Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom were charged when Amazon duty paid

Options
  • 15-06-2022 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

My understanding was that any orders under €22 were custom free and when one went over Amazon "wrapped" the customs.

See this example, product cost £17.58, £3.54 postage, £4.10 VAT, £21.93 total, duty marked on shipping label as paid!

But I got charged €9.45 customs (inc admin fee):

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Ciaran

If the item is less than €150, there's no customs duty and none seems to have been charged.

Imports under €22 used to be VAT free as well. Since last year, that's gone so you're charged Irish VAT at 23% of the 'customs value' of the item. As far as I know, the €3.50 is a flat fee that An Post charges when VAT hasn't been paid and they have to collect it.

Example 2 here seems to cover this situation.

I'm confused by your figures in sterling:

product cost £17.58, £3.54 postage, £4.10 VAT, £21.93 total

so I don't know whether the £4.10 is UK VAT or Irish VAT. If it's UK VAT, the seller/Amazon will have to refund you. If it's Irish VAT, show An Post and you won't owe them anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭boardtc

@Ciaran, our house has had 3 or 4 slips like above for normal purchases, whether you call it customs duty or VAT makes no difference to me, it's all money that has to be paid :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

It's written on the customs declaration that it's a EU shipment with VAT and DUTY paid as shown on left-hand pic...it's puzzling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

I’d try sending that pic to anaxon support and ask to be reimbursed the full amount of the Import Fees Deposit, assuming that was included on your order’s charges.

might even happen automatically, ive had partial refunds of the deposit come back to my account months after the actual purchase without prompting

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

This might be a place of Origin Issue, if the item originated outside EU and was imported to EU and then to the UK and back to EU then VAT is due (again)

or

Did you buy from Amazon or from a Retailer on Amazon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

Did this item come in Amazon packaging...I never received a Amazon package with vat and duty paid on printed labels put on the customs declaration sheet

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Just don't accept it and contact amazon for full refund. That's what I did. Its the only reason I purchase from Amazon as theres no customs etc to deal with on my side.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

It looks like it's from a third party seller. That customs label hasn't been completed correctly. The contents are marked as "Other" and slapping random stickers on top of the form isn't exactly the right way to go. If you already paid An Post, get on to Amazon for a refund, otherwise don't accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Allinall

Looks like you weren't charged UK VAT.

£17.58 + £3.54 postage is £21.12. This converted to Euro is the €25.90.

You were then charged Irish VAT of 23% on this, which is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭boardtc

Good advice on applying for amazon refunds. Thankfully, I had the above photos as I threw out the card. Anyway Amazon contacted the 3rd part company who replied, naturally passing the buck :-(

"There should be no customs charges as this shipment has been declared and collected through Amazon IOSS number. Customs need to reimburse the money because they have collected it twice."

https://www.anpost.com/Post-Parcels/Receiving/Pay-Customs-Charge don't make it easy to get in touch with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If the third party isn’t operating Irish VAT in it then that is the issue. I would expect this to be the case. You might not care about the distinction between VAT and customs but it is relevant. I generally buy only from Amazon where it deals directly with the importation which was not the case here. I doubt that you have a case for a refund.

Advertisement