Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn Reseed question

Options
  • 20-06-2022 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭

Just reseeded a lawn and an getting these growing.

What are they and do I need to put a lawn feed and weed killer on now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Apologies - just noticed there was a plant and weed ID thread pinned to the top of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

DO NOTHING! Except maybe a bit of watering if needed.

Not even sure where you can get a selective weedkiller thats got a label recommendation for use on just emerged grass seed. Normally you want 6 months of growth before you spray.

So don't panic I've seen worse and it will get better. Don't rush to do the first cut and don't cut too low trying to get rid of the weed leaves. I'd be thinking another 2 weeks before you put a mower anywhere near it and even then you want to be cutting no closer than 60mm. All that weed is soft growing annual stuff that will go after the first few cuts.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Looks like it needs watering too. You can pick the big weeds by hand but the grass will outcompete the smaller weeds and they'll die off. Water and be patient. Cut on a high setting when you have a good 3-4 inches of growth and it will thicken out. Good luck.

Is it chickweed or what weed is that growing?

Any reason why the heath is patchy like this?

Anything I can do other than wait?

• Advertisement

My guess is the quality of the soil, its nutrient values and its degree of compaction. If we can rule out compaction then you can improve that over time with feeding. You can even do something about compaction with a garden fork but for the time don't sweat it. At this time of year it could just be a little more humus in the greener areas is holding a little more moisture so the grass is growing better.

Looks to me like the green areas are either imported soil or soil that was moved to bring up levels, because I've seen that happen.

Ground was all rotavated prior to seeding.

Seed was rolled in with a lawn roller.

Is there any feed to apply to it now at this stage?

I've just been reading that September is the month to take care of seeding and feeding the lawn. I need to do something with it it is patchy and grass is dark/light in different sections.

What do I apply to this lawn? We have an issues with rabbits and they have been digging up the boundaries and preventing grass from developing.

I'll say something about the edge. Probably looks like that because of the concrete haunching just under the surface. Unless you dig the soil up and remove a good bit of the concrete I suspect it will get like that everytime we get a long dry spell.

The other areas look a bit like dog urine?

All will grow over given time.

No dogs about. Only rabbits. Their dung is everywhere. Grass grows well in green bits, but there is hardly anything to cut in the light areas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement