Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Open - Can Rory get back on the Major trail?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

Considering Shane Lowry literally won the open in 2019 this seems pretty stupid.of course its possible you will be correct , but Rory isnt winning us any majors .Are you a Lowry basher??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm just confused why when Rory doesn't win, he's a bottler, though when everyone else doesn't, they're not, or not good enough, or thems the breaks.

He should have more majors, but that's not because he's a bottler.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

I thought Rory played very well to get in top 5

He wasn't giving himself enough realistic birdie chances, for once it was more long game than short which caught him. Holed great putts for pars. In past I reckon he'd have thrown in towel early in weekend but showed good fight and attitude to grind out a top 5

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What an absurd post.

Lowry won one recently, and considering his age Mcilroy could be around for another 20 yrs before he is “gone”. so you are saying there won’t be another Irish winner before 2063?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

I never said that it was false. But the gleeful way in which it was said was extremely childish.

• Advertisement

I think he has proven over the last 8 years that he doesnt have the bottle for majors , albeit id rank this one as one of his best performances since winning. He really dug in. How many times recently did he look nervous and shoot **** on day one and then shoot the lights out on day two? Or has very poor rounds when he looks like he could win? He still wins gold competitions but for me , i dont understand how hes the biggest golfer in the world at all. Not his fault of course.

Fair enough , id be inclined to agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,009 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Well yeah might have a squeak on a links course, take lowry for example, great player, one in a generation player, 1 win in America in 13 years as a pro! Mcllroy being in contention week in week out is taken for granted.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

How is he one in a generation if theres two of them haha. He is 24 in the world , has finished 3rd in the masters , 4th in PGA and 2nd in US open. More than a squeak and i would bet he will win another before Rory or they both will win none.

I hope you're right but the point was about Mcllroy.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

We all know McIlroys biggest challenge to overcome is himself. He’s got the shots and the game, everyone knows he has. There is something holding him back and he’s not a bottler, to even suggest a fella with the number of wins he has is a bottler is just absurd.

Another problem Mcilroy has is there will continue to be players of Zalatoris and Scheffler’s quality churned out by the college system and Korn Ferry each year. These guys have no fear of anyone and the fields for these events just get stronger and stronger each time. No player can afford not to have their A game for 72 holes to win a major these days whereas before some players might have got away with it. Can Mcilory string 72 holes together? At the moment, no he can’t and he hasn’t done it for a long time in the majors. That’s not a dig at him, not many players can do it and that’s why these events are so coveted.

I’ve repeatedly said it but the media and in particular Sky Sports aren’t helping Mcilroy. Dougherty, Coltart and Radar Riley seem to think Mcilroy should be winning the four majors every year the way they go on. The amount of pressure he puts himself under is one thing but the constant pressure coming from the broadcasters and interviewers surely will have an affect as well.

Ah fair enough , look i hope they both can bring us more success. Just a bit sick of the hype around Rory , its been goin on too long

Your first paragrah makes absolutely no sense whatsover. His biggest challenge is to overcome himself and that hes not a bottler? This makes zero sense. The term bottler is referring to a mentality weakness. You have just said he has that weakness.

I completly agree though with your points on the media , its not Rorys fault but really just sick of the constant hype around at every major , when lets face it , hes not going to win it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He has 4 majors so you're already wrong. In that time he's come 2nd and top 5 a fair few times, and top 10d more. To claim it's a lack of bottle is just being nothing more than a WUM

A bottler is someone like Greg Norman who time and time again put himself in winning positions and blew 54 hole leads of sometimes 5+ shots on the final day of a major. Has Mcilroy ever done that? No he hasn’t. Well maybe 2011 in the Masters but he was 21 and I’d forgive him that one. A bottler is someone that repeatedly loses from winnable positions, Mcilroy hasn’t done that.

Mental fragilities over 72 holes is totally different from blowing up on the back 9 on a Sunday. There’s no comparison between the two. The term “bottler” is such a lazy term anyway and is used by people who watch the majors and expect Mcilory to lead from pillar to post and win by 10 shots. If he doesn’t do that, no golfer does, then he’s a bottler. It’s total nonsense and it’s spouted by people who have little or no understanding of the game or what it takes for a golfer to put themselves in the frame to contend in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,507 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He's been top ten, top five twice, in four of the last five majors. If he keeps that up he's going to win at some stage.

Would you absolutely cop on with that hyperbolic nonsense. If he doesnt win by 10 shots? He hasnt won a major in 8 YEARS .a bottler is someone who doesnt win when he has the talent to win. He is a bottler.

8 years ago. None during what everyone would say is a golfers prime. Of course hes a bottler.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Struggling to see what's hyperbolic about that post.

• Advertisement

I refused to believe you actually follow the game of golf if you seriously think Mcilroy is a bottler because he hasn’t won a major in 8 years.

Lowry has the talent to win, is he a bottler to?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Your struggling to see whats hyperbolic about him saying people expect him to win by 10 shots? He hasnt won in 8 years.

I follow golf, im not an expert , follow it and play off 16. Posters on here admit he has a mentally frailty with regard to majors. That to me is a bottler. Unable to win events cos of your mind is bottling something. Maybe we dont agree on the definition of a bottler and thats fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Why does Rory being the biggest draw in golf offend you so much?

The golf swing is fundamental to golf and Rory has the prettiest, most aesthetically pleasing golf swing. This gives him an aura, especially when he's confident and really going after it.

The other guys are good golfers but don't exude a specialness or uniqueness that a Rory or a Tiger or even a Phil possess.

Scottie's a great player, but his dancing feet don't quite have the same allure. Spieth's swing is quite perfunctory, Rahm's truncated and so on and so on.

Constantly winning majors certainly gives off a mystique and an aura, but no one is currently able to separate themselves in that way, so we're left with Rory and his picture perfect swing.

It doesnt offend me in anyway. As i said previously i got sucked in here cos someone said "naysayers coming in already" what on earth is wrong with being a naysayer about the most over hyped sportsperson in the world? His swing haha , loads have great swings , its also subjective.

What you’re saying is nonsense. So you’re telling me that if I said to you last Thursday morning before a ball was struck that McIlory wouldn’t win the us open you’d turn around and call him a bottler? 100% we don’t agree on what constitutes a bottler.

Dustin Johnson - blew multiple majors on the final day and others on the final couple of holes. I would call him a bottler.

Greg Norman - the phrase bottler was invented for him. I’m not sure of the exact number of final day collapses but there are many.

Lee Westwood - an underrated bottler. Had so many chances to win majors if he pushed on. He waited for the major to come to him and it doesn’t happen like that, they need to be earned. When the pressure came on he wet himself and settled for second.

Colin Montgomery - middle of the fairway in the 2006 us open and needed to hit the green with a 7 iron and he’d have won. He made 6 from 170 yards and blew his last chance at a major.

The above are what you call bottlers. McIlroy certainly isn’t a bottler because he’s never blown a big lead. He collapsed in 2011 after making one bad swing in 62 holes and he was a kid, his mind went completely. It never happened him again from that position in any tournament never mind a major. I’m not McIlroy’s biggest fan but this lazy nonsense people talk aggravates me. “He’s a bottler because he didn’t win the US Open”. yeah good one 🙄

The only major I can think of that Mcilroy really should have won was the 2018 masters. He got outfoxed by Patrick Reed who played brilliant golf that week. But Mcilroy didn’t bottle it, he just didn’t play well enough on the final day to win it. There’s a massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Experience of stupid arguments I suppose that means...

• Advertisement

Christ man you literally cant converse without being hyperbolic- Rory is not a bottler because he didnt win this US open NOBODY said that. Maybe if you actually read peoples posts it would aggravate you less. He is a bottler for not winning a major in 8 years considering his extreme talent. All the others you have mentioned are extreme bottlers , no difference of opinion there.

Advertisement