Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Managing Teenager Screentime

Options
  • 21-06-2022 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭

Hi folks - just wondering how parents with teens have gone about moderating or managing their teen kids' screen time? Phone and gaming in particular.

Specifically interested in people who have been in this situation and have had to deal with it; there is an awful lot of unhelpful advice out there from people who havent been in this position.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Presuming they're off school for summer I used to let them have a couple of hours,then tell them it was enough and they had to get fresh air and move about for an hour-wasn't too fussed if they were doing chores,walking the dogs or just playing.

If I had to tell them several times after repeated warnings I turned the electric off at the fuse box.

Also used to make sure we had 3 sit down meals together a day for a break from it and the chance to chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Thanks, thats good advice. Its a bit extreme when you have to turn off the fuse box, but c'est la vie I have often considered it.

Sit down meals also a good idea, though part of our challenge is older child sleeping in late/ staying up late (which is normal) and younger getting up early.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i think id be driven demented if i was a parent in regards this, it wouldnt surprise me if i installed a mobile radio blocker in the house, just to introduce some sort of control, having kids up all night on their phones, would drive me insane! best of luck

Advertisement