Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hydrangeas question

Options
  • 20-06-2022 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Hi, my hydrangea is starting to flower, but the flowers don’t seem to be healthy. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

There's really only one reason hydrangea flowers wilt and that's too much sun and heat. They need afternoon shade at least. More watering and some shade is the answer, but they don't look too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

To be honest they get 5 hours of sun or so only. From 12-5 or so. Checked the soil and it’s pretty wet. The one beside it is growing fine I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Completely wrong time for sunlight. Only an issue on very bright sunny days like today.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

I know, I just love them and I had one in a very similar spot last year and it grew very well. This one is beside another one that is growing fine. I don't know if I overwatererd to be honest. The leaves at the bottom are turning a little yellow and the soil is very moist. I'm going to hold off watering for a little bit to see if it improves.

Thanks for your advice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Wine weevil?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Looks grand to be honest, how does it look in the morning before the sun hits it?, remember we are at peak sun strength at this time of year.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement