Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fruit tree infested with aphids

Options
  • 16-06-2022 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

I have an Aprium (apricot and plum cross) tree that gives the most delicious fruit every year growing against a SW facing wall of my house. Its usually gives great crops for its size and until now has been untroubled by aphids. This year though its totally covered and while its cropping as well as ever I fear this is going to weaken it severely and it may loose a lot of fruit before ripening.

Is this a sign of nutrients running out in the soil it in, i've just watered it up until now so am wondering if that's why they are attacking it?

I have plenty of rhubarb in the garden so was thinking of making a spray with that.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to treat and prevent for next year?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Nothing to do with nutrient, generally weather related but infestations can merely be down to luck.

Three options, hose them off with a strong jet of water, apply a systemic insecticide, or just trim off the new growth back to where the fruit is forming, which is normally done in summer anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Hose them off or douse them in soapy water. It happens from time to time. No big deal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Where can you get systemic insecticide these days? I have a serious aphid problem on my artichokes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks all, the worst of it seems to be on the outsides which I've trimmed and gave the whole tree a good spray too. I noticed lots of branches also have Lecanium scale balls on them too so rubbed a lot of them off (eww). There's plenty more but will tackle the rest this weekend with gloves on, too ickky.

In terms of making homemade spray i've often seen people say use "dish soap" - would Fairy liquid do or its something more like washing up powder?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Jesus don't use washing powder, fairy liquid

• Advertisement

Haven't used one in years but assume rose clear is still systemic

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks, its mad, I've a Pluot (similar to Aprium but more plum this time than apricot and fruit are bigger) against the same wall on the other side of a large window and its totally untroubled though I'm keeping a very close eye on it. Gave it a trim today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Ladybirds, if you want to go the natural way

Not worth buying them. They'll disperse quite often without doing much good, unless enclosed in a greenhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

Great year for ladybirds in the garden here. It's usually easy enough to find some in areas of tall grass and nettles if you want to collect some for yourself rather than buying them but they will fly off if not happy where you put them. Also bird nesting boxes for the smaller birds that feed on aphids might be worth trying and adding lots of flowers to your garden to help with hover flies and parasitic wasps feeling at home and having alternative food sources may help. Here is a link to some information on potential predators to help with the problem in case you don't want to use an insecticide to destroy the ecology of your garden.

Happy gardening!

• Advertisement

+1. It's about a balance in nature. Decades ago I was demented with aphids, slugs, snails etc and stayed the roses and fruit to, unsuccessfully, eliminate them. Likewise slug pellets galore to try to save delicate plants. I gave all that up. Stopped poisoning the pests and fed the garden birds while providing nest boxes and sheltered/wild areas. I have neither aphid or slug problems any more.

Advertisement