Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cashing a Cheque

Options
  • 15-06-2022 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a Cheque that is from your bank(O Connell St). Is it possible to change this in branch for cash with my ID ?

I cannot lodge to my account as it's revolut. It is from the National lottery and not a big amount either, Failing that can I lodge it to my Sisters account ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Aisling

Hi There,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie.

It is not possible to cash a cheque at a branch. It would be necessary for the cheque to be lodged into an account for clearance. Generally, cheques would state 'payee only' or will be crossed which would prevent it from being lodge into a 3rd parties account.

Thanks, Aisling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I just remember you used to cash at the branch it was issued. It does say account payee only which sort of leaves me unable to cash it then. Could I not deposit it to another account in branch or by signing the back of it and who's account it is going to ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Thanks for getting back to us. You'd need to contact the cheque issuer to arrange an alternative method of payment. If a cheque is marked Account Payee we'd be unable to accept it for lodgement to another person's account.

Thanks

Tara

Advertisement