Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age would I have to be to insure an older car in Ireland

• 22-06-2022 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Irish car insurance is a joke. Plain and simple. I'm convinced that we have some of the worst if not the worst insurance in all of Europe if not the world. The types of cars I'm into are 80s/90s/early 00s Japanese cars. But it looks like I might have to wait over 7 or 8 years to even try and get insurance on one. Just for the hell of it I put in that I was 26 and had 5 years of no claims on a car I wouldn't mind owning when I'm that age. Even at that age with that amount of no claims they still wouldn't quote me. Meanwhile I know a 22 year old in the UK who owns a AMAZING Nissan S15 and has insured it for about €1,000 per year. The difference between here and the rest of the world is absolutely appalling and all of my online friends from the US, UK, Australia, Netherlands etc are all absolutely astounded with how awful we have it. Just wondering if anyone knows anything I don't. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

All i know is it was extremely hard to insure my 2004 car due to it being over 10/15 years old, most insurance companies couldn't quote me. I personally have found AXA to be the best insurance for quotes. I pay approx €70 a month n have over 5 yrs no claims bonus. I don't think age is a major factor, its more so that you're at the legal appropriate age to drive, and no claims bonus and car age can come into it and if you're being insured under a named driver or under your own name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Likely age 25 but could be looking at 30 depending on the car.

Another idea is to have a main car insured as normal and then have the Jap car as a classic for insurance, the insurance companies offering this do limit the mileage you can do but it might let you enjoy it at weekends without the expense of just insuring it, this starts around 25 years old for cars. Official vintage status is 30 years for the €56 a year motor tax.

There's various companies offering it, Axa for one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭zg3409

Jap imports are difficult to insure in general and boy racer cars even more so. As suggested if you have a daily driver boring car for cheap insurance, then insure the weekend car under classic insurance (most classic policies need you to have a main car). Limited mileage. May be third party only. May need to join classic club. Your age will be an issue, and even over 25 may be no good, you may need to be over 30. The age of car for classic is important too the older the better, nothing under 15 years old. Ring carol Nash and tell them what you would like, and they might be able to say yes or no before you buy anything. But insurance rules vary year to year. I am in my forties and still have difficulties getting quotes for boy racer cars. Those that do quote tend to be high.

Some people just get a track only car and generally no insurance required

Advertisement