Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football Finances and Financial Fair Play in European Football - 2022

• 16-06-2022 6:18pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Following on from discussion in multiple threads and the unusual step of La Liga writing to UEFA this thread is for discussion of Financial Fair play and related items.

Mod: Threads such as the Summer Transfer Thread should be used to discuss transfers rather than wider issues such as how clubs are financed.

Post edited by DM_7 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,771 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Woody Harrelson works for la Liga?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,722 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Pots and kettles spring to mind. La Liga should take a look inwards at how certain clubs spent more money than they could afford for the last decade or two. Though, they also have a point. The whole point of FFP now seems to be to make money for the accountants and lawyers to find loopholes and exotic ways to circumvent the application of the rules while appearing to comply (superficially).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Madrid have been getting government money for decades and Barcelona have clearly taken the p*ss out of FFP for years or they would not have ended up in such a mess.

Whatever your views of FFP or state-sponsored clubs, La Liga are obviously just trying to deflect blame, and Tebas is an incompetent idiot who can't face the fact that the Premier League has basically overtaken La Liga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

To be fair, La Liga have taken a much harder stance on spending recently. They’re actually trying to get things in order, like the super-low salary cap imposed on Barca to force them into cleaning house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It does feel like throwing the toys out of the pram on La Liga's part but there is a point in all the whingeing.

It does need to be the case that clubs legitimately live within their means, though I doubt Madrid or Barca are the best examples of that.

Elite football is so disconnected from the real world these days that it's harder and harder for me to see it as anything other than a sprawling television series. Climate change is a big concern right now for example and clubs talk up a big a gamebut in recent years Man U (to Leicester) and Madrid (to Zaragoza) have flown short distances for league games so it rings hollow.

Despite all the chat when the Super League talk came out, fans are expendable. Just look at how football was able to resume in Covid times. Sure, there was no atmosphere but elite level football was able to continue, players were able to travel around the world while we were stuck indoors.

So I don't particularly have any sympathy for companies living.in a fantasy world that deal with obscene amounts of money when they complain about bigger versions of the same thing.

However, within the context of the debate, there is a point abiut the financial unsustainability of it. Real action needs to be taken but any attempt so far has been futile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Now I'm no accountant or maths genius but this thread would seem to suggest that Man City's spending under Guardiola compared to Liverpool with Klopp hasn't been quite as big a gap as some on here would have you believe. Very interesting thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,722 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Did you read the thread? The gap is massive and then they tried to find some other angles to look at it to try and justify what City are spending. Ultimately it all comes back to one thing - are they self-sustainable business models or just some plaything for a wealthy tycoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

La Liga are absolutely hilarious they've completely destroyed their own league by how they divide up their TV money to the advantage of Barca and Madrid and now because they can't buy the world's best players anymore this whingefest begins.

Does anyone actually believe that if Saudi or Qatar or whoever came in with big money for a LaLiga club that they wouldn't allow it? Of course they would! This is the same La Liga whose supercup final was played in Riyadh ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Noon are a PIF backed company who have an Amazon-like e-commerce business. Some big monetary amounts mentioned in the below article.

I wonder how much this deal will be worth? Will it be under top-market value which would be expected, or above-market value in an inflated deal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

City's and Newcastles accountants when the powers that be come knocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

7.5 million a year about time the club started to regain its rightful income from sponsorship given that it spent 14 years being used as free advertising for sports direct and consequently lagged behind all its competitors in commercial revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭McFly85

whatever you think about La Ligas complaint at least they’re implementing proactive financial limits - would love to see a similar structure across all major leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I don't think blindly following a model that is designed to keep the top two clubs ahead of the rest is a good way forward for any league, major or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭trashcan

What do people make of what Barcelona are up to recently, trying to force under contract players out and take pay cuts, while simultaneously signing new players and presumably outbidding other clubs in wages and transfer fees. I think it’s pretty disgusting myself, and I say that as someone who would have had a fondness for Barcelona and their great teams. They should be severely punished for this in my view. Entirely correct that they shouldn’t be allowed register new players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

That's nothing. They're a house of cards in the brink of collapse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Complete train wreck of a club.

It's like they believe that their transactions don't need to make financial sense. (Problem is they could prove to be right)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think when it comes to Barca going bust, it's a matter of 'when' rather than 'will they'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Advertisement