Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Docklands 5k

• 20-06-2022 10:18pm

Anyone recommend this race which is happening this Thursday evening?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Its a very good race, flat and fast. Used to do it always when I was in the office. Couldn't face the hassle of traffic for the race now though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I've done it a few times and doing it again this Thursday. Very good race, totally flat and fast as a result. It can be crowded (or at least has been in past years), pacers with balloons and an easy course to navigate. Starts at Lime Street, loops back across the river and turn around point at 3Arena and back on yourself back around and across the liffey again. Just note that you don't finish at Lime street but another 500 meters or so up the quays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

If you're in the area it's a fine race to do, very fast/flat course...the only issues to me with the one time I did it is that it was busy startline so position yourself appropriately and with some luck on the wind (you usually get it at some stage along the stretch to the point...) you should get a very good time for yourself. If you're in pb shape it's a place you could do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

Have an entry to this on Thursday. Early weather report showing it is going to be 20 degrees.

• Well it was all of the above - Congested for about 600m at the start, flat, fast and very warm.

I don't know why these races start on narrow little roads, with no use of the footpath or bike lane and 1300 entries - if they reversed the route and started near the 3 arena, they wouldn't have this problem. Anyway, there's probably a logical reason for it.

Didn't really know what to make of the commentary, at one stage she was trying to spur the couch to 5k runners home

telling them that they would be able to get a well deserved burger at the after party when they finish 😂

Sure she probably never hosts these types of events.

It was an enjoyable evening, better than sitting on the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

The high temperature and lack of wind were a balls. As mentioned, the start is very tight. Very minor qualm is that perhaps they should have more granular pacing groups. 20', 25', 30' etc is probably a little too wide for a 5k with ~1,300 runners. It was organised well though and the marshalls were well placed throughout. Water at the end and then around for hot food and a beer if you were inclined.

• Agree with everything you said there, particularly about the marshalling, very efficient and friendly volunteers.

I actually started at the back because I just wasn't prepared to be sandwiched in the middle of it all in the heat.

You're right though, a staggered start with pacers two or three mins apart for the more popular paces would've broken it up more.

Advertisement