a heavy crop or very "grassy". I was told that in the past folks didn't start saving winter fodder until mid July the earliest but then again they weren't horsing out the bag fertilizer.

The heavy dew is a pain in the hole as it can be as much as a light mist and takes half the day to dry off. We used to have a another Hayshed but my father took it down for some reason.

Post edited by Silverdream on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Cut some of the Aftergrass that went strong last Thursday, but said feck it with the weather ahead i would chance it for hay. Has saved very well so far, with the hardwork done on it. Will bale it either Wednesday or Thursday.

Serious drying weather out there, but the dew would be down before 9pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Tileman

First of the heatwaves. Don’t have hay down. Don’t know what to do with myself. Always associate the sunny days with hay.

we normally don’t get that many.

Advertisement