Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the role of a SF online supporter?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So we have now shifted topic to 'crime and omerta along the border'? Yeh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,641 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Not at all, we are merely comparing the role of an SF online supporter to the general attitude of

those involved in lawlessness in border areas.

Deny, deflect, admit nothing…plenty of doctorates and consultants amongst SF ranks

People involved in lawlessness elsewhere are open and transparent about what they do? Yeh?

You see it is easy to use the word 'omerta' and 'bandit country' etc if your agenda is to generalise/stereotype.

But I could do that about people who live in areas where crime is prevalent - 'ah look at them, all staying stum...omerta I tells ya!'

But the fact is, crime happens invariably in secret and most people haven't a foggiest about who is doing what. Would you agree....or is it just one community you want to generalise about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

It's like dealing with Putin, he knows he's lying, we know he's lying, he knows we know he's lying yet he keeps on lying.

If that's directed at me...I haven't actually been asked anything. Bizarre I know, but apparently I am lying.😁

• Advertisement

Incidentally I asked the same question on r/ireland over on Reddit, they nearly shat the bed for having the temerity to question the online barmy army. The post was downvoted out of existence within 15 minutes, swarms of junior provos descended on it ridiculing the notion that the Link was anything other than an online registration for the Shinner newsletter notwithstanding the fact I posted a screenshot of the email they send you when you sign up. It was a completely coordinated effort.

This is a tad strange. With no back up included.

What was it you were expecting when you 'signed up'? And what is 'sinister' or untoward about the email they sent you back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

As I said, some posters are choosing to answer by example the question posed in the thread title.

Ah diddums, other posters won't agree with my conspiracy theories so they are part of my conspiracy theory too?

This looks to me like an open and transparent attempt to recruit online canvassers for the party. With a requirement to join the party.

Can you point to it being anything else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd say you're right on McGuinness. He was at least open about his terrorist activities unlike Mr "I've never been a member of the IRA" Adams 🙄 The lack of a paedo brother couldn't have hurt either...

Some of the unknowns elected in 2020 who've become known since won't be re-elected but tbh, it wouldn't surprise me to see some of them asked to stand aside for less controversial SF candidates (i.e. new unknowns). There's only so much of the left that Sinn Fein can get too: it's not just centrist / right-of-centre voters who still revile them for their terrorism and / or can see their rhetoric for what it is when they make impossible electoral promises and commit to policy that flies in the face of what their Northern Irish politicians have actually done with power...

Quite simply, Sinn Fein have a credibility problem and in a nation that has, for all it's faults, a fairly decent education system, there's only so many undereducated fools that they can convince otherwise. The role of the online supporter is to parrot their propaganda and deflect from the valid criticisms of their members and policies but, again, more of the electorate than not can see through their nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭kazamo

The troubling part of 2020 was the number of unknowns they managed to get elected.

True, some won’t be re elected but political parties always went after known people such as ex GAA players or well known local people or local county counsellors from their own party and that was the path to election success. SF managed to elect nobodies and they didn’t scrape in as a lot of them topped the poll.

Out of nowhere they managed to get a quota in constituencies where in the past, they struggled to get 1k in first preferences. They don’t behave like a party, more like a cult. The name of the TD is irrelevant, the party badge is all that’s relevant. So swapping in and out names for the next election is less relevant. Could any of us name even 8 SF TD’s, (I certainly would struggle and would probably include a couple of loudmouths in People Before Profit by mistake 😂 😂)

Occasionally in my workplace, politics is brought up which like what football team you support, , it never ends well. What I have noticed is that younger generations don’t care about SF’s murky past and leprechaun economics, they just want someone different in government.

SF have challenges but they are contenders for future governments which they were certainly not before. Yes they will promise us the sun moon and stars but they wouldn’t be the first party to do that.

I, like you, never want them in power, but they are a lot closer to making it a reality than I would like.

If true, the activist should be thrown out of the party and face jail time if appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭maccored

blah blah Sinn Fein blah blah IRA blah blah whats an online supporter blah blah

such fascination with a party you all claim to hate. Great for SF's popularity mind you, but terribly boring to be reading so many threads of waffle and bullshit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭mikemac2

To be a member is the exact same as any party. You sign up online and in a few days an organiser will contact you to verify you are a real person. I guess you could skip the online part and just walk into a constituency office too.

Actually I did all this and signed up as a member. Not entirely sure why I did it, I voted once in my life

You are put on a mailing list and get the usual "enter our annual draw" and news updates. You get a subscription to An Phoblacht. Some of the emails can be interesting like there are teenagers who practice very hard and have a flute band and go to marches, good for them

You get a phone call inviting you to the Ard Fheis, I never went once

If you are abroad you are not allowed to be a member so it's divided into USA or rest of world. For rest of world the price goes from 10 euro to 50 euro as clearly emigrants are more wealthy hmmm. 🧐You get a few postcards, glossy pieces of paper like a famous quotes and a membership card. Not a lot for your 50 euro

I left years ago. I will say for all their resources their administration is shocking. I would think the staff are paid and not volunteers. Wrong addresses being used even though you emailed, double charging membership fees so you ask for a refund, taking 5 months to reply to membership queries. Acceptable for a volunteer organisation, unacceptable for professionally run.

And to you OP, I never posted on reddit ever and if I ever posted on politics here then tbh I do not even remember, might have been 5 years ago.

Organisers do not run lists and demand to text in radio shows and argue online. That's what people decide to do themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭mikethecop

weren't you one of the posters caught using multiple accounts to drive shinner propaganda and got banned from another forum for it ??

56000 blindly pro shinner posts and you still needed multiple accounts

what a cult

Not hard to believe that Mike.

If there was anything sinister about this, (it's easy to check out if you are bothered and don't mind spending the money) I'm sure our intrepid journalist class would have done it and reported.

Not surprised at the failures in administration. They were caught a year or so ago running a coach and horses through GDPR regulations.

In fairness, it was not only SF that had issues with GDPR. A 'coach and horses' for almost everyone in the audience.

The DPC found that Fianna Fáil; Fine Gael, the Green Party and, Sinn Féin, had used marked copies of the electoral register and made recommendations on the subject.

It said that Fianna Fáil should update its privacy policy if using marked registers and that Fine Gael’s Privacy Policy "should include information concerning the processing of personal data that it undertakes in relation to the information contained on the Register of Electors and on the Marked Electoral Register".

Sinn Féin must tell voters about its election database, says watchdog (irishexaminer.com)

• Advertisement

To a standard attempt to pretend that an issue affects only one party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭maccored

are you trying to pretend otherwise? Lads, i read the shinner thread in the other forum (which I cant post in unfortunately) as my daily entertainment. it's like ... i dont know what its like but one thing is certain - the fear is real. Its like half the DUP are posting in there trying reverently to convince themselves that SF arent going to wipe the board in the next election. So much focus - as I say - on a single party they all claim to hate.

Keep it up - i love it. its not really as boring as I was making it out to be - and the like of the indo etc are doing a bang on job gaining support for SF. people arent stupid.

Surely the online supporters thing is basically hokem/lolcow stuff?

As amount of people that make up their mind from online input Vs local/personal interaction is less than 20% (possibly as low as 5%) iirc?

Like yous see all those people raging online about shinners/ra/old ra/ffg etc,when in reality it affects people to same extent as online discourse deos about refugees/feminism/trans etc.....people will look in at it,like be informed/their input,but will ultimately make decision on how it affects their locality.......there's no substitution for actual on-the-ground work

This was the exact arguement that FF ran with in 2007 about FG,

sure theyve no experience at the job Yadda Yadda,and look how it ended their,at some stage we need stop the excesses this government has been engaging in

same will likely be necessary after a decade or so,of SF being in power,it's hardly earth shattering that political parties/politians have a shelflife in power

Wow, classy. Another example of the type of goon they encourage to spend their days online canvassing for them.

This is the type of appalling outcome that the behaviour of SF online supporters lead to. Their consistent and persistent attempts to normalise the brutality of the PIRA leads to situations like this where victims can be re-traumatised. The young woman who did this to Arlene Foster is a disgrace to Irish people.

I’d say it has more to do with the culture of belligerence fostered first and foremost by politicians themselves on both sides.

But blame one side if you think that is appropriate.

A horrible thing to do.

More to do with t trying to gain herself some notoriety by acting like a goon.

In my opinion.

Let’s not turn asshat behaviour into a 40 page rabbit hole.

• Advertisement

Yeh, agree with that too. Let’s not give her oxygen.

We could spend all day posting examples and have fun being selectively raging.

Advertisement