Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FEC committee & final report - **UPDATE post 442**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭garrettod

Email gone to my local FF TD, incl video clip. That's about the 4th email he's had from my regarding Brown, and I'm pressing him for a comment from the party leader.

Email also gone to Senator Robert Gallagher, given the Bill is before the Senate next week. His embark is as follows, if anyone else wants it:

robbie.gallagher@oireachtas.ie

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

When are the Senators looking into this..

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

For those who are not members of NASRPC, Please see the NASRPC submission re FEC 2023

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

I hope that a copy of that document has been sent to every politican, and every journalist, in the country, not just Browne!

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BSA International

I thought FURG were fighting this as a united group?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Must admit, I've yet to see any real sign of them working togeather, certainly no public flexing of muscles, which is definitely needed, to remind FFG who employs them!

Thanks,

G.

Out of interest, has anyone had any success with getting their local FF TD to extract a comment from MeHole?

I've asked twice, over the space of a few weeks, but nothing back to date.

I suspect MeHole is keeping quiet, to see just how much opposition there really is, to Brown, and what impact that might have on the party...

So if I'm right, it's time to ask anyone who hasn't done so already, to please demand that MeHole provide comment, via their local elected FF representatives.

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

My local as useful as a chocolate teapot FF TD said she'd raise the matter but she did fcukall. I won't forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 They Call Me Trinity

TBH, this issue is not on the political radar at all. I would say Michael Martin is not aware of any of this as there are bigger issues at play in the country.

In terms of general awareness amoung Irish politics, right now this directly affects Browne and his seat and no one else.

The FF TD's are trying to placate us as much as they can, but they can't seem to get Browne to address our concerns properly. We were told that he is quite surprised by the backlash as "these are only recommendations" and won't necessarily be written into law. That's why we were pushing hard for people to fill in the online survey and for each group to submit their own submission. There is a lot of overlap/repeating of points in each groups submission so hopefully the Minister will take these points on board when he/she is reading the same thing over and over again.

In my view, that's the real problem, it's not on the political radar, at national level....

If the politicans don't fear us, as a national voting block, they won't do anything for us - that must change, and fast. It's the single, most important thing, that FURG needs to drill home, imho.

Every single day, FFG need to be reminded that, between the licence holders, their family and their friends, there's a few hundred votes at risk!

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭freddieot

A few hundred thousand. Going on a base of about 3.5 million voters I believe the inpact is about 3% nationally if everyone remembers thus at the polls.

As an example, they've lost 2 votes for sure in my house alone. 2 in my neighbours house. 4 in another house and 2 more in my estate and I don't know who else might own firearms here. That's probably about 3% or more on this issue just in my estate. Also, we're all DEFINITELY GOING to vote, based on this next time, we won't skip going to the poll regardless of anything that might crop up.

It's all about the number of seats, and then trying to retain power in Government, and we all know that FFGG are not doing well in the polls etc, so they need us!

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Mississippi.

I see James Browne's boss minister mc Entee is back at work now after leave.

As a member of the same party she should be well worth writing to also.

As for my letter to Michael Martin I just got the stock reply from James Browne's office telling about the online consultation.

I'm waiting the reply to my next letter criticising the drafting of the consultation and other questions

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Was agreed on.Everyone in Furg could send their own group's submission as well.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

There is something that would rattle Browne and FFG in the Wexford area. If the shooting orgs came out and said they would be encouraging their members to vote for Verona Murphy TD[Ind] in Wexford. She is no shirking violet this lady. Quit school at 15, single parent at 22, bought her 1st truck at 21, founded Verona Murphy Transport a few years later went back and did her leaving and a degree in law in her 30s was president of the Irish Road hauliers Assoc, got the road tax dropped for truckers in 2015 from 9000 to 900.IOW a woman who can survive and thrive in a profession that can break the strongest of men who come from a line of truckers,and came up the hard way doing so, is someone to be admired, respected and feared. Not to mind she also doesn't give a flying FK who she offends either, even if it cost her a ticket on the FG party on her views on illegal immigration. nor is she afraid of asking awkward questions as the Dept found out there in their committee hearing on their budgets regarding FEC. The rumour mill has it that this really did put the wind up the DOJ,and this is also not over by a long shot. IOW We have a force of nature sitting right in Browne's constituency.

Of course, the MSM will label her and anyone who supports her as racist, right-wing, xenophobes etc. etc. But hey, we are branded as being anti-social and "extremist" for owning firearms already. So what's the big worry and fear? Should be water off a duck back to us by now.

Post edited by Grizzly 45 on

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Got him!

Verona is some detail!! I wish we had more Veronas in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭freddieot

Opportunity for a good campaign song there . My Verona...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BSA International

I reckon one all encompassing submission would be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭JP22

One detailed submission is always better for those receiving it and reading wise, BUT, one submission won't show the level of opposition to the FEC report and the other related issues, etc.

Multiple submissions from various organisations/individuals may not all be seen let alone studied/read by the minister and his minions, that's why our submissions should be also sent to our local/national politicians, pile the pressure on then and hopefully they will give support and raise is with their leaders.

Just my tuppence worth

So long as you pay royalty The Knack who wrote "My Shirona " in 1979 f like weird Al Yankovich does for his Paradoy "Nine Coronas"

Depends, an all-encompassing submission might miss points that by accident or design might be picked up by another submission. I noticed the NASRPC caught some points the FUNI submission missed and vice versa.By and large,any submissions I've seen so far are all 95% on the same hymn sheet on the pertinent points,just maybe tilting more or less to their particular brand of shooting disciplines.

I see Minister Browne is already starting to make up excuses in the Anglo Celt.

Maybe in his case, Billy Joel's song "Pressure" applies to him.

https://www.anglocelt.ie/2023/06/09/meetings-with-gun-groups-to-begin/

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Mississippi.

Let's hope that it's not just a "going through the motions " exercise for him

There's only one thing to be done, put even more perssure on him, through any and every legal means available.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭TheEngineer1

Hopefully our reps will be able to get the point across that when it comes to shooting sports we just want the same opportunities as our brothers and sisters in Europe!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭jb88

Lads you dont get this. Browne will meet with whomever and whatever and listen, but thats all. The DOJ has the track here and he is the train.

Just like Browne got over 30 applications by subject matter experts to join the FEC but went for two he picked already. Who disagreed anyway, but the proposal is still there.

This is just another farce on behalf of the DOJ who are getting 16m euro in our licence fees to make our lives more difficult. What did we get for that 16m absolutely nothing.

The message should be, go ahead do this and see your votes disappear and support.

This is going to be top of every shooter and gun owners list in the next general election. A large FF and FG voting group 120,000 plus all eligible to vote and are going to make that effort to vote for other parties. Thats just the licence holders. When Mrs gun owner has to listen to her husband give out along with Son and daughter listening to these issues, well that just makes for more anti FF and FG.

120,000 plus another 1 to 4 or more in some cases, because you will tell your relatives and non gun owners about this, then lets throw in a bit of housing, etc etc all the other issues of this country and there are a lot. Who is actually going to vote for these parties?

You would have to have significant problems as a human being in Ireland to consider eithier party given their record.

The shock factor isnt obvious yet.

Its two years we all have to mobilise against them.

They only have a few weeks or months to find out what damage they have done. But to look back on one piece of legislation and one TD bringing it all down, well perhaps thats what Browne wants, well FFFG are going to get it.

Plenty of failed barristers working in Mc Donalds. Its a good career these days.

• Advertisement

Its two years we all have to mobilise against them.

LESS! Elections are in 2024 probably around Nov so about 15 months plus change?

The message should be, go ahead do this and see your votes disappear and support.

Indeed, esp in his own constituency to an independent.And with a message that the pro-gun groups endorse this candidate because of her support.

Advertisement