Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2022-23 - mod note in OP 12/03/23

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Mitrovic played for that penalty. A dive but there was minimal contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Impressed with Fulham there...still think they will go down but a decent point. Liverpool were poor surprised how leggy they looked. Mitrovic casued them trouble all game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Draw's a fair result. Great game from Mitrovic, bossing Alexander-Arnold and Van Dijk for both goals. Liverpool's attack looks very dangerous. Doesn't look like Mane's departure will make a dent in that respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Fair result in the end. No complaints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Not the best start for Liverpool but plus side is Nunez looked good. Long seasons n though

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Some amount of betting company advertising in the UK around football. It's grim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Over run with betting ads, and sky getting their hosts in the ads. Then trot out the old line " gamble responsibly .load of crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

"Its ruining peoples lives".

Yeah, and making a lot of folk a lot of money in the process.

Betting companies carry some weight now. They are the new tobacco companies. Look how many teams are sponsored by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I know and I hate it when I see JK for example doing ads for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

A great comfortable win to start the season for the toon weird to see us win a PL game so easily.

Seemingly Villa were absolutely horrible against Bournemouth that's 2 wins in 12 for Gerrard both against relegated teams a new favourite for the sack race perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Would imagine the media will protect him for a while no?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

The media would have far more of an interest protecting Lampard imo. He’s good for content given the way he speaks whereas Gerrard wouldn’t particularly offer anything like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Best thing about today was Kloppo complaining about the dry pitch while the UK hurtles towards drought territory. 🤣

To be fair I think he's actually doing a worse job than Lampard like Lampard for all his limitations has his lads playing for him Gerrard I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Yeah I think Stevie G could be in trouble , unless ther is a serious upturn in form, the owners have money and have spent big, what the odds of Poch going to Villa

Just watching Southampton on MOTD here they are going to ship some serious hammerings this year some tragic defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Where they are in the table right now, my money would be on them to finish no more than a place or two higher. They needed to replace Hasenhuttl during the summer but for some reason they’ve persisted with him, and although it’s early days, it doesn’t look smart.

Keeping him and sacking his entire coaching staff was a bold move, when a new manager with his own coaches and new ideas could’ve been just what was needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Hassenhuttle is doing a great job I thought. Yes they’ll struggle this year but that’s the fate a selling team like them. They will ultimately get caught again.

The omens weren’t good for Gerrard last season when he said something to the effect of “if these lads can’t implement my vision we will get players who can”. That’s not the way football works these days Steven. They will replace you. And it can happen in a matter of weeks if they down tools.

Gamble Responsibly. Grim indeed. Like selling guns and saying “shot responsibly”.

• Advertisement

Gerrard also threw Mings under the bus in interview after the game and its gone down like the titanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Kinda like Mings's defending then.... 😂

Gambling..... Its endemic now. The EPL and the TV companies have really gone large with them at this stage, I think more than half the clubs have bookies/websites as main shirt sponsors. Really sickening TBH, sold as a harmless persuit, a bit of craic, but ran by ruthless companies that will put you out on the street without a moments thought to get their silver. Then, if someone gets inside the game to effect a result which is inevitable, they cry foul and won't pay out.

Gerrard will be in bother if he can't stop the rot. Apparently his record at AV is nearly identical to Nevilles at Valencia when he got sacked.

He has lost more games.

Neville at Valencia - Played 28, won 10, drew 7, lost 11 for a 35% win percentage

Gerrard at Villa - Played 28, won 10, drew 5, lost 13, same win %

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

With Poch hovering out of work, will increase pressure even more, Villa have money and have spent money.

No disrespect to AV but they would be a huge step down for the likes of Poch.

• Advertisement

Now it should be clarified that most of Nevilles wins were against dross in the Cope del Rey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

They would chop your hand off for a top 4 finish

Not sure it really helps Gerrard's stats though does it? A win rate of 35% is still a win rate of 35%. That Neville's horrific record at Valencia which he gets absolutely lampooned for and rightly so, syncs up so well is just for **** n giggles.

Ah I'm not defending Gerrard at all he's been hopeless and seems to have no idea how to coach players at all and if anything he's getting worse just the comparisons with Neville are slightly unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Gerrard does have a league title in his pocket though, from his previous managers appointment. And a good record in Europe.

I'm fairly sure Villa were in the top 10 teams last season, from the moment he was appointed onwards. They definitely were for a large period of time anyways.

I don't exactly agree with his management style, it's a bit like Mourinho with publicly calling our players for not being good enough, even if it is true. He reminds me a bit of Keane and Souness who struggled with players who aren't as good as they were as players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Jasus the Martinez lads looks fair short in the middle of that UTD defence. He must have some leap on him as stats for winning headers are apparently very good...

McTominay has a very bad challenge in him. Got away with a few red cards last season too.

How is that not a red for McTominay?

RoNaLdO iS tHe PrObLeM.

Actually surprised the lino didn't flag Wellbeck in real time like he did a few mins prior.

2-0 Brighton. Hilarious.

They generally don't generally flag unless is unbelievable obviously offside and even at that they usually wait 5 minutes! It's very annoying...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Maguire getting blame for the first goal but Martinez can see it all unfold and deos nothing very poor by him

Brighton passing in behind the Man United defence very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Caicedo like a young kante

• Advertisement

He flagged Welbeck a few mins before the first goal and it wasn't obvious at all, pretty much looked level. He was very eager to stop the Brighton attack.

I know UTD are pretty woeful so it's hard to put a true judgement on all of their players but I just can't see what the Sancho hype is about....very rarely takes on and beats players and his end product is 50/50 at best!

Ronaldo saw how crap this team continues to be and yet United 'fans' had the cheek to criticize one of the club's greatest players rather than side with him against the dross and the parasite owners. Now they want him to come on and spare further embarrassment. This is poetic justice.

I didn't see that one as I'm flicking between the 2 games but it's actually very rare to see a linesman flag for anything these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Drexel_3

United revert back to their usual self after 15 min and don't bother their hole.

Fred can't believe he's been subbed.

So was ETH making a point by not picking Ronaldo? If so it’s terrible to have to go to him after less than an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Wow how is that not a peno

Absolutely stone wall

Right, that’s a penalty. No question. VAR, what are you doing?!?!??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

That's a penalty all day for Brighton. Joke decision.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement