Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planning permission public consultation on solar panels

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Is the biggest change for roof mounted restrictions? I've a Southish facing wall (gable of house) I'm considering putting some vertical mounted panels on as a winter compliment to plans for shed roof.

Are walls in play without planning permission when this gets signed off?

The draft SI specifically states that wall mounted solar panels will not be exempted development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

If lifted next week, would that mean current planning applications automatically get passed or rendered unnecessary?

Would amestyies apply to setups currently in breach of the regs?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sligobuck

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Not lifted, “soon” to be lifted

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

Aaaaaand it's passed... Exemption effective as of Wednesday 5th October.

• Houses, regardless of location, may now install unlimited solar panels on their rooftops without any requirement for planning permission (subject to certain conditions)

• Exemptions also apply to rooftops of industrial buildings, business premises, community and educational buildings, places of worship, health buildings, libraries, certain public utility sites and farms.

• Certain restrictions continue to apply, including developments near certain aviation sites, protected structures and Architectural Conservation Areas.

The Minister for Housing, Local Government and Heritage, Darragh O’Brien, TD, has signed into law revised planning exemptions for the installation of solar panels on the rooftops of houses and certain non-domestic buildings. The exemptions are aimed at increasing Ireland’s generation of solar energy and combating climate change. The changes take immediate effect.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/9ba0e-new-planning-permission-exemptions-for-rooftop-solar-panels-on-homes-and-other-buildings/

Exemptions for wall-mounted too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

In general it's very good news that this is now in. However, disappointing that the proposed 25 sq metre limit for ground arrays on residential sites hasn't been increased from the draft regs while the limit on commercial sites seems to have gone up from 60 to 75 sq metres.

25 sq metre limit is possibly related to, as speculated in this thread, the 6 kW single phase export limit.

There is already a frenzy for people to get roof mounted solar panels and this will only increase now. I fear that there could be corners being cut and that this will only become apparent when wind and rain storms hit us. Ground arrays may be more expensive and "waste" garden space but they are also more straightforward in many ways.

@slave1 I think the wall mounted exemptions are only for commercial sites, good news alright for anyone to whom this applies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Where is this mentioned? I asked this recently and was told it wasn't exempt.

On reading it I'm more inclined to read it as exempt for industry and agriculture. A general exemption for all but the front of houses would have been fair in that context.

Industrial estate behind me can have 75m² of wall solar but I can't have any without planning doesn't make much sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Here is the SI

Max size for a ground array on a residential site is 25 square metres. Max height is 2.5 metres.

if you comply with everything in the regs but Karen next door claims that the glare from your panels is blinding her, she may have grounds for a complaint.

"Development under this Class which causes hazardous glint and/or glare shall not be exempted development and any solar photo - voltaic or solar thermal collector panels which are causing hazardous glint and/or glare shall either be removed or be covered until such time as a mitigation plan to address the hazardous glint and/or glare is agreed and implemented to the satisfaction of the Planning Authority". 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The houses opposite me reflect light into the office causing glare, does that mean I can get them knocked down or painted black? 😂

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

They amended that so, at the first stage it was 4m height exemption for ground arrays

Advertisement