Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day of protests...doh doh dooooohh

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

No. The government and their cheerleaders repeatedly use the term. Yet MM has 3 billion in his back pocket. Don't be fooled. They used this when SF were under 5% in the ranking yet managed to find the money for the Irish Water quango. The NCH has a skys the limit blank cheque. SF policy or promises can't be used as an excuse. FG / FF find the money when they want to.

People went out and protested. Trying to make it about Paul Murphy and SF might be comfortable, but its actually all about FF/FG/Greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Look around the threads, and you will see posters of a certain political persuasion complaining about the money going to the Ukrainians.

Think of the parties that follow the mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Tried two restaurants for a bite to eat last night in my town and both fully rammed and booked out.

I fully realise this doesn’t represent the wider picture but even me who thinks there is a lot of exaggeration was shocked.

Not sure if this was reflective of the turnout on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

sorry to hear. but you have zero time for the left wing clowns but were there endorsing them and their confused message? you clearly do have time for them.

The issue here is protests like that will achieve literally nothing to curb inflation or rising costs. a cursory glance at 1977 and what happened will give us a big insight into all the populist bs.

I've seen people query were the magical 3 billion came from. Also you have absolutely no idea of the political persuasion of many of the people you claim support particular parties. Sure we've one lad trips over himself to defend FG but claims to be a Green.

• Advertisement

All of which may be, to some extent, true but fails to explain your support for (i) the posturing millionaire leftie in the Aras, and (ii) the Halfwit Alliance, aka the "vote for us and we'll continue to protest against more or less everything ..... except immigration" group.

Higgins is the best president we've ever had. I admire how he ripped a tea party lad asunder some years ago. He's on point about housing.

I don't know what alliance you are talking about or why you think I support them. I will say the 'protest more or less everything' shows you don't pay much attention to the details. I'd imagine anyone protesting something would have an issue. You are caught up in the government party spin of dismissing protest that doesn't agree with government.

When ordinary members of the public feel strongly enough to go out and protest, all government and their cheerleaders can do is associate them with targets they can attack, as we saw during the IW protests, because ridiculing the general public isn't a good look.

It doesn't take a postgrad qualification in the bleeding obvious for anyone to claim that our housing policy is a disaster. A more intelligent contribution would have involved asking searching questions about where all of the new houses are all going. But there's no way that Stumpy would dream of rocking the boat by doing that kind of ting! Mind you, for the more perceptive among us, it begs the question as to what exactly the wee man did to tackle the issue during his 50-odd years of well-paid "public service" - as a former Minister in a reckless and spendthrift governemnt he can hardly claim to have been an innocent bystander.

Providing potable water to householders and removing and treating their waste water and excrement costs money. I have the good fortune to have a well that produces some of the purest water in Ireland and a well-maintained septic tank, so - like approximately 20% of the people of Ireland - I pay my own way and am happy to do so. Hence I saw nothing impressive about a crowd of parasites wanting someone else to pay for providing them with such services. That you consider such self-interested protests as being in some way admirable is a devastating critique of your mentality.

He's right in what he said. Now you want him to quantify it and look back over 40 odd years.

I simply noted that when the general public protest, the government and their cheerleaders like to associate politicians they can attack to the protesters. You brought the merits, or lack there of, of IW into it. Every tax payer pays their own way. We pay for our water. The new quango and crony jobs didn't sit well, nor did the siteserv deal, which is still under investigation.

Those groups of protestors that you defend so assiduously are the modern day equivalent of the mob with pitchforks, all anger and no sense.

• Advertisement

I defend the right to protest. The rest and the added colour is in your head fighting with the shinners for prime real estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

The idea of doing protests is great and all but in realty nothing gets done youd just be out wasting your time

For protesters, anger is a policy; that's why they all loved Mickey Dee's little tirade last week!

In fairness, it enables the gardaí to earn some welcome overtime. I'd say that, secretly, they love Smirker Murphy and his ever-present megaphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

A day of protest eeehhh, I must have missed it. I was out on my bike chugging away on the roads humming along to myself. I did stop for 'Ben and Jerrys' in Adare and saw no hullabaloo there either.

Dan.

Sad to see so many whipped people keen to dismiss and insult the general public for getting off their arse to protest about issues they care about.

Should go without saying, but numerous protests have helped usher in change or in the least colour the official Irish stance. We shouldn't be so quick to **** on the protests we don't like.

But it is not the general public who are getting off their arse to protest about issues they care about.

In this case, it is the whingers and moaners who got off their arse to protest about something different this week. There is a group of around 10,000 people in Dublin who are prepared to go and protest about anything, this groups was drawn from them, serial whingers and moaners. We have quite a few similar types on here.

It makes it impossible to discuss the real issues when they are filling pages with moans and whinges about everything.

You claim to know all of these people and their motives. Do you work for the former KGB or Stasi?

I know people who protested during the IW quango who never protested before.

What makes it impossible to discuss real issues is goverment supporting moaners and whingers dismissing people trying to draw attention to real issues these pro government party moaners and whingers don't like, or draw unwanted attention to their government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

To be honest protests did kill the water charge and the bin charge for a while. It also forces the government to try to justify what they are doing about the issue

You can buy condoms in Ireland. Same sex couples have more rights. Our stand on apartheid etc.. numerous items.

• Advertisement

What a silly little piece of drivel.

I don't know of a single government supporter who moans and whinges. They are all happy to be living in a country which is one of the very best places to live on this planet.

The only problem they have is to put up with the nonsense from the serial moaners and whingers.

But here we have people wanting attention brought to real issues and here you are whingeing and moaning about them and claiming they are not honest in their concern. Do you see how you are the problem you are complaining about?

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭dasa29

It's all good saying people wanting attention and protesting but one question I have is where are the Dubs because if 1% of the Dublin population protest that would be 12000 minimum at most protests not counting people from outside Dublin, which would be better than the 5000 - 10000 from all over Ireland we see at the moment.

Also I think the not paying IW bills did more damage against the water changes than the protests.

Advertisement