Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home charge point rental

• 16-06-2022 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭

I’m sure if this was feasible somebody would have come up with it already but I’ve got a bit of a stressful journey coming up and the range anxiety is going to be maxxed out!! When planning my route / charges it got me thinking, it would be handy if people with home charge points could hire them out overnight. Probably an insurance nightmare but I’d be prepared to let a car park on my driveway and charge their car overnight for a small fee (€25?!!) A bit like Airbnb for car chargers! Go easy on me!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

It's not the craziest idea and I think Bonnet in the UK is looking into possibly doing something like that - that private citizens could add their charge points to their system.

That being said, I'm sure it would be a tax and insurance nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,743 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,213 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There would have to be waivers signed, maybe on both sides?

Theft of car?

Damage to car?

Who would be liable?

It's a great idea and would work 99% of the time without issue, but its the 1% of times you'd have to plan for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Alkers

Would there? There's no issues in shopping centre car parks?

I have had our driveway on parkpnp for a few years (for free) as we live beside a hospital. I would never have thought to be seeking a waiver from people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

You can add your home to plugshare app. If you put marker away from your home a bit and leave contact details then people need to contact you to find and use charger so at least you have contact details. Main issue would be someone abandoning car and going away blocking your car in, or blocking the charger from your use. Really we just needs loads more public chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

Your home insurance generally covers visitors, but doesn't cover the commercial use of the property. My home insurance explicitly excludes cover for any liabilities arising from any business, profession or trade. It would be hard to argue that a person is a visitor and that the liability is due to a business if they are paying you to use your driveway. Shopping centre car parks have public liability insurance that covers the commercial use of the property. I don't know how an insurance company would look at it if you are routinely letting members of the public use your driveway, but not charging for it.

Advertisement