Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GUBU (from the Irish times)

Options
  • 21-06-2022 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

GUBU tells the story of killer Malcolm Macarthur and how his crimes impacted the government of Taoiseach Charles Haughey.

https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/gubu/id1625588320]

I finished this recently and really enjoyed it - it goes through the case in a lot of detail, and it also covers a lot about the political context of the time. It's an interesting story that crossed over from true crime into politics

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Caquas

Deleted

Thread here already

Do a search before opening new threads

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭dog_pig

That thread was posted in the politics forum, this is the one for podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Notmything

While it was an enjoyable enough podcast, I thought they tied themselves in knots trying to connect Haughey to McArthur.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭steve_r

I’d agree with that, I think that if this happened under a different Taoiseach then the podcast wouldn’t have gone into as much detail on the politics of the day. I do find that period of Irish history interesting, I’m currently reading the Gary Murphy book on Haughey. There was a remark at the end of the final episode that some of the contributors like Bertie and Frank Dunlop were also invoked in controversy’s themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

The political context was important. Even before that summer, there were many rumours and stories about Haughey, some encouraged by him and his supporters, others by those against him. When the arrest happened and particularly, I think, when it was perceived the AG was 'allowed' to go on holidays, speculation went into overdrive. What was being covered up? It was an extraordinary coincidence that AG knew McArthur and, out of loyalty to McArthur's girlfriend, had given him a place to stay at that very time. It seemed like too much of a coincidence.

The killings had been especially callous and seemingly random. So there was a genuine fear that the killer would strike again.

Have a look at this thread on the same topic. I added some comments about the two recent best-selling books.

Some serious questions remain unanswered. But for excellent police work, Macarthur would surely have continued his crime spree from the comfort of the AG's apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 StudyLover

Thoroughly enjoyed this podcast. Really got a sense of the era.

Advertisement