Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revoked credit card

• 20-06-2022 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some advice here. I have a credit card which i rarely use and used it in the past for an odd online purchase before Visa debit became a thing. Anyway, the credit card company applied the government levy and i never realized. I missed the payment and got charged the late fee for 3 months. I happened to open one of the statements and it mentioned that I could be reported to the credit register if i didnt pay.

So i rang them up, explained my situation and they reversed all the late payment fees and i settled the small balance. This was in April 2021.

Fast forward to May 2022, i was refused a small loan. I was curious why and i requested a credit check. My credit card was showing as a current status of 'revoked' since April 2021 until now. Bearing mind the balance was zero for the entire 13 months and still is.

I rang them and they reviewed it and came back and said its accurate. I ont understand how my credit card can be revoked and on the credit register when the balance is zero. I asked why wasn't this communicated to me when i called in April 2021? They said they didnt have to and that they had wrote to me weeks earlier instead.

I really dont understand it. I have a zero balance. I rang and engaged with them in 2021 and cleared the account. Only for i checked my credit register, this could have gone on for years without me knowing.

Anyone know my options here or have any advice as they dont seem to think they did anything wrong?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You have to go back to the credit card company and get them to remove it

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wclarke20

I did - they said they cant and if i ask the credit register to remove it they will contact the credit card company and ask is the information accurate. They will tell them it is.

You're between a rock and hard place - the report is correct and the credit card company were nice enough to cancel the charge but the default still stands - if they won't remove it then you just have to wait (is it) 6 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,026 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What do you think is inaccurate?

You had a card, and an associated debt because you didn't open correspondence about the card. The debt has been cleared so your outstanding balance is now zero. The card has been revoked. The register will continue to show that you had a debt for whatever the threshold is after the account closed (was 5 years, I heard a whisper there was talk of changing it, don't know if it happened or not).

but the credit report states for May 2022 that the credit card is revoked and has been for every month since April 2021 on the list of whats owed on the credit report. I would have taken the it on the chin for the 1 month i messed up on last year but if it stays on record for 5 years, that clock only starts from today or when i ask them to re-instate my account or cancel it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply but maybe im not explaining myself. I settled the 12 euro debt in April 2021. Balance has been zero ever since but the credit status of my credit card is still revoked.

If i had had checked the credit register in 10 years, it would still be showing as revoked. Thats what they told me on the phone. The 5 years clock hasnt even started yet which implies i cant pay off a balance of some sort.

Maybe Im totally in the wrong here but it doesnt make any sense to me.

But that information is correct and will be on record til the 5 or whatever years is over unless the company removes it

I'm not sure why you think that a default in one month shouldn't show for any check going forward?

I understand that but the 5 years hasn't started yet.

The revoked status didn't start in April 2021 and will come off it in April 2026.

Its still current and active.

If I cancel the account tomorrow, it will come off it in June 2027.

It will come off 5 years after it was added - in April 2021

How can you still have an account with them if it was revoked??? Did they not close the account?

No, they didn't. I'm still getting monthly statements.

The girl I was talking to wasn't great either. Maybe it's a communication thing but I'll have to speak to someone else.

• Advertisement

Send a very nice email to them, close the account and get the default revoked

Update:

Resolved via ombudsman

Can I ask which company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Many thanks for the update. Please do elaborate here as many of us do have an interest. So you went to the ombudsman on the basis that the revocation timer hadn't started and they found in your favour. On what basis was the decision made and how may this affect other card users, or how may we prevent/detect such activity?

Sorry for the delay in reply here. Notifications go to another email account which i rarely look at.

I always felt that it would be resolved through the ombudsman as the complaints department or customer service dept never engaged with me properly despite the evidence i had. The account did fall into arrears unexpectedly due to the govt levy and i never checked statements. When i did notice it, i contacted the company immediately and settled all balances to zero. I wasn’t told or communicated to in any way that my card would continue to have a status of revoked. And at no point was i told that my card was revoked. The credit card company believed they didnt have to tell me this information which is crazy really.

Any reasonable impartial view of this could see that they never communicated with me that they were revoking my card. They listened to recordings of my calls and agreed with me.

Unfortunately i cant name the company.

My only tips for the future would be to always check statements and letters. I was terrible for binning these without reading properly. TBH, i only found out it was revoked as i requested a CCR report and i only did that out of curiosity after listening to an interview on Today FM. If i didnt do that i would still have a black mark on my account despite it effectively being closed

Advertisement