Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify tree & what is wrong with it

Options
  • 16-06-2022 7:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

It may be variagated poplar, but not entirely sure. I have two of them, both have a large number of dead limbs ... though on some of those that appear "dead" there are one or two leaves toward the end. A third tree was completely dead last summer.

Anything I can do about it or are they done for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It does appear to be from the poplars family of trees, possibly balsam poplars 🤔, just read a little about them and they seem to be a source of food for a number of insects, catapillers etc, but the damage in your photo looks like a fungal infection,, lack of water or even, environmental damage as they seems to be in quite a bad state unfortunately. I can't make out if there's ivy growth 🤔 which may have smothered them also 🤔

I'm not experienced enough to know if severe pruning would help rescue them (not the time of year for pruning anyway) or if its too late, perhaps others with more experience will come to advise.

Wood be great to save if possible, good luck 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Variegated poplar. They're very prone to disease and dieback. A real pest of a tree. I'd whip them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭tombrown

Thanks

There was ivy on them a few years ago, but I cut it all out and the trees thrived for a while.

Its a shame as they were lovely tress, but with all the dead wood, now, they are fairly ugly. I was hoping that cutting out the deadwood might help ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You can cut them to the butt and leave some on the sucker growth but it's not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I suspect it should look like this

Populus candicans Aurora - Balm of Gilead

Always been a favorite of mine. Great fragrance off the buds as they emerge.

If you have any good clean bits then they root very easily.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There was a fad for them back in the maybe 70s or 80s? Absolutely everywhere. Nice looking but a bit of a pest for a number of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Very true, they were our biggest seller well into the nineties before they died a popularity death. Bit of an abomination really, doubt they're the biggest fans of atmospheric pollution, prone to dieback (and growing through your patio).

Actually nice to see the odd one nowadays, just for nostalgia.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, my parents bought one in the 80s and the root system on it was unreal.

Advertisement