Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One-way threads.

Options
  • 20-06-2022 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭

I have a question, and apologies if it should be Helpdesk rather than here. What's the policy (or is there one?) for threads that are essentially just one poster in a protracted conversation with themselves, with the very odd interjection from a second poster? Do they really add anything to the site??? There was one closed (rightly, imo) fairly recently in music but I can think of two others currently active, one in tGC and the other in Horse Racing. The former is basically just a platform for a poster who doesn't really engage otherwise to link-dump on his favourite topic and the latter is pretty much just one poster shite-talking to himself, with occasional encouragement from one other poster.

Isn't the entire raison d'etre for Boards that it's a discussion site? I'm not sure these threads qualify as discussion and one in particular is forever clogging up the front page. Just curious as to whether they're technically allowed?

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

As a general rule, that would tend to get shutdown. As you've mentioned, it's a discussion site, not a blog. There would be exceptions for things such as progress logs style threads, where other users might be following someone's progress, but there wouldn't be much need for them to post on such as thread. But someone just babbling to themselves, wouldn't be allowed.

Advertisement