Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIR are unbelievable

Options
  • 15-06-2022 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

My elderly parents got fibre installed about 4 weeks ago and have had nothing but trouble since.

The installer placed the router in the wrong section of the house where no one lives. Damaged the wall where the cable comes in and has left them with no Internet access in the living part of the house.

Multiple phone calls later and EIR are refusing to come out and move the router to the hall.

Installer told them to get homeplugs to get Internet access, what a complete joke.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

Go to EIR online and create account and then raise a written complaint. Go into quite a bit of detail and then this is the important bit cc it to COMREG. And make it obvious to EIR that you have got COMREG involved. One of the tricks they do is ring the mobile number and then if they don't have you on the account they can refuse to speak with you re that GDR etc. But if your dad is nearby get him to appoint you as accepted representative.

With FTTH they can opt to have the shortest route ie avoid bends but it appears you got a poor installer. And damaging the wall is a no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Do you want the router and ONT or just the router moved to the hall.

Eir say in their documentation they will only go 1m into the property with the fibre to the ONT.

They have an option when you order to run ethernet cable from the ONT to another location for the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Should have said parents in law but in any case Documentation or not to mislead them and leave them the way they did is shocking to say the least.

Loyal customers for over 40 years too, I'm just agast that elderly people would be treated like that

I jave filled out and submitted a complaint form on their behalf. I have mentioned Comreg in messages through twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭creedp

As a matter of interest do all providers have a similar policy? In my case if I use the underground ducting from my gate the fibre will emerge on the opposite side of the house to where my router is located in an attic room.

This would then require the fibre cable to be routed up external gable wall and across the attic to reach the current router location. The alternative is to run the fibre cable over ground from pole to the opposite gable wall which is adjacent to the current router location. I presume its the second option that the provider will insist on?

I have ethernet cable going to every room from this location but it means I am using both a gigabit powerline adapter and tp link WiFi range extenders to boost the existing router (AVM Fritx) WiFi signal downstairs.

Looking back I wish I had installed a double ethernet cable to the hallway downstairs as this would allow installation of the router downstairs and still be able to utilise the existing cables to each room, achieving the best of both worlds.

Presumably no easy solution to this issue at this point? I suppose I could connectthe existing fritzbox router to the hallway ethernet socket and use this to provide WiFi downstairs. Would this option be better than using tp link adaptors?

Just to clarity the brutally obvious to many, I'm not very technically minded and find it difficult to understand the termonology used so freely in these threads! So if any plain as possible English advise could be provided I'd be very grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Advertisement