Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toyota Corona Seat Belt Repair.

• 17-06-2022 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭

I've recently purchased a 1993 Japanese import Toyota Corona Exiv. I was looking over it before it went down for an NCT and for some reason the seat belts won't lock when jerked. The retractors seem to be working in so far as they're taking the belt back into the reel but fail to stop the belt when pulled quickly. All the belts have the same issue.

Can anyone recommend somewhere that might be able to repair the belts, preferably somewhere in Ireland. If not maybe in the UK.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

Many belts like this work by a ball bearing in the reel mechanism rolling forward under stopping (crashing) conditions. Pulling them sharply also moves the bearing and locks the mechanism.

You might try pulling the belts out when braking or parked facing downhill on a steep hill, if you live near someplace suitable.

If the belts still don't lock, then you might unbolt the reels from the car body and see if they will lock (if they're working properly, they will constantly lock unless mounted at exactly the correct angle).

If they still won't lock, all the bearings may be jammed with dirt, or dried-up oil, etc. If you can determine exactly where the bearing is located in each reel, and work out if it is clean/needs cleaning, you may be able to get the belts working properly again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Thanks for your reply. I removed all the belts yesterday morning and it seems to have rectified the problem. I think it was the case that the bearings hadn't moved in a while, a good shaking done the trick. All the belts are now locking under braking.

Advertisement