Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir FTTH & different package options

Options
  • 21-06-2022 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been asked a 1000 times, but I can't locate the answer. For Eir's fibre broadband, they have 3 packages on offer per below. Are all of these proper FTTH options or the old fibre to the local exchange and copper lines to the house?

On a side note, the pricing for the 500mb looks a little off!! Same price for 12 & 24 months

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

yes all FTTH

the 12 month 500mb should be 34.99, try another browser

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

I get this with Chrome

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭feelings

Following up on this. The 12 month contract is €34.99 (up to 500mb) vs 24 month contract is €39.99 (500mb). I would have assumed longer contracts would be cheaper?

Does anyone know the difference between the two speeds, "up to 500mb" vs "500mb"? They're both fibre, so again would assume you either get 500mb or you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Where the term 'up to' is used it means that the actual speed can be much less than the quoted speed. Historically it meant that the connection into the home was over copper. (ComReg allows the Broadband suppliers use fibre in their product descriptions even if the connection into the home uses copper.)

Thanks NewClareman, i understand that alright, especially on the old xDSL products. But I've asked Eir sales and they say it's exactly the same. They don't know why it's "up to 500mb" in one and "500mb" in the other. I don't trust anything from Eir, so I wanted to confirm it before going ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭RobiePAX

500 MB/s is a typo. It should always say "up to" for legal reasons because they can never guarantee exactly that speed.

Eir has two main Fibre cables.

Up to 100 MB/s and up to 1000 MB/s. These are two physically different cables.

You might notice where is 500 MB/s? We'll 500 MB/s is just 1000 MB/s with a limit placed to cap you at 500 MB/s to sell it at cheaper price.

Their Gigabit cable is honestly best internet in Ireland. Just make sure you actually live where Gigabit is available, that you understand they'll increase your price every year in April, and negotiate to have it installed for free otherwise it will be €150.

Apparently the "up to 500mb" is on a shared line fibre from the cabinet, where as the "500mb" product is not shared from the cabinet - that's official line from Eir. Does that sound right?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

Unfortunately I took out a 24 month contract this time last year @ 39.99 but now I am paying €44.99 since April. When I contacted eir, I was told " read the small print" that the can increase price whenever they like.

If I had only taken out the 12 month , I could now switch to Sky for €30.

Advertisement