Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cargo Bike Wheel Alignment

Options
  • 18-06-2022 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi guys, I've got an electric cargo bike and the steering is out of alignment. I have to turn the handlebars slightly to the left to make the wheel go straight.

Is it a case of adjusting the swing arm underneath the bike that controls the steering or would it be something else?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Depends on how your steering works, but on our bakfiets you'd normally adjust it at the handlebars. It's a threaded headset, so you'd loosen the hex bolt in the centre of the top of the steering column a bit, tap the bolt with a rubber mallet or a normal hammer through a piece of wood; the handlebars should rotate independently of the front wheel then. Line the handlebars up with the spur at the bottom of the steering column that the steering rod connects to, and tighten the bolt again. Make sure the handlebars no longer move independently of the steering column.

You have to be careful not to loosen the bolt too much before you hit it, as the internal wedge can come off and fall to the bottom of the steering column.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭The Darkroom

Thanks Tom. I got it but used no hammer. Apparently the bike I have has a threadless headset. I just loosened the two bolts at handle bars slightly. Then I had someone stand at the wheel to keep it straight and moved the handle bars accordingly. After a few rides made some further adjustments and was done. Saved me a few quid.

The breaks are a bit soft on it to squeeze and might need tightening at cables but other than that I'm good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

That's good to hear. You might be able to tighten the brakes via the barrel adjusters at the handlebar end of the brake cables.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Check are your pads are worn if you cannot adjust the cable easilty (or they are hydraulic)? I found out the hard way that worn pads quickly become lack of brakes much to the dismay of the car I landed in (100% my fault)

Advertisement