Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Javascript, CSS or C# .... ?

Options
  • 17-06-2022 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Establishing proficiency in some web and software coding. Which to start off with?

freecodecamp dot org came recommended. I've been advised to take one and establish proficiency before moving to another;

As oppose to learning two simultaneously.

Pointers?

History is one module of Fortan, one module of C++ in university and some javascript on codeacademy a while back (their course was very short/limited).

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

One of the first things I want do is learn site development, specifically for the platform Xenforo.

I understand this is based on PHP, using also javascript, CSS and HTML.

4 different languages to code a site in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Talisman

PHP executes on the server. It's usually used to retrieve data from a database and populate HTML templates with the content. It can also be used to capture data from the web browser.

HTML is the markup language used to present the content structure in a web browser.

CSS is used to style the HTML content.

JavaScript adds interactivity to the content in the web browser.

To code a completely functional site, is it necessary to learn them all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Talisman

You need to decide for yourself what specifically you are interested in doing.

If you want to learn about web development then you should start with the fundamentals. HTML is child friendly and anyone can learn the basics in a matter of hours. Afterwards learn to use CSS to style the HTML, again you could learn the basics in a few hours. Take a look at the HTML and CSS courses on the likes of Codecademy.com, you'd cover the material in a weekend if you have the time to spare.

Knowing these fundamentals will give you a basis for understanding web templates.

You have mentioned Xenforo which is a commercial community software. I'm not familiar with it and can't advise on what is involved in customising or developing add-ons for it but you could ask their community.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Advertisement

Are you a PC or MAC user?

If a Mac OS User, then if you have'nt done so already, get XCode straightaway. Going for web development, focus on Javascript, CSS and HTML. Get familiar with HTML first maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I'd highly recommend looking at TheOdinProject. Free, and covers HTML, CSS, JS and then you either choose Node or RubyOnRails

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Absolutely. In addition, you should be fairly proficient in SQL and be mindful of the whole concept of web security, SSL and Penetration Testing.

Oh, and there's that nasty GDPR thing too...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 StudyLover

It's like a website design and hosting medium akin to Vbulletin or even Vanilla? Isn't that what this site is hosted on?

• Advertisement

• If a website were a building, HTML is the foundation, CSS the exterior & design above ground, and JavaScript the wiring and plumbing that makes the building function as a usable space. Information Security is the installation of locks, shutters and burglar alarm You need all these for any useful interactive website.

Personally, as an artist, I love CSS, it’s like painting but done with fairly simple specifications.

Advertisement