Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Likely BER improvement given these changes to house.

• 21-06-2022 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All,

I am wondering should I bother getting a BER assessment done? This is to facilitate AIB mortgage rate change which needs the house to be at least B3. My house was assessed as D1, 10 yrs ago, it is a 3 bed semi with converted attic built in 1986.

Since then the following improvements have been made:

Replaced ancient boiler with baxi megaflo condensing boiler - heat and water now split and separately controlled by climote panel;

Open gas fired fireplace replaced with a stove sealing off fireplace;

Previously kitchen and conservatory were open plan, triple glazed double doors and windows have been installed in the previously empty window and door openings, so conservatory is now sealed off from the kitchen (this has greatly improved the house warmth overall);

However, I think these changes would only get us into C territory. Probably need solar panels or cavity pumped insulation to get me to the B range.

Would you lads agree with that?

Thanks!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

to be honest its impossible to tell. there are other factors that have a major impact on a BER rating.

the climate control doesnt give you time and temperature zoned control, as you would need :

(a) to have at least 2 space zones plus the hot water cylinder

(b) stats in these zones(including on the HW cylinder and

(c) having the ability to programme each of the zones independently for time and temperature.

that means while your heating control is just slightly better than having a programmer / timeclock on its own.

but if i was to put money on it, i wouldnt say it will reach a B3 or better from what you described. Elemental u values will be default and poor, windows will be poor unless installed post 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 contrafl0w

Thanks Syd. I would imagine you are right.

I went ahead with the mortgage rate change, so didn't get the BER dependent lowest rate. By the time I got a BER assessment and made necessary improvements and got another BER assessment to confirm B status, who knows where mortgage rates would be. Also whatever interest savings I made from changing to a lower fixed rate would be eaten up by house improvements.

Advertisement