Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange New Worlds 1x07 - 'The Serene Squall' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,236 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I found her too OTT and unbelievable to be honest, but I still enjoyed the episode.

Chapel is a definite win for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,920 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Reminded me too much of too many people which made it hard to focus. Was very camp TNG villain like Outrageous Okana or Ardra with a bit of Evil Kira and Ossyra. Speaking of which will Trek please God stop dressing all eeevvvviillll characters like dominatrix. The skin tight black one piece was a dead give away that all was not what it seemed and it's a bit cliche these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jaysus, shades of Nina Visitor's vamp performance as alt-Kira from DS9. Lots of swanning about, the performance turned up to 11 with Captain Angel. Presumably with the revelation about her husband this won't be the last we hear from her -, but small doses might be best.

That said, I enjoyed the Episode overall. A bit disposable and there were a few structural niggles but nothing excessive. I suspect the absence of any other captured crew was simply a budgeting issue, cos otherwise it looked like there were only about 10 people on the Enterprise lol.

There has been a playfulness throughout all the episodes that has made each a pleasure in their own way; here this time, it was definitely Pike's easy, smiling manipulation of the pirate's paranoia through the power of cooking, and simple psychology. His little Arr at the end, Number 1s perfectly deadpan "please stop", another small moment that has propelled this crew combo into immediate Favourites. The charisma within this crew is off the charts.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I thought it was an enjoyable episode if a little trite. Jess Bush is a great find. I don't think she did much acting before this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Didn't realise either. (Was thinking AKMC's post was an odd tangent until that was clarified). The fact that it was handled with subtlety already puts it leagues ahead of Discovery. The vulcan/human analogy reminds me more of TNG/DS9 style analogies. Specific meaning for those in the know but a broader meaning that still resonates with those not in the know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Just seen it, liked it. Chapel should have recommended to Spock to read the works of E.L. James together with T'Pring 😜

Advertisement