Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree removal possible bird nest

Options
  • 21-06-2022 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi,

i have a thorny bush/tree in my back garden that I would like to remove. But I noticed today a small Robin hanging around its base and climbing in the tree. When I investigated I saw a small mud looking nest only about 2ft from the ground. I didn’t see the Robin enter the nest nor can I see inside the nest but I am a bit lost now as to what to do.

I would love any advice, is there a way of relocating a nest, might it be another birds and abandoned nest? Does this sound like a typical robins nest?

Also does the law forbidding hedge cutting during the summer months apply to bush/trees in a residential garden,

thanks for any help with this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Robins nest quite low down. If there are young about and no sign of current occupancy, then you can go ahead as that nest is finished with. They'll build a new one if having a second clutch of eggs. The law does not affect residential tree felling.

Most species have first clutches complete at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you have any doubt back off and wait for a couple of months.

Relocating a nest is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It doesn't sound like a Robin nest. They like moss.

Be careful about looking too close, they are easily sacred away from the nest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I know you'd like to remove it but let the birds fledge before you cut it all down, laws aside thats the correct thing to do. It won't take too long - our robins are on their second brood already.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Captain Kidd

Thanks that’s very helpful, I could see if I can get closer to see if any eggs are there. Or observe a bit longer. So most first fledglings are gone by now. Any signs or sounds I should be looking for to make sure the nest isn’t occupied. Would the mother be constantly going back and forth. Or sitting on the eggs and the male visiting? It did seem empty but the angle was tilted and I could really only see the back. And if it is empty, the Robin would be able to build a nest again no problem. Is the nest even in use when there are no eggs? Thanks every body, last thing I would want to do is disrupt the Robin and it’s fledglings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Our robins have a couple of goes at building a nest, they can choose incredibly stupid places to nest where they are guaranteed to be attacked by rats or cats or whatever. They seem to keep rearing young though. I'd give it the benefit of the doubt but they should be finished soon. If there was a robin going into the hedge there may be activity still there, or it could be a nest of something else.

You would see birds going to and fro if the eggs have hatched. If there are young there will probably be droppings below the nest - the swallows nest has my paving destroyed just outside the door, I was not quick enough to put a tray down - its there now!

No droppings around a Robin's nest. They remove the faecal sacks.

Oh, thanks for pointing that it, I didn't know, though I have a vague memory of reading it now you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

Just started to get the swallow droppings problem here as well with a nest just over the back door. A tray would be something to trip over so tried just wedging a piece of plywood cut to fit just over the door and it seems to be working so far. Posted a video when I put it up here. Only draw back is the light from above the door is not reaching the door step as well as it was but with the long evenings this is not a problem. Thought I might have to do something to fix it in place but since I cut it to just the right size it seems to have wedged in place fairly easy on its own and it should be easy to take away again once the nest is out of use. Not sure if this idea would be applicable for your own nest but just thought it might be an idea to consider.

Happy gardening!

Thanks for the thought, but its not a problem as the nest is just to one side of the door over unused space so the large shallow planter I have put down is working fine. For their size, swallows have enormous droppings 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I'm also needing to fell a tree soon as we've very little light coming into the back of the house. There are lots of birds flying from tree to tree now and I see little ones who are untrained in the dangers of flying into windows or sitting on window sills and watching us with great curiosity!! Its great fun watching their antics. However, should I wait until mid-July or even August to take down the tree? There is a lot of activity in all the trees but although I can't see very well I'm afraid there might be nests there.

If you're waiting until all nesting of all birds is finished then it will be mid September.

Birds in a tree don't mean nests. Indeed if they are visible it's unlikely they are nesting, as they are more furtive around the nests.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just leave the job until the Autumn.

Thank you for the replies. I'll wait so. Better safe than sorry.

We have several birds - mostly a blackbird, the robin and some bluetits who are not a bit furtive about their nests. If they see the cats, or us, in the garden they more or less sit beside their nests shouting 'I have a nest here. My nest is here! Don't come near the nest that is here, where I am sitting!' Fortunately the cats are way past chasing anything and are not interested, in fact I saw a swallow dive-bombing one of them yesterday and she took off back to the house in a hurry.

I feel bad for the birds getting rid of the tree but it has to be done. Our other problem is a fox that comes through the garden every evening and we've seen it several times climbing a tree/shrub and taking a bird. We've found a dead starling just the other day. Don't know if the fox left it or there's some other reason. We've also had a sparrow hawk swooping in. Murder in the shrubbery!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So you've a tree tht attracts all kinds of wildlife and you want to be rid of it?????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

To be fair a lot of trees planted in residential areas need to be chopped down at some stage, often wrong trees planted to big a tree for small gardens or bad placement.

There was a tree planted about a foot from the back corner of my garden, its already knocked some blocks off the back wall and I'm worried about what more damage roots might do to foundations of wall or next doors shed, silly place to put a big tree, its going to have to go. I might well put another tree down in that corner but bit of distance from wall and more appropriate tree.

I have at least half a dozen other large shrubs/trees full of life which have been here since the 60's. The one I have to chop down is far too big and cutting the light out, which does nothing for the life inside our home. It was planted 20 years ago in the belief it would grow to 8ft, that's what it said on the label, it's now up to the roof of the house so the label was a 'tad' off or mis-labelled. We look after any wildlife that enters our garden, never done feeding and watering them so I think they can give up one tree to save our sanity don't you agree?

Advertisement