Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right to a house?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Feel free to return and answer the question I posed you, like a good lad. It seems you vanished in quite a hurry when you couldnt work out that the 1st of April 2022 is just 12 months after the 1st of April 2023. In your own time.

Returning to the point of this thread - the solution being for working class people to give up their jobs, and relocate to another part of the country where they "may", yes "may" be better off. Right, that surely sounds good enough for all the "poor me knobs" as you've so eloquently put it, as usual displaying your incredible intellect and strong vocabulary.

Who works in those jobs then? Would you mind going through the implications of the skills shortage that will take place when your proposed plan of mass migration both to neglected rural Ireland and abroad takes place? I'd be particularly interested to hear the consequences, taking into account the fact that there is an existing labour shortage in the hospitality and retail sector due to low pay relative to accomodation costs. Adding a further skills shortage in areas such as tech, pharma and finance would have probably seemed like the most stupid thing for anybody to say on boards.ie in a while, but I'm interested to see the thought behind it.

Very interested to also hear about your opinions on the government receiving no return on investment for the education of our "poor me knobs", who will under your advice, take their skills elsewhere. Seems quite impractical to be encouraging a system where the government is essentially educating people for other countries to benefit from, again I'd be interested to hear your extremely limited, I mean definitely intelligent, thoughts on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

• Registered Users Posts: 19,315 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yeah but sooner or later it balances out.

Well not necessarily. I find that I happen to be running about 5 years behind what would have been optimum for me in terms of having money to buy things versus them being on sale for a good price. I finished full time education around the time of the recession and I went abroad. After a couple of years, a property back home that I would have been interested in went up for sale. At the time I would have had about one-third of the price in savings but it wasn't feasible for me to finance the rest given I was working abroad and would have been taking on some FX risk as well as the issue of trying to get a loan.

A year or two ago a very similar property went up for sale but I did not buy it because I thought it was a bit overpriced given uncertainty at that time. It was over a third more than the previously mentioned property. The thing is that I actually more or less had the cash by then to buy the higher priced property. I would have had to finance a bit. The cash I had at that time would have covered all costs of the earlier one. Had I been 5 years ahead in my timeline of working etc, I likely would have bought the first property. That's not wishful thinking - I looked at it at the time and concluded it would be a good buy. And taking it forward to today, I'd have the cash today to buy the higher priced property with no financing! But it's not for sale at the minute .... and if it was, it might have jumped ahead of me again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

People should have a right to a roof over their head, but if you contribute nothing to society it should be of minimum spec in an area that doesn't displace workers and taxpayers from the limited housing stock.

Maybe create kibbutz style compounds in desolated areas.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

In the current climate, it is absolutely not always possible to get what you want. Especially if you're already working as many hours as is humanly possible just to pay your rent. Nobody, literally nobody, should be entitled to a free house (I presume we're including people who inherit one, right?), but everyone should be entitled to an affordable home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Obviously people should be able to inherit a house, free? I think they should yes.

its the people who think the government should just provide them with housing that I cant understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

So it's fine for someone to get a house for free, but only if it's by accident of having been born to someone who could afford one?

There's an inconsistency there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭corner of hells

No way , a good kick up the hole would solve a lot of people's mental health issues.

I work with people experiencing homeless and issues relating to mental health. A good kick in the arse should solve nearly everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

And yet the price of lumber should be dropping right ? Where does this 40 per cent material increase come from.

Ate you getting a bit confused ?

You gone from talking about people with mental ill health to talking about addicts and 'ner do wells suggesting the army as a way of resolving their issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Kurooi

I sympathise, this idea of entitlement to housing is only popular because people find themselves at the mercy of the market, and they're losing hard.They wouldn't be so obsessed with property if there was a functional rental market, and if they knew that if they ever fall on hard times they will receive help.

A house is a safety net, having one makes you immune to the whims of the market, or whims of welfare policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

Not to worry! SF will be in power from next election and they apparently have all the answers! Houses for all , big increases in SW payments, put it all on the tab!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,390 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Money will be no object.

Of course there will be a moment like in the last election during a TV debate where Pearse Doherty will be asked where they will get the money to pay for all the promises they make without increasing taxes, and the answer will be the same, I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

That's your opinion my friend has 2 apartments 12 years old, I spent a week there, I could hear no sound from above, to the right and the left, there's some slight traffic noise if you are in the bedroom near the windows. At rush hour The problem is there's no inspections Re sound of apartments, every building is different , re insulation sound quality

You might as well say everyone who drives an electric car is a millionaire tech bro

The solution is to provide more housing in towns city's we need 20k units built every year right now there's maybe 5k units being built

Corporations are buying houses to rent out or provide space for workers also at any time there's 1000, s of empty council units empty awaiting refurbishment

In the midst of inflation high energy costs supply side crisis i see no sign of the situation being better in 5 years from now

My friend rented out rooms for 2 years for 80 euro a week and he had good tenants the problem is house prices have gone up 300 per cent in the past 5 years

No one buys houses to leave them empty in Ireland

there's loads of empty office space because people are now working from home

• Registered Users Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He was but Michael D was also against direct provision, against inward migration caps, wanting solidarity with Ukrainian refugees, wanting social housing to apply to EU citizens.

That's all well and good but pretending it is anything but petrol on the housing shortage fire is maddening.

He takes an extreme free market position on things driving the housing crisis but talks about the right to housing.

He is a bit of a hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭GSBellew

If you are in your forties now, then you were in your twenties in the Celtic tiger days, the days of the 100% or more Mortgage etc.

40 - 20 in 2002

41 - 20 in 2001

42 - 20 in 2000

43 - 20 in 1999

44 - 20 in 1998

etc

Someone who was 20 in 2002 even allowing several years for college could have been in a position to look at buying just before the crash.

I'm in my early to mid 40's, we bought in 04 when I was mid 20's, people thought we were crazy, we sacrificed anything we didn't need to survive, our friends traveled the world, we couldn't afford a TV for the first few years, didn't have one until a friend at work gave us one a few years later.

I know plenty of people my age now, who spent their 20's enjoying themselves but complain about the difficulties they face buying a house, they all could have done the same, but chose a different path.

I think people in general want everything, they want the home, but not the sacrifice buying one entails.

• Advertisement

Housing is as basic as food, shelter, clothing. To live with dignity, not always to compromise giving up your space, house shares, room shares etc. Issues with house mates, with landlords etc. The older generation dont give a sh*t, they have their own house most likely bought when it was cheap, since the 90's houses have 10x in price. Anyway so we are looking at houses the wrong way, looking at it as a luxury, an asset, a store of value, it has been internationalised and can be bought by anyone with enough dough. Where instead it should be a basic neccessity available to everyone on the island without having to give up their dignity, unfortunately its the downside of an international globlaised capitalist society, you are but a number, a worker drone, a cog in the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Most people are not homeless the problem is people under 30 are living at home with parents or else maybe paying high rents to live in a basic flat or share a house . The government already provide social housing to people on lower incomes and help for first time buyers. If we want to change the present system we would need to switch over to a Sweden type high tax system, I don't think most people would vote for this , we have always had an open economy with a welfare system in place , it sort of worked until about 5 years ago when house prices went up quickly leaving most of gen z stuck in the rental sector no one was complaining in 2000 when there was a housing boom and it was easy to get a mortgage even if you just worked in Tesco or aldi

House prices are falling in America since the fed raised interest rates the Irish economy has changed since the 80s, going in boom bust cycles its impossible to tell what the next 5 years will bring except it looks as if inflation will continue for some time

The government seems to like to announce plans to build 1000s of House, s while relying on the private sector to fix the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭oceanman

or....we could just vote in the same shower of wasters we have now for another five years...that would solve everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's like asking to choose between a noose or an anchor...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭pgj2015

It is not an accident, their family or someone connected to them chose to give them a house. It isn't costing the government anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

• Registered Users Posts: 14,390 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What a pile of self-pitying crap.

Food and clothing may be “basic”, but you have no right to them and no one is responsible for giving you the type you want, when you want it, at the price you want to pay for it.

The older generation do give a shite as our kids are now the ones trying to buy houses, but whinging about how hard-done-by you feel and blaming the Government/society doesn’t get you the house in the location/price you want. We are all cogs in the wheel, few of us are so special that we stand out from everyone else and deserve special treatment.

House prices are certainly higher today, but in the 90s wages were lower, unemployment higher, interest rates over the past few yrs are at historical low so rates were higher in the 90s etc. So stop feeling sorry for yourself, get off your hole and make your own opportunities, if it wasn’t happening here in the 90s, people looked abroad for them.

Prices were expensive relative to wages, even in the 90’s. https://www.rte.ie/archives/2019/0522/1051043-soaring-house-prices/

Sorry TheTruth, this bloody screen jumping meant I accidentally clicked on your post when it jumped, now I can’t remove it.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

Following that logic to its conclusion, does it require:

a) that people own the house they are housed in?

b) that the house should be exactly where they want to live?

c) that the house should meet anything but their basic needs?

Bear in mind that this 'free' housing will be paid for by the work of other people.

Edit: I don't mean to put words in your mouth, I know how annoying that can be. I'm really just raising the three questions as a thought experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

The real beauty of this is everyone complaining about this is paying tax just to know that some lad is sesh'in it up everyday down in paddy powers not doing a tap and strolling home to live rent free and there is nothing you can do about it you are literally paying him whether you like it or not. You better get working OP cause his not happy in his current 300k house and is going to put in a complaint and get moved to a span new one.

You have no right to stop paying for him if you want to work in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Will you give up your job and give it to someone else so that they too can afford to buy a house?

Advertisement