Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC cable question

Options
  • 21-06-2022 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

I have a pair of 700w powered speakers. The power cable (IEC) that came with the speakers has a 3A fuse. I needed longer cables so I picked up some today. They have a 5A fuse. Before I open the packaging would the new 5A be ok with the speakers?

In the speaker manual the following is mentioned about the power:

• Connection: IEC
    • Voltage: 100–120 V~, or 220–240 V~; 50/60 Hz
    • Fuse: 100–120V T6.3AL AC250V or 220–240V T3.15AL AC250V
    • Consumption: 350 W

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭phonypony

No issue I'd say, the fuse is there to protect the cable, the speakers have their own slow blow fuse. You could always swap the 5A fuses out and replace with the 3A from the other plug if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Nice one! I thought that might have been an option but didn’t want to start doing something I wasn’t too sure of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭zg3409

The cable will be fine. For extra safety swap out the 5 amp fuse for the 3 amp fuse in the old cable but I would not be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

I agree with the above. I'd say stick with the 5A fuse (the 3A fuses tend, in my experience not to be reliable - often get nuisance failures)

Advertisement