Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2022-23 - mod note in OP 12/03/23

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

that they are no doubt. sky had an article on it a few days ago, but i cant find it now.

city were top for fouls committed, bottom in terms of fouls/yellow card ratio. the conclusion was that city foul high up the pitch where ref's dont give yellows.

i think any cynical foul should be a yellow off the bat, and the 3rd a red regardless of who commits it to stop the rotation of appointed foulers.

This is another slightly different take on things but shows how much the bigger side could when compared to other teams

https://theathletic.com/3456545/2022/07/29/most-fouls-premier-league/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

De Gea very poor for Brighton's second goal today

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I'd have more questions about why Gross was totally unmarked for the second time in 5 minutes than why De Gea pushed the ball out wide. TBH I don't know where else he could have pushed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

Oh god, another season of Danny bloody Murphy on MOTD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Oh yeah it was a penalty they got away with one there

Why aren’t they questioning VAR and those in Stockley Park who are supposed to spot those clear and obvious errors from the on field official.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

When Howard Webb is in charge of VAR and the referees in the EPL, then they are not going to improve.

They needed to bring someone outside the FA system to oversee things, but it's not going to happen in the Little Britain they exists nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭McFly85

Isn’t there supposed to be a VAR report this season for each match explaining any actions?

I’d love to hear the reason that blatant peno was ignored by VAR.

There should be a link to the referee/VAR discussions broadcast. Ideally in real time, but at the very least after the fact, either at half/full time or soon afterwards.

The tv/radio commentators can hear it, why not everyone else? Would give clarity in how and why decisions are made. What have they to hide?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yeah, to be fair there are a few different areas to criticize DDG these days, but he shouldn't really be blamed here. He did push that shot as far away from the danger area as best he could.

I only watched around 30 mins of the first half but I could see Brighton passing the ball into space behind the full backs and centre backs so often. And getting joy from it. That's where the ire should be IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

That England golden generation team that nearly got to WC final in 2018 - What happened to so many of them that seam to just lose interest and steal a wage now - Maguire, Lingard, Rashford, Ali, Rose and a few others - did excess money and the English media fame go ther head ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

they need to remove the clear and obvious aspect of var.

their remit should be simple....was it a foul or not?

if there is any subjectivity, call over the ref and have an open dialogue like rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

VAR still an absolute farce I didn't think I'd see a more obvious peno not given than the 2 glaring fouls on jacob Murphy v Chelsea last season but that Brighton one today was unreal such a blatant peno. On the rest of the game Man Utd are still an absolute farce defensively many of those players still don't give a sh1t Eriksen a token effort after giving ball away for first goal and dalot jogging back for second goal.

On city absolutely incredible blew west ham away in second gear Haaland will score 30 plus if he stays fit. On Leicester I've watched fofana a few times looks bang average to me doesn't look the first cousin of an 80 million quid defender.

What would anyone expect from Paul tierney from Manchester, he’s a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The conspiracy theory stuff always lightens the mood at least

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Maybe I need to find a way to laugh at it, kinda depresses me that people actually think like this, it's extremely sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

He now has a number of slow paced players at his disposal like Maguire, McTominay, Shaw, Eriksen, Ronaldo, Fernandes, Fred and Varane, most of whom are first choice starters. So that will dictate his tactical approach for this season at least. Slow build up, possession based like Van Gal.

Aston Villa has a European Cup in it's trophy cabinet. Poch does not.

I doubt he will have 1 tactical approach for the season, I'm sure we will see different things in different games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I don't think the Tierney stuff is a conspiracy. But he does seem to just not be very good at his job, whether that's on VAR, or in the middle of the pitch. He's made a lot of big errors over the past 2 or so years, more-so than most. He's also one of the very few for whom the PGMOL have had to come out and publicly apologise about.

But bad as Tierney was to not see the obvious barge, John Brooks on VAR was even more to blame for not correcting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The FA really don't help do they ,why put someone from Manchester in charge of a United game, Just avoid it if you can,

Iv no idea how anyone can look at the reply & not give the penalty yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭doc_17

Really looking forward to Spurs v Chelsea on Sunday. If Spurs are to be considered contenders they’d be expected to start winning some of these big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Just think of it like flat earthers? Of course it is really sad if you think of it that these people genuinely think this way, but don't go too deep on it and just focus on the absurdity of it and it definitely helps me lighten after another **** weekend of United games :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

is it me or do the crises arrive earlier and earlier ever year for managers? Gerrard loses tomorrow and he’s in bother I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

If Tyrone Mings is playing for Villa, Gerrard will be sacked in no time, it’s incredible just how useless he is.

A big number of PL players nominated for the Ballon d'Or.

TAA

Luis Diaz

Mo Salah

Fabinho

Darwin Nunez

Cancelo

Haaland

Bernardo Silva

Mahrez

KDB

Foden

Ronaldo

Son

Kane

Mane & Rudiger were also nominated, but don't still play in the PL. There were a couple of glaring omissions in the list IMO, including Rodri & Allison. Messi not on the list either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Missed that, thanks

Edit: Alisson is nominated for the GK award, not the actual Ballon d'Or.

Post edited by Fitz* on

Mings starts for Villa so I guess he looked Gerrard in the eyes showed him he was ready to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

I wonder if Gerrard will be the 1st PL manager sacked this season.

I'd say he's hoping his team doesn't slip today...

Mind you this Everton team are a good team to be facing when you need a positive result.

• Advertisement

Everton aren’t even trying to regain possession and them a goal down. Awful team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Whatever happens with Gerrard and Villa this season Kamara is looking like a great bit of business from them..

Mings is a shocking player, zero presence, no ability to concentrate. Beaten there a couple of minutes ago to a routine header that should have led to an Everton goal.

Gerrard seems to be in trouble there, albeit a win here will lift the pressure somewhat, but if he's hanging his hat on the likes of Mings to keep him in a job he's fvcked.

Everton are going down if they don’t get rid of Lampard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He's a crap manager who gets away with it and will always get away with it as he has loads of mates in the studios who won't ever properly criticize him.

He throws his players under the bus constantly and never seems to acknowledge his tactical shortsightedness. He can make teams okay to watch but they can never defend and for a midfielder as good as he was, can't set one up.

English Ole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He wasn't very good last week and that's the issue. He could well be one of these sometimes brilliant sometimes terrible type players and not the cinsidten 7/8 out of 10 performers that teams at the top really need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think Frank is a bluffer but would it make any difference? The squad is dreadful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

True, but he's a young player playing his first game in the EPL coming front the French League, naturally it's going to take a few games to get up to speed but I like what I seen from him today. Composed on the ball and can read the danger quickly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

What did Messi do to be considered the best player last season .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Excellent link up play from Haaland to assist Gundogan, which is even more concerning than him scoring himself. I didn’t think he’d make City a stronger team but I’m beginning to think I was very wrong about that.

Cracker of a goal from Jesus to Arsenal 1 up

The Arsenal forwards making Fofana look like he is worth £9m not £90m.

Jesus with his second for Arsenal.

Rodgers could be the first manager to go this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Jesus heading for another hattrick.

Vardy the master at winning penalties.

Never a penalty.

Yellow card for diving now should be given.

• Advertisement

OG from Saliba to make it 2-1

Ward with a howler and drops the ball to Xhaka who makes it 3-1

Jesus clearly fouled and that was a stonewall penalty not given.

That was the exact same as VVD on Mitrovic last week.

Not overturned by VAR.

This Man City game is awful. City are a great team, but they are dire to watch.

Bazunu is going to concede 100 goals this season if he remains in goal for this Southampton team they just cannont defend.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement