Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering switching from Vodafone 1GB fibre to EIR fibre 500MB -hadware access considerations.

Options
  • 20-06-2022 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

i'm currently paying Vodafone EUR70 / month for 1GB fibre broadband (actual hardwired performance is closer to 400Upload & 400Download).

Eir are offering 500 MB for EUR 39.99 / month for 24 months & I'm tempted to swithch to realise a saving of Eur30 x 24 months = EUR720 but i have 2 reservations i hope you all can advise on:

1] THe fibre cominto my house runs to a fibre "junction box" a Lan cable come out of the "junction box" & into the Vodafone router. Would Eir need to access / change this "junction box" or would they just replace the router? I ask because the "junction box is screwed to the wall in a difficult access area & I don't want the hassle of dismantling storage to allow for the changing of that box. Accessing the LAN cable is ok but junction box works would be difficult.

2] Would you move from Vodafone EUR70 / month for 1GB fibre broadband to Eir 500 MB for EUR 39.99 / month for 24 months? If not why not?

thanks all in advance for your thoughts & experiences on the EIR move.🙏

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

The "junction box" is the ONT (optical network terminal which converts from fibre to copper Ethernet. It is installed and owned by Eir's Wholesale Division - Openeir. Vodafone just rent the line from Eir and put their own router on it. No reason to change the ONT if you are changing to Eir.

Regarding the difference between 1000Gbps and 500Mbps - there is a significant difference - but most users don't have requirements that will show the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭creedp

I've spoke to a number of people who opted to install 500mbps rather than the 1gbps fibre because they have no need for the faster service. It seems to me that for a lot of people the only difference would be faster downloading of large ps5 / xbox games and then only if they couldn't wait the extra 15 or 20 minutes it would take with the 500gbps service.

Personally I'm going to opt for the 500gbps fibre when the time arrives as my young lads can certainly wait the extra few minutes to download their games

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭long_b

Upload on Eir 500 Mb is 100 Mb if that's an issue for you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

Eir have written to me to say my package will go up €5.00 euro on 1st August even though I am with an offer and then 3% plus CPI on 1st April and thereafter. I'm on 49.95 12 month deal.

I rang VF and after a while got a 30 pm for 500mb offer plus phone. Why don.t you ring VF and say you are thinking of switching? Eir would not match VF or even give a new deal as I was still in contract that they had breached so in effect was out of contract but they would not budge.

Eir will bill you an extra 5 pm from August and then 3% plus cpi in February.

ps I just noticed you have 400mb down and 400mb up , is that SIRO?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Upload on the 500 plans is usually 50 I think? 400 uploads sounds like some sort of enterprise/business plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭raxy

The main thing to consider is if you hate yourself enough to become an eir customer!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭In the wind

Babelfish- thanks for the response this was the core info I was after.

swoofer, I just might try that. i know that EIR have a brutal reputation for customer service so if I can get a compromise out of VF, I'll do that- thanks for the pointer.

Thanks to all for responding. much appreciated I got all the info I needed. 🙏

So is upload on Vodafone's SIRO gigabit so lord knows how the OP is measuring 400 up

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭In the wind

My mistake folks my best upload result is ~102Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

When you call Vodafone the first agent will make you an offer but request to speak to the Customer Options team as they often can do a better price than the first agent. Sky have 500Mb for 35e, 1Gb for 45e- I believe the same with Pure and this is the same as Vodafones own new customer pricing. If you quote that to them they'll look to match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

Just FYI, I was initially with Pure 500 getting speeds around 400mbps, when switxched to Voda 1000 speed dropped to around 270, after initial 12 months I switched to 500mbps and this resulted in further speed reduction down to around 220mbps

Because their (Voda) pricing almost doubled after a year I switched to Sky 500 where I am getting the same 400mbps I was getting with Pure initially. Something doesn't add up - since the line is capable it seems it was Vodafone slowing down the link.

BUT

Sky seem to be throttling torrents as I've discovered recently, basically I can see connections being made and then cut after couple seconds. Running torrents via VPN is not affected, so I am suspicious here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

It might just be down to the modem with Vodafone. Pure sent a family member the F2000 modem for their 500mbps broadband and the speed always between 20meg and 100meg with daily dropouts so absolutely nowhere near where it should have been. I rang and requested a fritzbox instead of the junk F2000 and it has been a bulletproof 420 and above ever since. It might have been that. I think the newer F3000 that Eir current use is fairly solid just as a side note. Modems themselves play a big part in the end user experience. Sometimes it's worth just investing in a good modem and it shouldn't really matter who your provider is after that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭dam099

Are you testing over Ethernet or WiFi? Its unusual to not get 500mpbs at least some of time on a fibre to the home line from any provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

Forgot to mention, I am using my own modem (Asus with MerlinWrt) for these and cabled only connection. I also tried Voda modem to no difference.

I don't really care about the speeds, I was rather putting emphasis on Sky throttling the torrents in my reply.

Advertisement